Sign in to follow this  
DaveVR6

Other jobs worth doing while replacing valve stems on vr6?

My VR6 has done 90k and now reguarly puffs out clouds of blue/gray smoke when quickly accerating, which I hear is quite a common VR6 issue and needs the valve stems replacing.

Just wondering what other jobs are worth doing while the engine is open (performance-wise or just general maintenance) ??

Ta

I got a second hand VR cylinder head rebuilt a couple of weeks ago.

Had new valve stem oil seals & valve guides fitted, the valve seats were reground and I had the head skimmed. Cost me about £250.

Can vouch for this as I had the head skimmed on my previous '92 VR and had nothing but problems afterwards. Replaced in the end with a non-skimmed head and Sold it on after purchasing the lovelly '94 I have now.

Also, not much clearence between valves and piston as is, so skimming is not advised full stop on a VR head.

Dutch

I hadn't even thought of it as a potential problem to be honest.

Really hoping everything's going to be OK!

Not a good idea skimming the VR head, it can throw the cam timing out if they take too much off.

When I had my Golf VR6 head skimmed, he only took off 3 thou and he told me that he had also skimmed 3 thou off of each of the valves to compensate. Head looked like new afterwards and ran beautifully. I did a further 20k of grilling it on country lanes with no issues. I supopose 3 thou isn't much though.