Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Why does everyone rave about Storms?

Right, probably gonna get flamed for this....but why do most people on here love the Storm so much? Ok, it's a limited edition, but are they really that desirable just because they have a model-specific paint code and an easily-stolen badge? Surely paying over the odds for one of these is a waste of money? They're not quicker than any other VR, are they? And do they come with any eqiupment which is Storm-specific? I know about the heated seats but don't some VR's have them?

I don't mean to offend anyone, I just don't get why they fetch so much more money than VR's, when they don't seem that special..

The only things specific to Storms are the Mystic Blue paint on the blue ones, and the beige leather on the green ones. Oh, and the badges...

Tbh, I personally wouldn't pay the extra for one of them, but if I was getting a C, it'd have to be a VR with heated leather anyway... ;)

there are plenty of specced up VRs and G60s that in my mind aer more desirable, but the limited edition thing comes into play with collectors. and I guess in 10 years time a storm will be worth more than a standard VR. that is unless we are all forced off the road by flying buses or petrol at 50 quid a litre.

At the end of the day, whilst there is nothing necessarily 'special' about the Storm from a trim point of view, VW chose to mark those 500 to signify the end of the Corrado so for that reason they will always be held in a slightly higher regard than a non-storm Corrado VR6.

If I was after a pristine, completely untouched original example which I wanted to garage up and lavish countless thousands on it would be a Storm. If I wanted a Corrado to play around with, upgrade, etc etc then it'd just be a regular VR.

they were the last, the end of an era, the spec was really no better than a lot of VR's

i wouldnt be without my heated leather...toasty :-)

Ronan,

I don't like heated leather, it makes my balls sweat.

have you tried heated seats with your trowsers on ! :shock:

they were the last, the end of an era, the spec was really no better than a lot of VR's

i wouldnt be without my heated leather...toasty :-)

Ronan,

I don't like heated leather, it makes my balls sweat.

have you tried heated seats with your trowsers on ! :shock:

I wondered what I was doing wrong!!

lol, I'm just not keen on them, I don't like the feel.....ew........

... why do most people on here love the Storm so much?...

They don't...

But due to genuine (albeit engineered) rarity, they fetch more money for the collectors market. But that's not "most people on here", is it?

Wow, sorry dr_mat.

By the by your posts always seem antagonistic, whats with that?

A storm would be nice for the reasons that some peeps have given above, but in my opinion, albeit biased, I pefer my VR. Fair enough I dont have the £250 badges on it, but it has the same spec, is newer and in a nicer shade of blue than mystic.... also probably £2k cheaper than a storm.

Oh, I used to hate the heated leather as it made me feel a little ill, but after using it for the last week in the cold eves I'm getting very used to it!!

Right, probably gonna get flamed for this....but why do most people on here love the Storm so much? Ok, it's a limited edition, but are they really that desirable just because they have a model-specific paint code and an easily-stolen badge? Surely paying over the odds for one of these is a waste of money? They're not quicker than any other VR, are they? And do they come with any eqiupment which is Storm-specific? I know about the heated seats but don't some VR's have them?

I don't mean to offend anyone, I just don't get why they fetch so much more money than VR's, when they don't seem that special..

I totally agree with you mate

I paid under £3500 for my 95 vr6 including electric cloth recaros which dont come on the storm

I would not have paid an extra 2 grand just for a badge

By the by your posts always seem antagonistic, whats with that?

It's my inherent dislike of smileys. I'm not a nasty person, honest ..

Anyway, I like to think of my posts as short and to the point, rather than antagonistic, per se ...

Man, this is becoming a common discussion topic on this forum.....

Of course many people who don't own Storms are gonna say they're nothing special - but there's no getting round the fact that they are limited edition to mark the end of an era. If anybody here was offered the choice of a fully spec'ed VR or a Storm for the same money, they'd go for the Storm (especially Mystic Blue because it's Storm specific colour). Obviously they're worth more money because as soon as the word 'Limited' comes into to play it becomes collectable. And thats all there is to it!...the badges are just the reminder for this.

And when people say 'i paid alot less for my standard VR with all the extras' it's all relative because whoever buys your car next will also pay alot less! :wink:

Of course many people who don't own Storms are gonna say they're nothing special

and those with Storms will always disagree!! :wink:

Man, this is becoming a common discussion topic on this forum.....

