Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Golf R32, or Corrado r32......

Hmm, choices choices.

Hello again. Sorry about the little outbusrt in my for sale thread. I was getting pretty p1ssed off with the cars and the whole situation and just wanted rid of it ASAP.

as you may remember, the last time I drove my corrado was around Donnington, where I melted the fuel tank!!

Anyway, I'd bought a golf V6 4Motion to fix and sell on (knackered engine, I had a spare) but decided I liked it and I didn't like the corrado (it was doing my head in) so I took the R32 engine out of the Corrado and put it into the Golf. which I have now been driving and enjoying for a month.

For me I'm seeing it as my ideal car. I've got the R32 suspension on it and put it on my all time favourite wheels, 18" BBS LM's. It's a good size, practical (even though it only does 27mpg) and fairly anonymous (well, it was until I put the LM's on it) and I really can't fault it. sure it's no looker, but that's what I like abou it, it's so unasuming on the road, but if you look closer you can still spot the spec if it and know it's not just your average golf.

BUT, nearly every person I met at Edition 38 said "What are you doing!! why are you selling the corrado!!". They all think I'm insane. Sure, the niggles on it got the better of me and I refused to drive it again until they were all sorted for good ( I'm going to have to finish it of and sort it all out in order to sell it). It's going to have to go back on the road next year just to test it all again and get it noticed so I will have to have it on the road again early next year on a daily basis (can't afford to insure them both)

Thing is......I think I'm going to like the Corrado too much to want to sell it! but I'd be mad to get rid of the mk4 for the money I've got in it and it's worth (it's basically an r32 but for half the price)

Is it worth putting up with the corrado and all it's foibles? am I better off keeping the "normal" 4 year old car that I can drive and park anywhere without worry? common sense says mk4, heart (and coxy! ) says corrado...

I keep telling myself it's got to go and I'm keeping the mk4, but I have this feeling inside that when I swap the cars over in the spring and drag the finished corrado back out all done and with it's new wheels on that I'm going to fall i love with it all over again (at the moment i can't even look at it, i haven't touched it for 2 months)

I know I'd get a biased opinoin off you lot (as you either all love corrado's already or hate me and therefore couldn't care less!), but I'd be interested to see which you'd rather drive.

Bear in mind it's a daily car I need, not a show car, or a posing car. I don't go cruising about the town shpwing off, day or night and I can't be bothered with showing it anymore, and I work on a potholed industrial estate with a 5" seepdhump on the way in........

Just to really throw a spanner in the works.....

I'd probably say stealth'd Golf R32 over the Corrado.

I love my Corrado, but I'd also love something newer, easier parts to locate, etc..

And yes, I am Admin of THE Corrado Forum... lol

(Don't worry guys - not defecting to the dark side yet!)

Why not have a sensible-ish Mk4 as the daily runabout and then have a mad Corrado which doesn't need to be reliable so you can let loose on it ... ?

maaaaaaan that is a hard one, i can totally see why you like the mk4 and why would'nt you nice motor un-suspecting (to the law) and touch wood reliable, but if you got those little problems sorted and had the finished project sat in front off you your right you probably would fall in love all over again.

if it was me i would probably have no idea what to do but then i drive a g60 as am every day car and love it, so what sensible opinion can i possibly offer :lol:

Its a tough one for sure. Whilst i'm not in the same sort of predicament as you, I am in a different way with the same cars. I like the practicality of the MK4 (and the anonymity as you say) but I miss the looks and the head-turning abilities of the Corrado.

To be honest its a no brainer as I look at it for you. The MK4 has all the right options ticked, it has some desirable kit on / in it, and as you've said its heaps more practical. Plus those who know VW's will still know its a well sorted car.. just in MK4 guise it should at least attract marginally less attention from thieves and other scum.

All that said, I will personally be back in a Corrado next year come hell or high water. Its the natural order of things and I just can't stop posting here so its gotta be another Corrado for me.

