Sign in to follow this  
Jay_vr6

Vw Red beru ignition leads stealers part number

Time for a new oil sump for the vr6 and have found a nice chap who's getting me a tidy vw discount so does anyone know the part number for the red leads or are they always red now (vr6 with coilpack) ?

thanks in advance :)

They're the only ones you can get and they're coilpack ones, but they'll fit a dizzy VR too (you just get a little bit extra slack on a couple of them).

No idea what the part number is tho :)

Coilpack leads are shorter than dizzy leads, and have stronger metal bits (as it were).

You can get a full set of OE berus in black from C&R for a good price, certainly about 60% of what VW will charge you for those red ones ..

I'm in need of a new set of leads, asked for the price on the Beru Reds when i was last in the stealers. They told they dont do them anymore, that true? or were they being mupets.

dr_mat, Sorry, but they're not. I fitted some reds to Dinkus' dizzy VR and they're slightly too long if anything. From what I can gather, the original dizzy leads are black and the CP ones are red and when comparing the two (dink's old ones) they're identical in construction.....for some reason VW just felt red was a nice pretty colour to use on CP models!

Tekara, try a search, someone put all the part numbers up a while ago and I got some reds in June from the dealer and they had plenty in stock at Milton Keynes. Also, Ford sell them aswell, for a quid or so a lead cheaper.

Just to clarify here:

The original Beru OE leads were black and had plastic/rubber ends that connect to the plugs.

These inferior quality leads were replaced by a superior build-quality lead that has metal ends quite a while ago and these old black ones have not been made since.

The only HT lead that VW stock for a VR are the revised design ones in red. So if you order VR leads from VW you will get the red Beru ones with metal ends.

If you want black ones, then you can get them from other sources (dunno who, but you can). They are the revised design ones with metal ends, but black, not red - so just becasue they're black doesn't mean they're of the old design.

Either way, the Beru ones will cost you the best part of an arm and possibly some leg as well, depending on how nice your stealer is.

Oh and Kev - the old black leads that you took off my silver VR were Bremi ones, (not Beru) from ECP and cost about £60.

Ah OK, I thought your old ones were VAG. But the reds are Bremi aswell ;-) It's only the dizzy/cp end that is Beru.... or have I got that wrong? Dunno...too much wine!

The leads that I took off were (relatively) cheap tat from ECP that were made by Bremi and cost about £60 (for sale on the cheap if anyone's interested - only a year old and stll good!) They do have metal ends, but they're slightly thinner and stiffer (ooh err) than the Beru leads.

The ones I (i.e. you) replaced them with are the red Beru ones with metal ends, from the dealers at something horrific like £100 for the set.