Sign in to follow this  
surfer.vr6

Heated washers jets

I noticed when checking under the bonnet recently that there is some wiring linked to the washer jets, is this for heating.

If it is it dosnt seem to work because in the recent cold snap they still froze up

They're technically heated, but they seem to be pretty pants.

I also have a feeling that they only come on with the heated rear screen, but I'm not entirely sure.

Heated jets do work but will be practically useless after ten years or so as they don't appear to be that well sealed.

You can buy them from the stealers but they are not cheap. I got new ones for mine- within a few mins they will melt ice around say a three-inch diameter of the bonnet around each nozzle...

Ooh interesting... mine are both all furred up and crap anyhoo.

Not sure I can justify spending £30 a pop (i.e. each) on them tho... :|

Not sure I can justify spending £30 a pop (i.e. each) on them tho...

Surely not :shock: , I am a stickler for having things working on mine but wouldn't have paid £60 for the pair- are you sure its not £30 for the pair (thats steep enough in itself though :| )

Cheers

I'm fairly sure they're something horrific like that, but it could well be for the pair. Either way, it was more than I was gonna spend on washer jets! :lol:

they are quite simple to repair using the flat pins from a scart plug, i have two spare sets that i have repaired in case mine stop working again.

i also sealed them up after with some polyurethane adhesive so they wont corrode again.

they do actually heat up quite a lot, i connected a set up on the power supply at work and after a few minutes they were hot to the touch.

first time round I bought one from VAG (about 27 quid in 1996!)

second one went so I took a trip to the scrapyard, passats have the same heated washers and after looking at a few a found some already replaced ones on an old passat, good as new for 2 quid each, in fact I've got about 4 spare at home :)

the other option is to rebuild them, as it's one of the connectors that corrodes the most (+ve I think) so get 2 old knackered ones and use the 2 -ve pins and you're away!

David.

Yes they are easy to fix. I recall there being a small circular resistor on one of the contact points and care need to be taken to include it in the circuit (on one of my old ones even that had disintegrated!)

Good call about the passat ones though!

Ah cunning stuff.

The scrappies around here seem to all be full of flippin' Fords and Vauxhalls though :(

The scrappies around here seem to all be full of flippin' Fords and Vauxhalls though

Yes, they bring them in on transporters, straight from the factory.

Best wishes

RB

mk2 golf gti's had heated washer jets,dont know if they are the same fiment or spray pattern as the corrado ones though

slightly different fitment Daz... The 'Rado ones are also a slightly different shape...

They're a bit of a misnomer those.... everyone that had them on Golfs etc some years ago thought it meant you get nice hot steamy water out of the washer jets. Wrong! All they do is literally raise the temp enough to thaw the nozzles, and that's it.....but it's all sheeite anyway. What good is waiting 3 minutes for them to heat up? I need to get off for work straight away.

Besides, as said on many occasions, all you need is an all seasons screen wash and the nozzle heaters instantly become useless. I've used Decosol for as long as I can remember and never had frozen nozzles.

If you do want hot water coming out of the nozzles, extend the output hose a few feet and coil it round the radiator hose!

They're a bit of a misnomer those.... everyone that had them on Golfs etc some years ago thought it meant you get nice hot steamy water out of the washer jets. Wrong! All they do is literally raise the temp enough to thaw the nozzles, and that's it.....but it's all sheeite anyway. What good is waiting 3 minutes for them to heat up? I need to get off for work straight away.

Besides, as said on many occasions, all you need is an all seasons screen wash and the nozzle heaters instantly become useless. I've used Decosol for as long as I can remember and never had frozen nozzles.

If you do want hot water coming out of the nozzles, extend the output hose a few feet and coil it round the radiator hose!

I've found they work pretty well, part of the problem is the exposed position of the nozzles, so that they can freeze very quickly if the temperature reaches zero outside, on frosty mornings the C nozzles work fine all the way to work (20 miles) with the heated window switch on for just a minute or two, then the engine bay temp helps keep everything thawed out even with no screen wash, just water, my golf 4 on the other hand will keep it's nozzles frozen solid all the way to work unless the screen wash is very strong.

David.

slightly different fitment Daz... The 'Rado ones are also a slightly different shape...

Ive just fitted some golf 1s to mine :roll:

flusted, from a late MKII Golf? I tried that ('cos I had some on my Driver going "spare" ;) ) and they were different from the ones on my 'rados... :|