As much as i love Corrado's i understand the frustration with fixing and repairing them. I can only imagine that carrying out a conversion can push your sanity to the limits. So many times i've thought I should have bought a "sensible" car, but each time ive got back into the C life seems good again. As a daily driver the C for me is slowly beginning to loose its appeal.

It sounds like the you've got plenty of opportunity to tweak and tinker with the MK4. As opposed to continuing the development of the C R32. I do have to hand it to you, its really impressive what you've achieved.

Mk4 sounds like the best way to go, but see how you fell in the spring you might find you have renewed interest in the Corrado.

A MK4 with LMs and an R32 lump, that would definitely be my choice!

IMHO, all the Corrado has going for it now is looks and rarity. All it's speed and handling that made it famous in the 90s has been surpassed by even some pretty average modern cars now....but there's something about them, they suck you in and you can't escape! Although the C is no longer cutting edge, it still feels more interesting to drive than a lot of other cars.

I hated MK4s when they came out but my mate's leather recaro'd 1.8T has changed my opinion of them and they handle just as well as the Corrado imo.

I think you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. What you created was unique, how many other 4x4 R32 Corrados are there? So it would be a shame to call time on it. Why not do the renshaw approach and try and get as much MK4 parts into the C as possible to refine it?

Tough one - as you rightly point out Kev there are many cars faster and better handling than a C, but surely thats not the point. My mate has a Lancia Delta Integrale, and the same thing applies although that doesnt look nearly as nice as a C IMHO. So C ownership is not necessarily about practicality or sensibility - you do need to be a bit crazy to own one, I guess! Uniqueness and individuality plus understated elegance i feel underpins a Corrado over many cars. Hell even the name sounds good :D

Well, I built the corrado and tried to keep it as "corrado "as possible because at the time I had no interest in mk4's, let alone a 5 door one with a flippin walnut dash!

I'm very very surprised so many or you have said the mk4, not really what I expected to be honest, glad to see your corrado blinkers aren't on all the time.

If I could afford to I would keep the corrado, but unfortunately one has to go to clear my credit card on which I bought the mk4 in the first place (it was meant to be a quick fix and sell on job).

I still intend to build up my old mk2 as a bit of a play thing. I can't sell the mk2, it's a worthless shell and a pile of bits which I've took 5 years to amass and cannot bring myself to part with.

sure, the corrado could be taken further, but needs must, and that need is money. If I could keep the mk4, the mk2 track car and the corrado I would. again, I could sell the mk4 and keep the corrado, but then I'll have to keep the missus lupo (which is still for sale) and drive that feeble little thing daily (no thanks) and keep the corrado for best, so it'd never get used. seems pointless to me to have a nice car and leave it in the garage all week whilst you drive some scrapper for several hours a week....

As for handling.....the Mk4 is a good 10mph slower than the corrado ever was around my favourite bends. you can tell it's a heavy car. and the 14.47 1.4 mile time I ran shows that ( I ran better then than in the corrado when it

was a VR6! and again when the r32 lump wasn't running right).

Make no bones about it, my corrado WILL be back on the road next year, with another 3,2 in it (or maybe even the same 3.2 if can't find/afford another one and I decide to put the 2.8 in the mk4) and this time it will look a bit different and will be a damn sign nicer to drive too. I'll see what I think of it when i've lived with it again for a week.

finally......I tried the 8.5"x18" LM's on the corrado............they fit........ <:-o. as do the r32 wheels.....>

I'd say Mk4 too as you can enjoy it more of the time. My C is brilliant for going to shows on smooth motorways but on a day to day basis the ride height and the worry of parking it (and rock hard ride) make it a complete knightmare. Basically, I know where your coming from, i'd rather take the keys to one of the company cars than use the C nowadays, never used to be that way....

Won't sell it though as i enjoy doing the work on it, same for you? Do you see it as a hobby or car?

working on the cars is my hobby. my problem is knowing when to stop!

