Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

'family' car recomendations

ok...did you buy this from Philios Fog then?....whats the mileage?/condition. :mrgreen:

which?

Audi 118k - totally silky smooth mechanics, wheels unblemished, half leather courtesy of ebay just fitted, roof looks virtually new.

golf 106k, been cat'd - wings, bonnet, bumper replaced, nothing serious but who cares at that price - engine helthy and 6 months MOT still on :wink:

Have a Passat 110 TDI myself. 166k on the clock and it goes like a rocket. Have a tuning box fitted and for mid range kick its an amazing car. Tons of cabin space and boot space - more then needed by most people. More then comfortable for 3 adults in the back and it cruises over pot holes and speed bumps like they are not there. So much so the corrado is getting less and less use. Both cars are at complete opposites of the scale really.

Passat - cruise in reassuring safety and comfort.

Corrado - flat out balls to the wall ear deafening bone shaking screamer

those audis are nice, but like dinkus said I dont think it counts as a family car any more than a corrado does, and i dont relish the thought of having to wrestle a baby into the back of a C! this is sort of where the conversation started since we both own cars that'd be entirly impractical if we had familys.

i've got to admit i never fond the corrado too impractical - baby seats fit snug in the bucketed back seats and even large prams fit in the boot - i found it fine fine fine!!!!!

Bugger it - tell your mate to buy a corrado, never mind all these ramblings about esates and tdi's etc - he'll need something exciting to escape from the humdrum side of family life and kiddies - and my little girl just lurve's the fact that her dad turns up with the coolest car at scholl - all her mates say so.......

i've got to admit i never fond the corrado too impractical - baby seats fit snug in the bucketed back seats and even large prams fit in the boot - i found it fine fine fine!!!!!

Bugger it - tell your mate to buy a corrado, never mind all these ramblings about esates and tdi's etc - he'll need something exciting to escape from the humdrum side of family life and kiddies - and my little girl just lurve's the fact that her dad turns up with the coolest car at scholl - all her mates say so.......

Here here, I agree with that, and thats what I did myself :lol:

I'm very impressed with my recent Passat purchase.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31029

Very smooth, quiet and comfortable with lots of space and a huge boot. It's a 1.8T but in saying that, I'm getting over 30 mpg doing 13 miles across Nottingham City every morning. Ok, you have to be careful with the right foot but I find you don't need to floor it to get a move on.

So far I've never looked back and you can be sure your're getting a quality car in a VW.

I've just been in the same situation - changing the wifes 97 Polo as the boots just too small for the nippers push-chair and associated luggage. Looked at both A4's and Passats - the TDi models are dearer than the petrol equivalents, and depending on if you want the Audi badge you'll get a 1-2yr older car to a similarly priced Passat.

The Passats seem to vary loads dependant on spec ie. S model, SE, or Sports, and also be aware that the face lift model B5.5 (chrome grille etc) came out on 2001 X reg so don't pay 'newer model' money for 'older model'......imo, of course.

Loads of one-owner high mileage company cars available, fully serviced etc and decent spec.

Also, the A4's are not as roomy in the rear as the Passat if you need the legroom etc.

We ended up going for 2001 X reg B5.5 Passat 20v Turbo Sport, 100k, one owner, FVAGSH, climate, all electrics, sports trim etc for £3.5k - lot of car for the money imo, collect it this Saturday.

HTH

We brought a Audi A4 TDi earlier in the year as the Cooper 's' was costing us a small fortune in fuel to use daily. We paid just over 2k for a P plate saloon with 110k on the clock. It has now done £130 and has not skipped a beat. 62 litre fuel tank returns about 600-660 miles and up to 700 on motoway only runs.

The A4 avants TDi's hold their value a lot more than the saloons.

what you need is an ford orion 1.4LX and make sure its battered and u pay FA for it coz u wont get anything back for it :lol: