Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Corrado

INTERCOOLERS, WHAT FITS INTO A G60...

So i need to get moving and get hold of a cooler for Darren to fit me!! the sprinter cooler is 2 much hassel and the vito van has 2 different types, i know 1 fits but not sure which... :roll:

ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANY INTERCOOLER THAT FITS, MENTION IT HERE. LETS GET A BIG LIST GOING!!! YAY!!! :-P

Golf G60 - slight modification needed to I/C (with a grinder/saw) and small mod to car needed too (one or two hits with a hammer! ;) )

Golf Rallye - mod to drivers side towing bracket needed due to extra width.

Audi S4 - lots of pipework needed, fits VERY well behind RS2 or RS4 front bumper.

It's about time that somebody approached the likes of RadTec, Pace, Forge or whoever and got one of these made up as a kit. Jabba have done but their shoddy workmanship when rebuilding G Laders has pretty much gauranteed that nobody on this forum at least will buy anything from them. Wouldn't G Werks want to design something that they could both fit AND sell?

Wouldn't G Werks want to design something that they could both fit AND sell?

They have, Steve (pitstop) posted a kit up on here a couple of weeks ago...

There has been a forge one for years, a lad i know designed it and its running in a few cars at this stage

Johnny Corrado, Might be worth your time to give Stealth a phone call - they were in the proccess of having Golf G60 FMIC's made that would fit straight into the Corrado with no need for any cutting/hammering/modifying etc ! You can buy a brand new VAG golf G60 FMIC but it will cost you £527 + VAT !!

we have two differant kits available off the shelf. One of those kits uses a intercooler very simular to the golf one but brand new and manufactured just for us... :wink: The other is the one steve posted on here allready.

I will post up pics of a complete kit... and steve psd has his version which fits with no cutting too.

I never knew that, after nearly a year of being on the forum! :) They're not on the website are they Darren?

Yes correct.. only about 20-25% of what we can offer is currently on the web-site its being sorted out very soon though i hope .

thanks 4 your input everyone!!

still really confused tho... i would like to get a vito van cooler but not sure which will fit. the one from the2.1 and 2.2 or the one from the 2.3? :puppydogeyes: :Fade-color

I wanted to fit a Volvo 945 intercooler but in February I want to fit the A/C radiator back in. It's not enough room for 3 radiators :lol:

Is there some intercooler that can be fitted in the front bumper, in the lower part?

here is a pic of mine

26.jpg

using rallye outlet samco hoses JMR alu piping and standard inlet boost pipe oh and a £225 forge intercooler thats all it took

heres how the engine bay looks

24.jpg

25.jpg

nice and standard look and yep the wiring been tied up now :D

Looks really OE! £225's very cheap for an IC, is it an off the shelf job or a car specific one?

yes it’s off the shelf forge motorsport universal jobbies

IMO a lot better than any rallye intercooler etc as one doesn’t get heat soak etc form the water rad from sitting in traffic etc, means the water rad gets more flow/fresh unchanged air and lets face it the corrado hasnt got the biggest front grille so needs all the air it can get through there

Also have the full face of the intercooler open to flowing air and that low will work more efficient.

I would only put an Audi S2 intercooler like what JMR has done or a forger jobbies like I have done

you only have to look at big powered turbo cars they all have the intercooler as far forward and open to airflow as possible not hidden behind bumper metal beams etc and only a opening the size of a letter box

but that’s just my opinion.

dont get my wrong a rallye one will make a differenceand with a bit of work will give the OME fit (come on they did come in a golf) but not as much a a proper newer alu ones thats available now-a-day (i touched mine yesterday and it was freezing off course weather helps) and considering mine only cost £225 do you really want to spend £300+ what those things go for?

Yes i agree aposegil to an extent, if you look at the function of an intercooler you will find out that air has to pass in through the gaps of the fins and remove as much heat as possible.

So the more air you are passing through them the more heat you are removing which is what you want. If you have a big intercooler but not with alot of front area uncovered for the air to pass through or with it obstructed in the back it wont perform well as you are disturbing overall flow.

Corrado is kinda tigh in the front with the original bumper to fit any decent sized intercooler without any trimming so i think thats why alot of people resort to using the golf/rallye intercooler.

I have experimented with a few intercooler G60,rallye, porsche 944 and obviously have found good gains from the stock.

I fancied the 944, i done a quick test at the time from the G60 golf to the 944 and if I remember correctly there was a noiticable difference in temp drop when using the 944 ic to the G60. The 944 was placed in the lower part of the bumper (RS). Although it was some time ago and I have no precise data to give on what the temp drop difference was I know it was enough to justify making the 944 intercooler fit :) .

Some pics of how it used to fit.

I also know guys using these in the original 944 and they run them up to around 380hp, its shows that that intercooler has alot of meat.

I will try and get some pic of the current setup, its an all out race type, it sure looks different :lol: .

Large surface area is the key rather than overall volume. You do have more room to play with differnt options with the RS bumper, but most owner owners we deal with want to keep the car looking original and keep the OE bumper. Our front mounts don't require any body mods at all barring 2 small holes bing driled to secure the cooler. Although it is nice to get as much of the core exposed to the air flow as possible it is not really a major issue as a lot of air does get rammed up though the lower grill. There is that much air turbulance going on at the front of the car exposing 100% of the core directly in the airflow is neither here or there.

This is how we mount our kit

http://www.pitstopdevelopments.com/gallery/index.php?cat=gallery&anime=IntercoolersG60&images=7&id=0

sorry but i disagree with u

you can clearly see from your pictures that only 5 rows out off the 11rows you build there only have direct flow

so means any boost traveling in the bottom half especially the more you go down unless you buld rams into the lower half of the bumper to direct up is not getting free flowing air. Maybe moving the numberplate away and drilling holes into the bumper and metal bracket behind is another opition for anyone wanting get the best out of a standard bumper

like mention previously the easier the air can move over a object smoothly the quicker it can dispose of heat thats being soaked by the intercooler.

but otherwise thats a nice piece of kit

It looks as though you'll get a better airflow with an RS style bumper although if you wanted to get a bit more airflow using the standard bumper you can do away with your fog lamps and put in two vents. I can't remember who does them though but you can colour code them and attach flexi hosing to the back of them to focus the airflow.