Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

under bonnet sponge?

i was cleaning the underside of the bonnet,i caught the sponge a bit and it just crumbled,anyone removed it all together,how difficult is the glue to remove?

Not hard to do, my foam came off in whole pieces - i think the glue must dry out over the years. I bought new foam from VW so didn't try to clear the old glue entirely.

Yeah just get rid of it. Why did you replace it with new foam Paul?

Some brake cleaner spray or something will soon get all the residue off....

Some brake cleaner spray or something will soon get all the residue off....

Already tried loads of solvents, chemicals, wonder-potions and what not, but other than with hard tedious graft, you're not going to get that glue off, oh, and without destroying the paint, of course.

I've got 2 bonnets to do, one on my G60 Rado, the other on my Mk2 Storm Rocco :roll:

Tempest

May be it has to be a release agent like superglue has one rather than a solvent.

Bodyshop person may be able to advise.

It has to be "good" glue due to the heat under the bonnet.

i have all this crap on my bonnet underside and since the bonnets getting redone at a local bodyshop - they said they have stuff that quickly removes this stuff - but then its getting repainted afterwards....

word of warning - when i priced up replacement foam - VW told me the current price is just shy of 70 quid. do you really want to pay that for some FOAM!!!!

just stripped the foam off the bonnet i got from 24vrenshaw and its a complete tw@ of a job, the guy at the bodyshop tried some adhesive remover and all it did was make the glue even slimier and messy.

i ended up using celulose thinners which has also taken all the paint off under the foam but as the whole bonnet is being re-sprayed thats not a problem.

even the thinners didnt actually disolve it it just softened it enough to scrape off with a scraper.

and luckilly i dont have to pay for the foam as thats up to rac windscreens. :lol:

some people have used other stuff instead of replacing it with the foam from VAG. cant remember the name of it but its silver and shiny!

Moving to Exterior as it's a bodywork query.

No first hand experience, but I would imagine that brake cleaner should not be used on bodywork??!

You could always replace it with some nice shiny sound deadening material. Not sure if that's a look you want though?

(Use the search, it's been discussed)

flusted, it's called a caramel wheel. Close though!

VR6, brake cleaner is safe to use on bodywork, it even works on clothes. It's amazing stuff.

I replaced the original foam as my brother used some RAF super strength treacly substance used on aeroplanes but it all started falling off and looked a real mess - £70 from the dealers is a lot for what it is but I like to keep it how it should be!

ive tried everything to get the glue off,from thinners,petrol and glue remover,and it still wont budge,i even tried heat and still nothing

The official VW stuff is...

D 009 400 01 (VW part number)

"Cleaning Solution - For cleaning all surfaces which come into contact with primer or adhesive."

It's used a lot for cleaning all sorts of jobs on the body work and by the way the manual states to clean painted body work when doing such jobs as the rear quarter side windows, it would appear to be paint safe (But I would test before going mad under the bonnet with it!). Looks like it softens and removes the goo.

The instruction for the foam pads is.......

"Before sticking on the insulation material, the underside of the bonnet must be cleaned - cleaning agent D 009 400 01."

I'm sure the parts department would be able to get hold of it but it may only come in "commercial" sized quantities. ie. more than one car's worth. Therefore it could cost a bit.

I still wouldnt replace the foam, I'd either stick reflective material in the gaps or leave it without it completely....

Wasn't suggesting the foam went back on as such, I thought everyone was struggling with the goo and how best to get it off without wrecking the paint surface????? . :wink:

Each to their own after its cleaned ............

I'd bet that Nitromores would shift it....

...although you'd definately need to repaint the bonnet afterwards... :oops: :lol:

some people have used other stuff instead of replacing it with the foam from VAG. cant remember the name of it but its silver and shiny!

Yeah I removed all the old foam and replaced it with dynamat and then dynamat hoodliner on top of that, which is foil coated foam. Attached pics show what you're left with when the foam is off and the other pic is the dynamat. Haven't got a pic of the hoodliner but it looks similar. Makes heck of a difference!

The old glue was easy to remove. I used industrial glue remover. First I softened it with a heat gun, sprayed the glue remover on, waited 5 mins, scraped it all off with a plastic trowel, then just cleaned up the remains with more glue remover. Took about 20 mins. Trust me, brake cleaner and WD40 won't even touch this stuff and no, glue remover does not damage the paint.