Sign in to follow this  
PQM

Car too low for 4 wheel alignment !!!

hi all,

Just had fitted 4 falkein ZE512 205/40/17 tyres fitted to my vr. Its lowered on coilovers and running on 17" wheels. It sits level with the tyre to the rear and just over the tyre to the front, as you look at it.

when i asked them to check tracking/4 wheel alignment, they said they cant because its too low. Mainly because they couldnt drive it on their ramp, advising me that the front bumper would have to come off to which they wouldnt do themselfs :s Also they were doubtful over getting their equipment over the rear wheels with it being so low.

My question is were do u guys and gals go if your cars lowered?

beginning to wonder if its worth all this hassle everytime i need new tyres (front wear out every 8,000-10,000 as well)

It will most likely reverse onto the ramp, but better to go to a motorsport/racing place to get it done!

theres 2 ways

1. raise the car get the tracking done and then lower it... but the tracking will be out obviously,,but the tracking wont be accurate if the car is THAT low anyways

2. find a decent place, preferably with a pit and some decent guages that sit on the rim of the wheel and not round the tyres...

3. if they say it cant get of their ramp... drive it up there urself,, jus keep going unless ur siting on the subframe.. the front splitter will make you cringe but it wont break unless u do it too fast.

The easiest way is to find somewhere you can get on. Otherwise I would raise the coilies slightly, it shouldn't need to be raised by too much.

You could just take some planks of wood and put them in front of the ramp, thats how the tyre place near me gets cars as low as yours onto their ramp.

you need to take car to place that have gauges that fit to the rim not on top of the tyre.. I take my car to STS in bedford, although xtreme in harlow & elite in essex have simlair setup.. seeing that you live up north you need to find a decent place that have this setup.. dont go to crappy tyres places & listen to there crap!

dont go raising yr car etc its screws it all up as soon as you lower it.. so waste of time & money!!

mines about the same height and demon tweeks did the 4wheel alignment no probs

go somewhere where they know what they are doing

thnx for all the input guys. living in doncaster sucks, no decent garages for nothing especially anything vw.

best to travel mate & get it sorted.. sure there some places in leed/york area that could do it for yah..

thnx for all the input guys. living in doncaster sucks, no decent garages for nothing especially anything vw.

i'll second that :lol:

could do with a job an a house further south!!!its all goin on down there :D

I had this very same problem last month. I phoned hundreds :wink: of garages and was basically told (by supposed professionals) that I shouldn’t have such a low car :lol:

I found a back and beyond garage that was still using the old system of bolting the equipment to the wheel instead of putting over the wheels. £20 and the car feels much better :D

I must agree that up north does seem to have a lack of decent garages, It was much better when I lived in London (And the north is so cold for us southerners :lol: :lol: )

Ive been given a quote from a garage in sheffield by :-

http://www.swiftsperformance.co.uk/

£150 for alignment and tracking :s ( seems expensive to me )

Also found out after taking car through to them to have a look see and verify they can do it that my wheels require 215's and not 205's in tyre size :S

well i took the plunge and agreed to have it done next tuesday ...

P.s Cars is getting shut in garage over the winter period, just bought a little Lupo 1.7sdi to run around in

cheers all for inputs....... problem is solved.

ADMIN MAY LOCK

Also found out after taking car through to them to have a look see and verify they can do it that my wheels require 215's and not 205's in tyre size :S

P.s Cars is getting shut in garage over the winter period, just bought a little Lupo 1.7sdi to run around in

ADMIN MAY LOCK

Don't do it :shock: £150 is crazy money ! - i pay £35 for laser alignment & tracking...@ most you should be looking for no higher than £50 IMO.

ADMIN MAY LOCK

£150!! thats A joke.. for that money I'd drive down south & back & still have £50 for a night out!!!

4 wheel alignment? Can you actually adjust the tracking on the rear wheels? The reason I'm asking is I've just had the Corrado done and they said the rear can't be adjusted. True or false?

darren, Yes and no , On a Corrado you can change the toe and camber settings on front and the Caster is not adjustable. The rear of the car is a little different, because of the design you can only use shims to change the way the rear tyres sit