Sign in to follow this  
samwell

flashing light on dashboard?

I have a Hreg VR6 with a flashing oil temperature light on the dash. (I dont have a manual with my car so I assume thats what it is known as) The last time it was on it was due to the water slowly seeping from my radiator. Which has only just been replaced so i dont think it could be this again. The water levels are ok and I cant see any (obvious) leaks. It doesnt come on straight away but only after a minute or 2 of driving.

What are the possible causes of this??

Sorry if this is an obvious question :-)

Is it on all the time or just under hard cornering? If it's all the time then you may have a lose wire (or it could be worse )and if when cornering then I suspect a low oil level...

When the oil pump on mine died - it pi$$ed oil out all over my car park, then again down the road after a new oil filter was fitted and then again at the garage after they thought they'd fixed it :roll:

My oil light and buzzer only came on once it had lost oil so I wouldn't suspect the pump just because the lights on especially if you have plenty of oil in there :?

The light comes on after i have set off. It just steadily flashes? I will check the wiring tomorrow.

I was asking about the oil pump as my mate said it was on its way out when he last did some work on the car.

I could do with what the best and worst this could be, and also how likely. Just so i dont get my wallet lightened unnecessarily by a dodgy garage. :-)

Best thing to do is get it pressure tested... they basically remove the sensors and connect a pressure gauge - that will be the best way to find out if you have a bad connection or if it is running low pressure...

Good luck

Andy Walker (Ex awesome GTi mechanic) lives in Stoke, hes setting up an offic eor something. PM me your details mate and I'll send him a text. Im going down there this week hopefully too.

This is only a shot in the dark, but try topping up your water.

I know on the VW's i've owned, if the water level goes down just a little, you will get a flashing light on your dash.....makes sense if you hada a rad leak last time it happens?

Doh, just read whole post, no water problems!!

oh well, should have listened to my teachers....READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY!

Yeah, "no water problems", but note the first post:

"flashing oil temperature light"

Given that you don't know for sure since you don't have a manual, this is just as likely to be the water level warning light as the oil level warning light.

Water level warning light can come on due to faulty sensor in the filler bottle. But if it's oil level warnings, first thing you need to do (which you haven't mentioned so far!) is CHECK THE OIL!!

Sorry i forgot to mention that the oil level is fine. It doesnt seemed to have dropped anyway. there is no white emulsion under the cap etc etc .

The car is now in the capable (hopefully) hands of a mechanic. If it turns out to be something that is worthy of a post I will put something up.