Sign in to follow this  
rmn

thoughts on intercooler type?

What do you all think of this type of intercooler?

Are they very restrictive due to the inlet and outlet design?

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

intercooler.JPG

no i dont mean the size i mean the inlet and outsel on the one side,

that way you could use an rs outlet from the charger and then a straight pipe to the inlet manifold.

Thats the idea anyway.. :lol:

@Kev, thats the kind of answer i was hoping for :lol:

Has anyone experience of these design, I presume there is not a bottle neck in it as the airflow comes back on itself

that looks like the sprinter intercooler and as a result in a real pain to fit, i think Gman had one in his old Corrado, but the intakes and outlet pipes are in a very ackward place for a corrado

My intercooler has the inlet and outlet on one side Richard. Bought it off Gary with the custom pipes and its works great. Car goes really really well with it. Making 1950 on the MFA boost gauge which is about 12-13 PSI I think.

I always thought the U bend outlet would be slightly restrictive cause the route the airflow has to take.

Its not the sprinter one, its a W211 E class intercooler, part no is 211 specific too, so its not a common part with previous models.

I'll keep looking though.

rmn the intercooler in your pic is known as a twin pass intercooler!

I have a merc sprinter intercooler in my golf and it is as wide as the chassis legs at about a metre long.

Thanks Mark, do you have any pics of it?

I was thinking that it would be not a bad design but was curious about if they were restrictive

I know the car that Marks intercooler was in made 225bhp as a G60 so it cant be bad.

@Dinkus a mail is being sent to them, thanks :lol:

@Gibber, thanks for that, great link too!

@Gearoid, see if you can get a pic of that one

No pics Im afraid Richard. I know Dave told Gary he was mad for selling it as in his opinion it was capable enough for his new project. My intercooler was originally used in a corrado by VST himself. So all round Im confident its a good one.

Yeah i know the one, thats a fairly big one alright!

Hmm, well i think i will be going that way soon enough

My Rallye intercooler wont allow my to fit the alternator under the Supercharger as the pipes go straight into where the alternator has to go!

Dimensions on the W211 intercooler are as follows:

Width 58.5cm, Depth 5cm, Height 11.4cm.

They exclude the end caps which are hidden behind the bumper.

Here is a pic i pinched off vortex :lol:

corrado%20with%20rallye%20fmic1.jpg

this gives you the rallye or golf g60, not sure which, intercooler in a corrado, the problem i have is as the inlet is on the lft in the pic it wont fit with my setup, hence the intake and output on the right as you look at the pic is my sloution...

just wonder do people rekon it will work well or not :wink:

that's a Golf G60 one (same as in my car)... The Rallye one is the same core size, but the inlet (on the left as you rightly say) is longer and more squared off which makes clearance a bit too tight... although that one appears to have had the towing eye and bracket removed to make a bit more clearance... 8)

the w211 IC is basically the same size as my current G60 cooler. it fits with only a little trimming. piping-wise similar to what made. i used a factory u bend, couple of samcos and the G60 piping chopped up along with a 96 impreza airbox elbow for under the charger.

my next cooler is similar length but taller and 3 inches thick. not sure if it will fit yet

the w211 IC is basically the same size as my current G60 cooler. it fits with only a little trimming. piping-wise similar to what made. i used a factory u bend, couple of samcos and the G60 piping chopped up along with a 96 impreza airbox elbow for under the charger.

my next cooler is similar length but taller and 3 inches thick. not sure if it will fit yet

So it will fit in easily enough then?

Nice one.

no i dont mean the size i mean the inlet and outsel on the one side,

that way you could use an rs outlet from the charger and then a straight pipe to the inlet manifold.

Thats the idea anyway.. :lol:

That was actually what I mean't - Sorry should have been clearer!!!

yeh . i chopped a tad of my bumper support away to get as much room as possible. mine which was i think 600mm*160mm*50mm fitted so the endtank outlets went around the outside of the rad with around 2-3 inches each side.

remember if fitting a bigger cooler like the golf one that the radiator in the golf G60 is much bigger than the Corrado one. id say to compensate for the lack of airflow due to ic size over the crap corrado one.

rmn, Is the intercooler you're after going into a 16VG60 ?? Arn't you building one ?? Just a thought but i'm sure the Golf limited had a Rallye FMIC didn't it ?? If so wouldn't it go in your Corrado ??

rmn, Is the intercooler you're after going into a 16VG60 ?? Arn't you building one ?? Just a thought but i'm sure the Golf limited had a Rallye FMIC didn't it ?? If so wouldn't it go in your Corrado ??

Limited's were all LHD so had space for the alternator above the engine towards the back, Richards car will not have space due to being RHD the servo would be in the way, hence he is using an alternator on front under the charger which would foul the Rallye intercooler as far as I know.