Sign in to follow this  
rixy

AAAAAHHHHHH LOCKING WHEEL NUTS

Just noticed i got locking wheel nuts on me new raddo, and i didnt get a key to get em off? How am i gonna get em off to change the wheels etc? Can any tire place do it for a fee maybe?

What type of locking nuts are they? You can often get a master key or alternatively depending on the type of nut you might be able to hammer a slightly smaller impact socket on to them!

i used a small screwdriver, tapped it into the locking bolt and just kept on tapping it round until it came out. :wink:

i also have this problem so would be interested in the answer, just been hoping that i dont get a flat else im fekced :E

Are they the OE fit trilocks? Try the dealer, they might have, or can get a key.

Hammering a socket over trilocks is tricky as they have a hardened steel outer ring, but you can try it.

I had the same problem with mine, but one of them rounded off and it had to be drilled out.....which destroyed one drill and 3 bits in the process.

Good luck!

You can buy tools at most good motor factors or Halfords or DIY stores that have a head full of many spring-loaded metal pins that automatically form around the shape of the head of the bolt you need to remove and then you just use a wheelbrace on the tool to remove the bolt.

Hope this helps and good luck

Are they the OE fit trilocks? Try the dealer, they might have, or can get a key.

Hammering a socket over trilocks is tricky as they have a hardened steel outer ring, but you can try it.

Good luck!

I got 4 of these out in ten minutes. PM me if you want to know how. That 'hardened steel' ring ain't that hard IMO. :wink:

Gavin

take a trip down the local scrappy chuck one of the chaps there a fiver and give him ten minutes - works every time. Just remember to take a new sets of locking nuts with you.

i know the new mc gard ones are tricky though.

my mate lost his years ago and we had to take a digital pic (( luckily my dad had a digi-cam when they were first out ! )) of the bolt and send it to a place in germany, they then sent him a new one....i cant remember how much it cost him..but it wasnt too expensive.

What is the point of locking wheel nuts when they are so easy to get off without the key? :?

because it takes time to take them off and in most cases you need to make a lot of noise i.e big hammer

been to see me mate at a vw garage, and they ar only the standard tri locks anyway, so no prblems there, worrying about nothing again, ha ha, cheers anyway!