Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Could it be my wheel bearings?

I know the topic of wheel bearings has come up many times before, however I just wanted to describe my symptoms and see what you guys think.

Had my car serviced last week and every since getting her back I've experienced these symptoms.

When driving between about 70 - 75 mph I get this sort of vibration through the car - sort of feels like I'm driving on an unsmooth surface. Once I get up to 80 mph it seems to pass. Think it might also be a bit noticable at other speeds but it's really obvious when it gets to 70. When I had my rear discs replaced back in May they also did the rear wheel bearings. Is it possible that it could now be my front wheel bearings that need doing? Seems a bit odd that I didn't notice this before my service.

kerrinmay, I had a similar problem, had the front wheels balanced - no change. Turned out to be the rear wheels needed balancing.

Is it possible that the front wheels might have got out of balance when they were taken off for the service?

Not really that good with trying to recognise different noises - not sure how I'd identify if they are droning - would it be a really obvious noise and at all speeds?. In my last car one of my wheel bearings went and I never noticed - was only when a colleague from work got in the car that she noticed it instantly.

I'll try and have a look later. So if a wheel or wheels was out of balance could this cause it to only really be noticable at particular speeds?

Yes it could. Sometimes the vibration comes and goes depending on the speed. Is the vibration coming primarily through the steering wheel or does the whole car seem to be vibrating? If the latter then daves16v could be right when he says that it might be the rear wheels need balancing.

Would be a good idea to get all four checked and balanced anyway if it hasn't been done lately.

I'd say it's more the car/floor rather than through the steering wheel. Think I might pop to local tyre garage and get them balanced on the way home tonight.

Mine has been doing the same thing getting a lot of feedback/vibrarions through the steerring wheel over 70.

My mate had a look and said that I need a top mount and back wheels need wheel barings. Ive already got the tracking done and the wheels balanced and still now joy.

Does neone else have any ideals

wheel bearings will groan very much more when going around a curve than when in a straight line.

It could well be a tyre structure problem or one that is close to being worn out.

Best wishes

RB

Flat spot on a wheel? I had this problem with a dented rim once. Tyre was balanced no problems, it just wasn't ROUND!

Cheers guys, do you think that mounts might be a cause too?

if its the rims then, I will have to by some new ones!!!

Vibration only at a set speed is usually wheel balance.

As has been said wheel bearings drone - you will also get a note change by loading the bearing in a different way when going around corners, it is usually worse going one way rather than another.

If your tracking has been out for a while then you will have an unusual wear pattern on your tyres and this will also cause vibration at certain speeds when you get the tracking corrected.

OK VR6, if your car has done some mileage, it also looks like its on 17" rims, then you may well need a new set of top mounts on both sides. This is because the bigger rims and shorter sidewall will increase the load on all the suspension components causing faster wear.

As for the rear wheel bearings how did your mate diagnose the problem?

Still haven't had my wheels re-balanced yet, but found that all the tyre pressures were less than what they should be - bit strange considering it's only just been serviced - thought that would be something they check- also strange they they were all fairly even, with both front pressures pretty well matching, and the same with the backs! It feels a bit better now the tyres are correctly inflated, but there is still vibration around the 70mph mark. So next stop will be to get them re-balanced.

I've had this problem twice, with two different reasons on two different cars.

First was I didn't have spiggot (sp?) rings, second was rear alloy was dented on the inside.

one of my rims was a bit egged, but i got it redone, althought the man did mention that it will only be 80% new. Im now wondering if i need a new alloy.

Yandards - my mate grabed the back wheel (when jacked up) and shuck them, a slight clicking sound came from them, wheels when up and down slightly. Im so baffled, just wan tit sorted!!!

Yandards - my mate grabed the back wheel (when jacked up) and shuck them, a slight clicking sound came from them, wheels when up and down slightly. Im so baffled, just wan tit sorted!!!

That doesn't necessarily mean the rear wheel bearings need changing. They probably just need to be tightened up a bit. How easily can you move the washer behind the nut?

Yeah rear wheel bearing nut loading is an odd science.

With the wheel off you should just about be able to move the washer/spacer behind the hub nut by using a flat screwdriver between the washer and rim of the recess for the nut and pushing on the screwdriver shaft at right angles with 1 finger.

If it moves really easily it will need doing up until you can only just move it.