DelMonty

Cooling fan after run strangeness...

Whoohoo, new temp sender unit fixed the problem! :D

After fitting it I turned the ignition on and off and it still clicked. I then let the car run to the temp fan stage 1 comes on, and which point there was lots of random clicking, before it came on. It cooled, the fan turned off, then I let it get to that temp again, at which point it came on without any clicking, and now when the ignition is switched off there is no clicking, and the after run comes on according to temp! Strange :? not that I'm complaining :)

I too have had some success 8)

I replaced the aux. water pump and found the connector for the 3rd speed fan switch. It was trapped under the battery and had chaffed through, exposing the the brown wire which was touching the bodywork!

My aux. water pump was totally shagged too and coolant was leaking up through the motor itself and into the wiring on top.

Anyhow, one or both of these was casuing fuse 6 to blow. I now have an interior blower too now so nice warn air again :)

Dutch

PS. DelMonty, I may still need a fan controller though as the aux. pump still doesn't run when the ignition is off? I will check the number over the coming weekend. Cheers...

Minor update, found out today fuse 13 had blown (horn and after run - must of been all that clicking after the new temp sender went in). Replaced, only for it to blow again. Replaced again, and seems to be ok after using the car quite alot today, I think the first replacement blew because I fitted it with the ignition on... doh :oops: Not a good idea. Luckily it's a lesson learnt an easy way :D

More problems with the system, since replacing the yellow temp sender, fuse 13 kept blowing, and the last time it blew I think some damage was done as the aux pump doesn't run when the ignition is on anymore, which it used to regardless of whether fuse 13 is present :( The last time it blew I noticed, I was in traffic, and saw the interior illumination dim for a second before the fuse popped, so something is happening at the point a certain water temp is reached to blow the fuse.

Got a nasty feeling something may have happened to the new fan controller for this to happen. Am going to try plugging the old one back in, but leaving fuse 13 disconnected (just in case it damages the old controller) to see if that brings back the aux pump.

This cooling system is a complicated beast :)

Hmm, tried the old controller but the pump still no longer runs with the ignition on, which could have fixed it as it seems from various peoples feedback the pump sometimes runs, and sometimes doesn't when the ignition only is on whilst cold :?

Going to take it to a professional to get sorted, I've reached the limit with my tools and expertise (or lack of it :) )

I'll update this thread with what it turned out to be.

Maybe your aux. pump is shagged? Mine was intermitent when on it's last legs too.

Hope you get it sorted though mate as I know how frustrating it can be. Mines still going good touch wood...

Dutch

Del - did you return to this country, get a new job and more importantly, solve this problem?

I have just had my aux water pump replaced which i had hoped would cure my hot start problem, but alas it hasnt.

Similar issues as in this thread. Aux pump comes on with ignition, but doesnt stay on after engine up to temp and switched off, leading to fuel vaporisation in the lines after a few mins. Cant hear the fuel pump running on either.

Beginning to think a new control box is the only answer, but really want to cheack the relays 1st. Do we have a definative answer as to which relays are involved in the run-on circuit ? ( 96 vr )

I'm back in the UK, and working again, but I haven't got the Corrado back on the road so haven't done anything towards solving this problem, although earlier today I decided it's time to get it back on the road after an 8 month period off the road! Should be around a months time it's back, and after it is I plan to take it to Stealth to take a look at the system, I've already spoken to Vince about it and he has a master plan to diagnose and fix.

Need to get it MOT'd first though, for which the horn is needed, which currently doesn't work due to the horn fuse being one and the same as the after-run fuse. Bit wary about putting the fuse back in as last time the water temp got to a certain level there was a power surge before the fuse popped, at which point the aux pump stopped working, so may have to pull the fuse out on the sly during the MOT after the horn's been tested.

I will post up what's wrong with the system currently when it's fixed, which hopefully shouldn't be too long :)

Great man. See if you can get a test plan from Vince. I couldnt work out a definative test plan to diagnose cooling ciruit run-on problem, despite reading the 20 or so threads that deal with this problem.

If we can cobble together a step by step troubleshooting guide, i think it should go in The Knowledgebase. It seems to be a common enough problem.

Suppose it would be fuses + relays first, but there seems to be confusion as to which ones are involved. Also how do you test a relay ?

Then temp senders? Individual components ( fan, aux water pump, fuel pump ).

Finally the control unit its self - how do you test that ?

Good luck with the trip to Stealth.