Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

the effect of short distance driving on engines

just pondering really, I drive about 2 miles a day, the only time the VR gets to have fun is at the weekends, but even then its not doing more than about 10miles at a time. I've read in a few posts now that not getting the engine up to temperature can leave emulsified oil residue on the oil filler cap, and presumibly on the underside of the rocker cover? I take it this is the dreaded 'mayo' people look for when buying a car? Dont know if mines got any under the filler cap, i'll have to have a look. Also, if the oils never getting up to proper temperature does that mean that the engine wont be burning off carbon deposites etc? I suppose what i'm asking is am i slowly killing the engine by not opening it up properly? if so, is a good thrap the best cure?

Your in the same sort of boat as myself, tho my girlfriends place is a 44 mile round trip so it does get to be warmed up then. But i like yourself only have a short journey to and from work.

yeah dazzy, going for a long drive every now and again wont hurt, but i dont always get the chance. just interested to know how short journeys effect the engine.

I think in terms of pure *wear*, it's number-of-cold-starts that's important, so all that's happening is you're wearing the engine at (almost) the same rate as someone who does 200 miles/day, but you're only doing peanuts mileage..

As for building up mayo - yes, VRs do this in the winter. There's also talk of building up coke deposits and all sorts of stuff, but I don't know much more about the real impact of it all.

As far as I'm aware, the 'mayo' people look for is mainly to indicate headgasket failure allowing water and coolant to mix with the oil. The condensation caused by short journeys reacts in much the same way with the oil on the filler cap.

that was my thought too bcstudent, obviously if i'm in a position to sell the car after its repaired I dont want people thinking the head gaskets gone due to condensation mayo... its too dark to check now but I'll have a look in the light to see if theres any there.

Looking for mayo is to determine the state of the head gasket, but if you've got someone coming to look at the car, take it out for a nice warm-up drive the night before and it'll get rid of the mayo.

Whatever you do, don't warm the car up before someone comes to look at it - it sets off all kinds of alarm bells about what you might be trying to hide when it's cold.

You need to breach 100 degrees on the oil to boil out all the dissolved condensation and clear the "mayo".