Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Help: My VR6 sounds like a Diesel

Has gone with change of oil, now just slightly clattery like all VWs....

My VR6 sounds like a Diesel with a "clattering" noise from the offside of the rocker cover. Its not coming from the chains side so I don't think its the tensioners.

The noise increases in rythm with engine revs. I recently replaced the belt tensioner due to a whining bearing.

Car is on 102k with full VAG service history (last at 100k, I changed the oil 1 month ago since the car has been stood for a few months).

Its a clattering noise not unlike the noise worn or misadjusted tappets make.

I checked the oil level, was just over the minimum, so I filled it to the max (is running 15 40 semi synth, topped up with 1 litre ish 10 40 semi synth). This quietened it slightly - does the VR prefer a slight overfill to properly lube the tappets?!

I'm no engine genius so will prob be wrong. I'd just like to quieten it down!

Could just be worn tappets.......

The breather box on the left side of the rocker cover tends to amplify the tappet noise slightly too, so it often sounds worse than it actually is...

The noise is coming from that breather box!

Ok so we think tappets then! It's not too bad now i've topped the oil level up, guess I'll have to keep a strict eye on the oil level.

The car did smoke a little when accelerating after in gear coasting when running 10 40 oil (valve guides?) hence why i'm running 15 40 (cured the prob), so maybe a head rebuild is in order if anything gets any worse.

Sounds like it needs a head build, it's getting tired.

Try 10W/50 oil in the meantime, older VRs seem to work really well with it. My oil consumption halved when making the switch to it.