Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

worrying

Read something worrying today in this months Practical Performance Car.

Apparently the government and the police are trying to impose new rules that govern modified vehicles such that any modification to the car will require SVA approval. That is bad. Also the DVLA want to know the history of all doner part put in the car. What happens when you dont know the full history? do they confiscate the car? Can the DVLA tell the history of the engine etc from the numbers?

I feel like our rights are going to be infringed soon.

:x

These proposals seem to come up every so often - doubt anything will come out of it - it won't make money so they won't be that interested

Mind you, it's just like at the moment if you're building a kit car - to get it through SVA you're supposed to have all the history documents of the car and most of the used parts that go into the car are supposed to have come from a single 'donor' car.

The fact that the err *cough* engine blew up and I had to replace it with a umm one that had recently just been built on an entirely new block that happened to have the same engine number as a pre-cat one and then heavily tuned and err the gearbox had to be rebuilt too and umm the ahh hubs had to all be replaced just before I junked the whole Sierra for £50 and happened to use it as my donor car. Officer. Sir.

These things just tend to happen from time to time ;)

It would suck if you had to SVA any kind of engine conversion on a car though, mucho expense and paper work :(

Sounds a little extreme. I think it's just a formality. Most imported Jap spec scoobs etc sold as new in the UK need some kind of SVA or type approval before they're allowed to be sold in the UK too, even though it is a 'standard' car as such and RHD.

I think in your case Coxy, the 4WD system will defo raise a few SVA eyebrows, but as far as bolting turbos and chargers onto the engine goes, or indeed an engine transplant (so long as it's not hanging out of the wings and bonnet) won't overly concern them.

SVA only really governs emmissions and simple stuff like: does it have indicators that flash the right colour, is the speedo accurate and marked with mph .. that sort of stuff. Given that the modification would be based on a production car, it would simply be up to you to show that the modification didn't breach the SVA approval granted to the original car.

Admitted, it would create a whole lot of red tape, but I suspect they're just trying to stop 17 year olds in Saxos putting all-red taillights on their cars, they're not trying to stop engine modifications (they don't care, as long as it still passes MOT emmissions test!).

they're not trying to stop engine modifications (they don't care, as long as it still passes MOT emmissions test!).

Agreed. There's nothing stopping us fitting Veyron engines, so long as they fit in the bay safely and don't exceed the CO2 and Hydrocarbon limits for the age of the vehicle.

just worries me.

To quote from the article:

"plans to introduce new rules governing the thesting and registration of modified cars could threaten ther very existance. The DVLA is considering making such cars pass the single vehicle approval test. This would effectively make it impossible to road register cars such (the editors modifed capri)....

....The purpose of the DVLAs review of car redistration policy is to reduce organised crime (vehicle identity theft)....

etc.

It goes on. Thing is, I suppose once the car is on the road, the only people I really need to tell is the insurance companies I suppose?

I wish I'd built a dax rush now! least I would know where I stood!

Almost sounds like the government is wanting to follow Germany's example with their horrible TÜV, where every single mod needs to be approved either by a corresponding certificate by the manufacturer of the relevant part (they have literally paidd thousands to have their parts approved and tested by the TÜV, hence why you sometimes see the TÜV type approval seal on mainly German tuning products), or an individual test by the local TÜV station (very expensive).

I've always fought the German system, as I find it far too strict, and it still doesn't prevent sheds from driving on the road. There are whole arguments in Germany over what the minimum height of the headlamps on Roccos are allowed to be, for example, of interest when you've just spent several hundreds on a nice shiny new coil-over kit and slammed your Rocco.

Tempest

Funny thing this,

The SVA was changed to an ESVA back in April this year and the SVA is far far trickier than Mat said, I know, i do them on my import cars!!

The indicators need to have the illuminated portion above the minimum height of 350mm from the ground so lowered cars may fail and it needs to have the origional type of exhaust which was on at test to comply with the 'Model Report' that was passed at the time they put that particular car forward for examination and the other things are crazy.

We actually failled an ESVA for having the wrong type of wheel nut, they were after market wheel nuts for after market alloys and failled as they were different to what was needed to secure the wheel in place.

Body kits would fail if any radiussed edge has a curve of less than 2.5mm or exceeds the 'Body Plan' of the vehicle, ie. sticks out further that any other part of the car etc, etc, etc.............

Chris