Sign in to follow this  
digga

CV joint replacement

After discussing with a few mates I've come to the conclusion that the cv joint is on the way on the near side of my C (16V 1.8).

Has anyone any tips on doing this job? Will I need special tools eg. circlip pliers etc?

Also, if I'm replacing the wheel bearing can it be drifted in easily like the rear ones?

cheers

digga

Yeah CVs are pretty straight forward on the C/Golf as Dazzy pointed out. Front wheel bearings are not so straight forward, they really need to be pressed in with a proper 2 or 3 tonne press. Hammering it in will destroy it.

If you're doing the outer CV, you'll need a long bar to release the hub nut (30mm I think) and a 150lb+ torque wrench to retighten it. Always use a new hub nut (comes with the CV) and lube the splines with copper grease to aid reassembly/future dismantling.

Kev

Make sure you use the correct splined bits to undo the bolts holding the inner CV to the gearbox as opposed to allen headed ones. Allen bit will do the jod but ruin the bolts in the process making life rather difficult should you need to undo them again in the future.