Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

shuddering at low revs

When I am at low revs and either put my foot on the accelerator or remove, theres quite a harsh shudder - esp on decelerating... Is this something to do with the fuel pumps?

Thanks

engine mounts have all recently been replaced. like within the last 2k miles. have had 2 suggestions - driveshaft? fuel area... i know that doesnt help - but i don't know any better so hoping someone here can give me some ideas!

i get that same problem mate with my G60. Is it like jolting? im still trying to find out what it is. I spoke to someone on here not so long ago who said their G60 did same

yeah totally like jolting. its feels very harsh at times... not sure if its a vacuum leak as was suggested some time ago. a friends g60 doesnt do that....

I would of also said engine mounts. My G60 was like that when I bought it and is going like that again. Have only about 8k on the new mounts but considering the car is making a bit more power then normal and also they were GSF mounts they might need changing again - the front at least. A solid front mount might be on the cards this time round.

Give the engine a good rocking by holding onto the alternator or charger and check for excess movement.

There are 3 mounts. The engine sits on them. They are rubber and they absorb and control engine movement. One at the front in the middle mounted to the cross member, one at the gearbox side and one at the back on the other side. Generally the front one goes first cause its under the most pressure getting pulled and stretched as the engine accelerated and bucks backwards in the engine bay.

i will certainly check the mounts but i just cant believe it could be them - they were replaced literally just a few months ago! vibratech front, oem rears... i'll let you know what i find after a shifty :)

my VR has same problem, really dont think it is engine mounts, feels like the engine isn't always accelerating properly, think it might be the crank sensor?

well I'm no mechanic but as far as I can gather, it sets the timing of the crank, so if it is contradictory to the ecu or cam shaft, the engine will be confused at to what is going on, hence why it splutters about.

G60's don't have a crank sensor as they have a traditional distributor system so don't need one... ;)

_leon_, Check out all of your vacuum hoses and also have a look and see if your throttle cable is frayed at the throttle end as this can cause problems similar to this too...

I changed all my plugs,leads and distributor recently so it prob ain't that on my one.....although I would of thought that had I not changed them, hmmm, will a diagnostics report show up the problem?

ok - well distributor is fine as its been cleaned and tended to very recently. plugs and leads - they havent been changed while i've owned the car so perhaps...

my boost leak (at the muffler box) - so this could be the cause of this? bet everyone says 'oh leon - you didnt mention that now did you!' lol

and sure i'll check out the throttle cable

thanks to all replies so far!