I always goo too far. either low them too much so you can't drive them, or go for a daft paint job so I daren't parkthem anywhere or try and make them handle and go like stink which again makes them unbearbale to drive on anything but a flat road!!!

Must refrain from modifying the mk4 any more or I'll ruin that one too.. (although big boys toys have some coilvers in going cheap!!....NOOOOO!!!)

Very tough call!

you have the mk2 as a future play thing, so the mk4 could do for the time being.

The thing is you have a mk4 v6 4 motion, its now a stealth r32. its got modern suspension, modern engine, modern brakes, modern driver aids and a haldex diff.

then you have the Corrado, its a 10 year old shell, its got an R32 motor, its got modern enough suspension(through upgrade), modern brakes(again through upgrade), no driver aids, syncro diff(which i think is Sh1t).

We will ignore the interiors, presumable both have nice seats.

You, like me, are more into a go car than a show car.

The mk4 is a heavey beast in any form and may be powerful but is not balistic quick.

the corrado is not feather weight either, but its way more aerodynamic!

With the R32 motor i would say it moves quite well!

the problem with getting drag times with the corrado will always be the diff, so with a haldex diff and a nice controller unit it would be sweet on the strip.

If you go for parts cost, the engine will be the same for both, the corrado is an unholy rip off from the dealer, they must supply vaseline at the parts counter :lol: . the mk4 is cheap and parts are plentyful.

On paper the mk4 is the car to keep, but we are not all econimists, are we?

I would love to have a corrado like your one, instead i am buiold ing a 16vg60 and i know how much that costs so i shudder to think how much cash is tied up in your car.

I feel that if you want to make money, sell the mk4, its the more usable car but is also a lot more salable.

If you keep the corrado you will have lots of fun in it andonce youjr bugs are ironed out it will be again one of the most unique corrado's ever!

Selling the corrado will be very very difficult, you WILL get what you want for it, but it will take time. We all know lots of people are scare off by propperly modded cars and will only buy standard.

I would be saying to build up the corrado, drivwe it for a month or so and have it for sale, see if you get any takers adn if you do let it off with the new happy owner. You know that if you need to you can always sell the mk4!

On paper the mk4 is the one to keep, but i dont like them, i think they feel very uninvolving to drive!

Just my 2 cents

PS welcome back!:lol:

How do you get time to keep swaping these engine's over like you do?

I wish i had more time to work on my own car but i'm allway's doing everyone else's !!

it took me 4 nights and 2 days to take the 3.2 out of the corrado. pull the corrado out of the garage, put the engint o one side. push the corrado back in, pull the mk4 up, take the 2.8 out, fit the 3.2 and bolt it back together! 1st drive was straight to the MOT station, took it to Edition 38 the next day!

I don't go shopping or any of that nonsense so nearly all my spare time is car time.

I only do other peoples cars if I need the money.

I've already got a 2.8 lump, don't need anther one. already have an engine and box for the mk2 too.

I'll never own a diesel. I've hated every single one I've ever driven, indluding TDI golfs and mondeo TDCI's. all crap. I'd rather pay the extra money and use petrol. I don't see cars as A-B machines, I actually enjoy driving them, TDI's just frustrate me with their uselss 1000rpm power band. I'd only have a diesel if I needed a van/pickup, which I don't. If I had to commute a long way I'd go LPG like the missus Golf Country. £12.50 to fill the tank, 250 miles out of that....work it out....about 65mpg I think?

I guess it's all going to boil down to what I CAN sell. If i CAN'T find a buyer for the Corrado I'll HAVE to advertise the mk4 instead. It'll kill me if I make my mind up and then can't go along with my plans because sell the car I want to sell.

ok then. there are flaws in the argument.

