Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Koni H&r

Hi

Going to be replacing my standard setup for koni TAs and h&rs next week end but want to know what else to renew ? Ive got new OE top mounts and bearings but didnt know if its a good idea to change anything on the rear like the rubber spacers etc ? Anyone out there that can give me some advice on this matter ? My cars a 94 vr with about 119,000 on the clock. I tend to like doing a job properly! Do i need to cut down OE bump stops or can i just leave them? Anyone out there that has got this setup and installed or watched it being installed ,give me some advice please ? :)

Dick, mines a 94 VR with 120k and i've recently done exactly this! Fitted konis and H&Rs.

Im a muppet so Chris (2cc) and Yan let me know everything that need doing.

I will get a definitive (while your in there) list and post it up for you mate. Definately buy new bump stops (which will need cutting down slightly) on the back. And the best advice is that you will need different top spring caps on the front or your new springs will just go through the old ones as they are too wide!! We put all mine together before realising this one!! I think they are mk3 golf ones but will confirm.

I also replaced the wishbones, which i couklnt afford, but i didnt want to pay for camber setup again a year later.

Ill get that list for you though mate, possibly with the part no's if it helps?

Sounds good mate cheers for your help ! Gonna be fitting them on a Sunday so i dont want to have anything missing as im doing it round my parents in Staines and need to drive it back to Hove that day!

That would be great mate cheers ! :D

No probs mate, im working on it! Wouldnt be suprised if the dealer dont have the fiddley bits in stock for tommorrow though!!

If mine didnt have all the rear brakes off it i would have given you a hand, or watched and passed you things!

Its alright its next weekend so ive got a bit of time to prepare ! Still havent got the rear shocks and h&rs, ordered them today!

Here from you soon (NickVR6) !

Actually mate, 2cc posted up our weekend of fun with mine in the Knowledge base section on here. I beleive all the part nos are there, but ill check first thing tommorrow for you mate. Up to my eyes in brake fluid at the mo.

If its next weekend i may be able to help you!

Cut the bumptops down by the ammount that you are lowering the car, ie 30mm drop, lop 30mm off the bumpstops. Also well worth checking you've got the right type of top plates to fit your new springs, they may not be the same diameter as your old top plates(front only I think). On the rear my new Koni damper shaft was wider than the old damper shaft, meaning I had temporary issues getting the new shaft through the top mounts.

Getting worried about this a bit ! Front spring caps and what andy was saying about the rears is it all worth it guys ! How do your cars feel with the new setup and any clearance probs ? Gonna take the chin spoiler off for now i think and get the narrower G60/16V one ,what do you reckon?

Went to Worthing GSF as the matey said he had the bump stops in stock. when i got there all he had was the f top mounts and bearings,which i already have! :mad: What a waste of time and petrol !

Went on the knowledge base and theres nothing there as its under construction or something!

PARTS IVE GOT OR ORDERED SO FAR >

2X FRONT KONI TAS

2X REAR KONI TAS

2X VW TOP MOUNT AND BEARINGS

SET OF GREEN H&R SPRINGS

PARTS I THINK I NEED>

NEW TOP PLATES FRONT ?

NEW RUBBER BEARING/ RINGS ETC FOR REAR ?

FULL SET OF AFTERMARKET RUBBER BUMP STOPS CUT DOWN 30-35MM

WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO ADD ANYTHING FEEL FREE !

I'm getting stealth to do this for me, i'm all up for doing stuff myself but I don't like messing around with springs n stuff. Looking like its going to cost a fair bit so it's lucky they have their seasonal discounts atm!

If nothing else, it's worth it to get the car setup on Stealth's rig - your C will drive wonderfully after a session on there with Vince ;)

I've got a deep spoiler on mine with the above setup and I have lowering top caps and don't have any clearance issues. Don't expect the car to ride as well but do expect it to handle much better in general, it just feels much more planted and on a good surface the improvement is very evident. The car feels much more stable at high speed.

Yeah, thats the problem with doing suspension yourself - it will feel awful until its been set up properly... (I take it you have some spring compressors also!)

You've got new VAG topmounts, good... you may want to change the rear top mounts also otherwise the shocks will outlast them, if it's a 95 chassis car you will also need the front upper springs plate from an early car.

Rear Bumpstops - Either get mk4 ones from VAG (still foam) or Febi ones from GSF (rubber) which you just hacksaw down, I think these will last longer and not disintegrate like the foam...

Anything else - You get a load of new bolts with the Koni kit and if you are changing TM's all round you could buy everything else you need (nuts, plates, bolts, washers) to do a straight swap without having a strip down the old units, this will add about £25-£30 to the job...

Yeah ive got spring compressers and my Dads worked for VAG for about 20 years or so ive got help there whether he likes it or not! ha ha

Hes never been up for the whole modding thing!

My cars a 94 does that mean I dont need the spring plates?

Ill probably take a drive up to Stealth when ive fitted the set up before buying a set of new tyres !

I could even leave the suspension intill ive collected and fitted all the engine mods ive got planned > ENLARGED TB , 264 CAMS AND LIFTERS ,PORTED POLISHED INLET MANIFOLDS+HEAT ISOLATION SPACER ,MAGNEX CAT BACK!

After everythings finished run it down to stealth and get the suspension set up and a chip and remap NICE !