Sign in to follow this  
Jonny_L

Trouble already

Hi all. was just on my way back from a scrappy to find a new steering wheel for the vr6 as the old one's knackered. (Unsuccessfully, buy the way, if anyone has one spare!)

When my temp light starts flashing, and steams coming out of the bonnet.

obviously i'm starting to get worried, shouting obligatory swear words and pleading with the car to get me home. anyway made it back and let it cool down while still bricking it, since the car's only been mine since thursday. Anyway, had a look, and theres coolant everywhere, adding to my worries, then i spotted one of the radiator tubes has a split in it. Phew!

so all i need to do is get a new one and i'll be alright. (hopefully).

Good thing i havent sold my old seat cordoba yet, looks like it'll still come in handy for a couple of days!

So anyways, where do you lot get bits like that from? couldn't find much in german+swedish.

Cheers, Jonny

I had the same troubs on my VR soon after I bought it. 2 hoses in 2 weeks, ended up getting Samco hoses throughout so as to prevent it happening again. Vag do do hoses still tho.

i would say the stealers is the best place, are you gonna flush the system through too... if ya do use g12+ when ya replace it

Just looked at samco hoses, the kit's quite expensive, but i suppose it might be worth it, plus it'd look cool.

Flushing it would probably be a good idea i suppose. is it easy to do?

I've got it booked into my local garage for it, but the more i think about it, the more it'd probably be easy enough to do myself.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the stealers?

Cheers

sorry stealers = vag dealers, to be honest mate i would do it yourself it really is'nt tricky.

if it was me i would go to gsf too and get the lower temp thermo switch, it cost's about 7 quid and worth every penny.

Split hose could be a symptom of something else causing pressure to build in the cooling system such as a stuck thermostat or even head gasket trouble rather than the cause of the problem by itself so you might not be out of the woods yet.

Still the first step is to replace the hose and see what happens.

Haha! superb! not heard that before.

I suppose i should do, gives me a chance to get to know the car better too. on that note, is there such thing as a haynes manual for a corrado?

always worth having just in case, even if the bug ones are about as much help as a fish on a bicycle.

or could be symtomatic of a worn engine mount causing engine to rock more than normal and putting excess pressure on the hoses.

welcome to the world of constant paranoia that is VR ownership.

there was no Haynes manual unfortunatly. although there is a cdrom called Bentley which i think comes from the states but that aint cheap either. use the search for one chap.

eek, sounds like i could have a problem then. If so, it's bound to be expensive, i've found the hose i need is £100 or £225 for a samco kit. If it goes again that's already £200, plus whatever the problem is. :(

I think i might go for a whole samco kit, that way i'll know for sure if another one breaks like yours did.

Lets just hope that the hose died of natural causes.

Cheers, Jonny

just to flipside the doom and gloom. Mine was just a hose and have had no troubs since fitting them. (firmly holding onto the desk)

if it was me i would go to gsf too and get the lower temp thermo switch, it cost's about 7 quid and worth every penny.

Might as well then. when you say that, do you mean the radiator thermo switch, or the water hose thermo switch?

Also, is it worth maybe replacing the thermostat as well, just in case? Its a lot cheaper than another new hose.

(Unless its a huge job, i wouldn't know, i'm not really used to this newfangled watercooled business!)

Jonny

I know, just couldn't stop when i realised it (down little country roads) so i carried on for about 5 mins to get home, making sure to keep the revs low and the speed up.

water temp was around 100 degrees C, give or take 5.

I don't have an oil temp gauge, so couldn't say.

Hope that won't of damaged anything, it still felt normal to drive.

Jonny

yeh you should have an oil temp guage on the MFA chap. push the button on your mfa 5 times to get a temp reading.

fingers crossed for ya.

yup - this happened to me... had steam and water pouring out in a car park, replaced the hose with one from GSF an she was fine, although still running really warm, so got the coollant sytem all flushed soon after and found out it was badly blocked.... all sorted now and shes not had a prob with it since....

i you can afford to do all the hoses then do it... it's just something you'll need to do eventually anyway..... :roll: