Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

Headunit recommendations?

I'd go for the Pioneer DEH-P77.. classy looking with out any flashing displays or anything tacky and the sound quality is meant to be first class! I think they can be had for around £210 - £230 so a bit over your budget but worth it IMO 8)

i would recommend alpine regardless of it doesnt fit your budget,,, save up their worth it

Yep, gotta be Alpine. I've always had Kenwoods. Thought they were excellent. When I last upgraded I got an Alpline. The build and sound are really good.

I've heard that Alpine aren't so good at the budget end but their top end stuff is spot on... so with budget still in mind I'd be looking at that Pioneer :D

I did for a high end unit with matching amps. The one thing with Alpine is that some of the lower end units are very basic. Good but basic. I've always loved Kenwoods though. Have you thought about Clarion, they make good quality head units?

I have the P77. Quality head unit, cost me £250 about a year ago, so should be okay for price now.

I've had 2 Alpine units and didnt particularly rate either TBH. The CD part rejected discs on both after about 2 years, and one of the units was £500 at retail!

I got an Alpine 9855 a few months ago and I love it I got a good deal on it but it was still £300, my previous Alpine was also one of the top of the range and it lasted me nearly 10 years, If i were you id save up for a good Alpine and at least be happy and save money in the long run.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/k13.SwingFace-Series_Custom-sound--complete-control%21-Maximum-performance--control-and-versatility.htm

I got an Alpine 9855 a few months ago and I love it, my previous Alpine was also one of the top of the range and it lasted me nearly 10 years, If i were you id save up for a good Alpine and at least be happy and save money in the long run.

Was just looking at that, and thought it looked pretty classy 8)

Might just go with that or the 9853.

Keep 'em coming guys :)

my advise as quite a few have said by an alpine or save up for an alpine

if you cant afford one

i have installed kenwoods clarions pioneers sonys etc and i will be honest by saying they sound ok pretty good infact but not a touch on alpine

even there sub £250 units are really good

but the choice is yours

Strangely having had pioneer kenwood sony and alpine, the two alpine units i have had have been by far the worst in terms of build quality. Great sound, great finish when new but both had buttons fall off and disc problems. One was last year and £400!! Sorry to go against the grain guys. Mates have had the same problems.

IMO

Sony = Fine but rather harsh artificial sound

Kenwood = Good allrounders, no real faults

Alpine = great but dont stay that way

Pioneer = Very warm bassy sound, prob my recommendation (P77)

I've just gone for the JVC AVX-1, arriving tommorrow. Bit bling for me tbh but just fancied seeing what it was like having the dvd option.

You can get a sony NC9950 from newimagecarhifi for £259 whcih tempted me as its seems stupidly cheap but is mainly pose factor. I'd check them out for prices though, or any of the other adds in the back of (sorry) maxpower!

£400 units in halfords are £200 if you go mail order, adn they are not dodgey imports or re done units. (P77 is £214, but you'd get em down further on the phone!)

BIt late, but I'd go with Alpine too. I had a 2nd hand Kenwood which I liked, but it was old and worn out. I then got an Alpine which sounded beautiful, but sold it for a more modern and flash Sony. I kept the Sony for about 1 month, then sold it and bought another Alpine. That was 8 years ago, I still have that Alpine and 6 disc changer in my Corrado today, all working well and sounding very good.

Alpine or nothing, had my MP3 head unit for 2 years haven't had one fault with it. Superb sound and features.

I'd only ever swap it for a newer/higher spec Alpine or a Nakamichi.

..after a few months struggling with my Kenwood, I've finally got one of these on order! :cheers: :D

Cant wait! Anyone else got one of these? (Alpine 9855R)

b_cda9855r.jpg

Haven't got one of those but played with a couple. Apart from the horrid 'slide menu', they're OK. Pretty much the same internals as the 9835R, which is/was a seriously good unit, so sound wise you're onto a winner mate ;-)

Yeah I've read that some people have had problems with the touch slide bar failing, but generally the reviews rate the unit well :)

Was thinking of getting the model similar to this, but with the buttons instead of the bar, but this one looks cooler :wink: :lol:

If you're gonna use it with an iPod, I know a few people who've had serious problems with that slidey thing and the interface.

I had Clarion DXZ838RMP for years and it was great, but the ribbon is shagged so its now collecting dust in my garage. I'm now using a Kenwood Mask unit that was in my Cordoba when I bought it. The ribbon's starting to go but they're only £8 on the 'Bay. I'm gonna keep that in my C as it looks classy with the mask on or off. When that packs up, I'll be looking at a highish end Alpine.

Don't what ever you do use Alpine's AI-Net ipod interface as it's utter w@nk, pardon my french. If you want to grab a track from the middle of your library, say, it can take as long as a minute to start playing it back. Really, really slow.....but sound wise, it is good I must admit. I ditched it in the end as it just didn't do what it said it would on the tin.

I'm waiting for a software update on my 9835R as it's just too darn slow booting up. Stick a disc in and you're half way home by the time it's sorted itself out :-)

There's a huge post on seatcupra.net about one guys problems with his. He took it up with Alpine UK and they just took the p*** out of him. He has a 60gb iPod so you can imagine how long it took to get to songs with that! I'll find the link!

I just use the aux in for my iPod. On my Kenwood its a CD changer fooling cable and it sounds perfect. I had an iTrip before, which is probably as bad any manufacturers iPod interface...totally w***!