Sign in to follow this  
Not_Aircooled_or_Taxfree

Bad VR6 tick over and missfire

I need some advise on the ignition system on the VR. Currently it is running rather rough and seems to have a miss fire at low revs, there is a lot of vibration through the steering wheel and car body. Also it does not feel as if it is running to its full potential, power wise.

It is in need of a head rebuild because there is an oil leek in and around the seals etc. I was wondering if this leek might be interfering with the tick over and ignition?

Is driving it like this going to be a problem I am not going to be using it much but I need to get it down to Bristol from Bedfordshire this weekend.

It would really help me if there were some information about the dizzy and ignition system for a 94 VR6.

It has also started to back fire when the engine is hot and in town traffic.

The problem started at E38, I hope the car has not caught Nick’s pox

I have tried the search but it keeps coming up with all sorts of un-VR6 related stuff.

Ta Alex

Have you checked the plugs? If your using oil chances are at least 1 of them will be fouled up.

I'm in a simular situation at the mo, but as long as you keep an eye on the oil level and the plugs it should be OK, once you fix the current rough running issue. I have to replace plug 6 every 5-6000 km's at the moment too, otherwise same symptons you describe return to my VR.

I also was beginning to think my lack of power/poor idle/occsasional stalls etc. was also due to a knackered head and or gasket. Replaced some sensors and she's back to full song. Occasional dip in power/hesitency at low revs recently, but I put that down to plug 6 being fouled up again due to the oil getting into cylinder 6. Will replace it this weekend and expect total smoothness again.

Anyhow, get it scanned as a sensor or 2 could be dieing, and if your MAF is the original one I would think about replacing that too, as it will need doing soonish anyhow.

Sounds like it could be a fouled plug and/or cam sensor to me, but impossible to predict on a VR as so many faults can cause the same symptoms!!

Dutch

btw, If it's a '94 I presume it's a coil packed VR? If so it would be missing on 2 cylinders if one of the coils was faulty.

Dutch

Aircooled has an L reg, so it should be a coilpack model.

As dutch says, VRs are fussy on plugs. I would check them and just replace the ones that are oil fouled (usally 1 and 6). Mine was burning a smidge on the overrun and replacing the fouled plug (1) always smoothed off the idle and restored power again. However, since switching to Silkolene Pro S 10W/50, the oil fouling has completely stopped, checked the plugs after 3000 miles and they're all dry and the same colour. With quantum silver, plug 1 was starting to foul by 2000 miles, so the better quality and thicker oil defo helps that issue.

Get it VAG-COM'd. I'll be in Saffron Walden on Sunday, which isn't far from Bedfordshire if you'd like to meet up and I'll scan it for you and give it a Haywire analysis?

Sh!te i am moving this week end and the VR is going to be in Bristol. I could really do with the VAG-com'd big/large/massive time though. The VR is hopefully going to Stealth soon to get the head rebuilt so I hope that that will fix my problems. My questions now are what plugs and what grade of oil?

Thanks anyway Kev, these forums are kick arse (apart from when you get a holly gimp going on and on and on about seats)

PS can you buy single plugs or do I have to buy a pack?

101 000 035AB for a VR to be precise, yours for around £9.87 inc VAT (Each)

And who says VW are a rip off? :wink:

Not_Aircooled_or_Taxfree, check the GB section out for the Metal Lead tool

Is that the funny looking apple corer thing for removing and pushing in the leads? coz if it is i have been "done" by the strelers already.

Am i just being a gay or are the leads on the coil pack a git to remove? I banged my hand quite badly trying to take them off today!

thats the one,dont do like i did and tug at the leads,i ended up buying a set for £130 because the stealer didnt have any leads in stock

Air cooled, I have dozens of spare plugs if you want a couple, but in all honesty if it's going to be receiving some stealth goodness soon, let them do the biz and cure your ills, but we're always here to help you out in the meantime ;-)

No don't use expensive plugs if you're burning, do you see smoke in the rear view on the over run?