1. The mk4 is no street sleeper. Paul post a pic up of the mk4 on the LMs...

2. The corrado as a marque might not be at the cutting edge of technology any more that is true, but this example is right at the cutting edge. Check out his video of croft - there aint much going to be as quick as that...

3. The golf is the more saleable car of the 2. Selling the corrado will be a headache no doubt about it - I can see you getting all radged (again 8) )

4. mk4's are not good to drive. I have driven loads and they are not a patch on a corrado for driver involvement and feedback.

5. The corrado is 10 times better looking.

6. I am sure there's a 6 but i cant remember.

The corrado got on your nerves as it has a few niggles, but lets be fair it has just undergone some major sugery so it can be expected for a few months.

Its my opinion that a few clunks and unexpected mishaps combined with the fact that you are running awful suspension so the car would feel really harsh and crashy, has tainted your image of a top car.

get the roll bar on, sort out some real suspension not that comedy stuff you have on it then see what its like.

stick the r32 wheels on the car as every day wheels and the LMs can be for a special occasion...

But you know all this as we have had this conversation on numerous occasions.... ;)

........If I had to commute a long way I'd go LPG like the missus Golf Country. £12.50 to fill the tank, 250 miles out of that....work it out....about 65mpg I think?.........

Please do tell me more! That sounds like an awesome plan for a daily driver! How much is an LPG kit? About £500?

112989261.jpg

1. there you go

104789753.jpg

2. exactly, the corrado was possibly the most advanced in the UK, certainly as much as I could ever afford to do to it. but it wasn't THAT entertaining to drive. Yes, it was capable, but I'd hardly call it exciting.

3. yes, it wil be hard to sell, but I'd just have to keep droppingmy price until it goes.

4. you haven't driven mine yet.

5. undeniable. but I can't look at my car when I'm sat in it.

6. there is, but I can't rememeber either!

I really have a massive disliking for modified road cars now, I think they all look as sad as f*ck and I want to be completely disassociated with the max power knobbers. Hence the total lcak of body mods on the mk4 other than badge removal and the wheels/suspension. I'm 30 next year. I think the mk4 suits me more?

I ony bought the Lms becasue, well, because they are my all time favourtite wheels! I actually think they are a bit too flash for the mk4! (they do look DAMN good on the Corrado though!

I wish I could just sell the lot and buy an E46 M3, in black, with 19" LM's, but then I'd just look like a drug dealer.

........If I had to commute a long way I'd go LPG like the missus Golf Country. £12.50 to fill the tank, 250 miles out of that....work it out....about 65mpg I think?.........

Please do tell me more! That sounds like an awesome plan for a daily driver! How much is an LPG kit? About £500?

about £800 if you fit it yourself, but you'll still have to get it tested and certificated, another £75.

real tough so many of the forum members have been won over to the 'modern car' side i have before in between mk1's and 2's id go with the mk4 and strip the rado as you'll probably get feck all for it in one piece (if moneys the issue sell the mk4!) oh and sell me the recaro interior!!! serioesly though cras are mainly used to get to and from work and winters looming id rather be in your mk4 than my old g60 tbh!! have a rethink in the spring!

The thing is I am in the lucky position to own a bora and the corrado, so I believe I am well placed to put my opinion across.

Fact: We drive cars like we do as they are very rewarding, look better than 90% of the new rubbish that is getting produced and have a certain attractive character about them.

Fact: the mk4 is no different to any other rep mobile pile of modern shyte.

I wonder how many people would say sell the corrado if paul said he was buying a peugot 307 or something....and to me theres no difference. Yeah the mk4 has the R32 lump in it but its not fast - and paul has admitted that.

selling the corrado for the mk4 is basically saying you arent interested anymore in the hobby thats taken up your life since you were 17.

When the time comes for my bora company car to go back I am debating whether to purchase a standard mk2 or standard mk3 16v golf to run as a cheaper option. but I wont be selling the corrado.

Hell I might even commute to work on my bike! (it would be quicker ;-) )