Of course many people who don't own Storms are gonna say they're nothing special - but there's no getting round the fact that they are limited edition to mark the end of an era. If anybody here was offered the choice of a fully spec'ed VR or a Storm for the same money, they'd go for the Storm (especially Mystic Blue because it's Storm specific colour). Obviously they're worth more money because as soon as the word 'Limited' comes into to play it becomes collectable. And thats all there is to it!...the badges are just the reminder for this.

And when people say 'i paid alot less for my standard VR with all the extras' it's all relative because whoever buys your car next will also pay alot less! :wink:

i will 2nd that, Well said

If anybody here was offered the choice of a fully spec'ed VR or a Storm for the same money, they'd go for the Storm (especially Mystic Blue because it's Storm specific colour).

It depends on personal preferance, If I had the choice between a fully spec'ed VR or a Storm I would go for the VR, providing the VR had all the options ticked; cloth recaro's etc. I think you seem to be forgeting that not everyone likes Mystic Blue or Classic Green or the leather seats, I would much rather have a Black or Dark Grey VR of the same year.

If anybody here was offered the choice of a fully spec'ed VR or a Storm for the same money, they'd go for the Storm (especially Mystic Blue because it's Storm specific colour).

It depends on personal preferance, If I had the choice between a fully spec'ed VR or a Storm I would go for the VR, providing the VR had all the options ticked; cloth recaro's etc. I think you seem to be forgeting that not everyone likes Mystic Blue or Classic Green or the leather seats, I would much rather have a Black or Dark Grey VR of the same year.

True, alot is down to individual preference. But even if you don't like the colour or the leather, surely you can still appreciate what the Storm is about?

My point was (all preferences aside because this thread is not just about that), if you were given a choice of a Classic Green Storm or an exactly the same Classic Green standard VR, what would you choose?

True, alot is down to individual preference. But even if you don't like the colour or the leather, surely you can still appreciate what the Storm is about?

I think that is the point of this thread, a lot of people can't understand what the Storm is about. There isn't really anything to appreciate, its just a badge thing.

If I were given a choice of a Classic Green Storm or an exactly the same Classic Green standard VR, what would I choose? Obviously the Storm because it will be worth much more to the next badge conscious person who's looking for one. It is in no way at all a better car. When I say a standard VR, what do I mean?... one without the badges!!!

I wish VW had tweaked the Storm in some way, perhaps supercharged it or VSR'd it or something, then it would truly be worth more. Its just a con imo to make people who don't realise that Storms are no different pay more for the badge.

I think that is the point of this thread, a lot of people can't understand what the Storm is about. There isn't really anything to appreciate, its just a badge thing.

If I were given a choice of a Classic Green Storm or an exactly the same Classic Green standard VR, what would I choose? Obviously the Storm because it will be worth much more to the next badge conscious person who's looking for one. It is in no way at all a better car. When I say a standard VR, what do I mean?... one without the badges!!!

I wish VW had tweaked the Storm in some way, perhaps supercharged it or VSR'd it or something, then it would truly be worth more. Its just a con imo to make people who don't realise that Storms are no different pay more for the badge.

My thoughts exactly

Whatever your personal opinion of the storm may be, the fact remains that there were only 500 produced in that guise and this is always going to make the car more desirable to a particular group of enthusiasts. I don't think there are any rights or wrongs to owning a storm as opposed to a standard VR or vice versa, it's all down to personal taste. For me personally I like that fact that there were only 250 c's (storms) produced in mystic blue, only 500 with the BBS solitudes and of course the storm badges.

With regard to the higher selling prices of storms over a standard VR, yes you generally have to pay more for a storm but on the flip side you will almost definitely get more for it than a standard vr when you come to sell it so I don't see the extra cost as a disadvantage. However, in the longer term we may well see the gap between the cost of the storm and VR increasing further as the car becomes rarer and more sought after. For anyone who already owns a storm and is intending to keep hold of it for some time to come this can only be a good thing.

Ultimately I'm a rado and not just a storm enthusiast. If I had a choice between a low mileage mint condition VR and a high mileage poor condition storm I'd choose the VR every time. I was lucky though and managed to find a good condition low mileage fvwsh storm and I was happy to pay an extra premium for it.