Sign in to follow this  
OK VR6

Water Temp

Hi All,

I have noticed that the water temp is on about 105 in trafic and im a bit worried :shock: . Ive just purchased a Neuspeed stat and fan swtich to help this :lol: . Im not to clued up with engines. Can anyone tell me where the stat and switch is located on the VR please, I have done a search but no luck.

Cheers Fellow Raddo owners

Water temp on the gauge? 105 is a bit high .. but not ridiculous if you're sitting in traffic all the time. Make sure your fan is coming on at all the right temperatures .. (use the search for more details) ..

It depends on the engine, mods, ambient temp, driving conditions etc.

The manual says that basically anywhere on the gauge is ok as long as the light doesn't flash...so technically it's fine...though I can apreciate that it would be nice to get it to stay at around 90deg.

Maybe it's worth testing how well your fan is running?..

There must be a million and one threads about running temp :D

if it's happily sat there, ignore it... the gauge on the dash is pretty inaccurate anyway, so just use it as an indicator rather than taking it as gospel... obviously if it suddenly shoots off the top of the scale, then stop and investigate, but otherwise if the temp drops again once you're moving, it's OK... 8)

Cheers guys, I just dont want my raddo overheating on me. Ive ordered the Neuspeed stat and fan swtich anyway.

does anyone know where the thermostat is located?

Only 105, mine's at 110 most of the time. Maybe it's me that should be worried! Or maybe G60s are hotter-running? It's been the same for years, anyway.

Thermostat is in the plastic housing where the hoses converge above the gearbox.

The Neuspeed rad fan switch has a different connector to the VW one, just to warn you. But you can work around that with some minor wiring changes.

105 is too high, especially this time of year. I reckon your rad fan switch is probably dead. Mine was and that was exactly the temp it used to get to in traffic....and very quickly aswell. Now it never goes over 95....ever.

whats your oil temp? my valver sits at 80-85 water temp but the oil temp can go up to 106 in traffic.

There is a fairly direct correlation between the water temp and oil temp usually about 15-20% higher oil temp. (On the 1.8 16V) I would imagine the G60s runs a bit cooler oil depending on the intercooler etc.

whats your oil temp? my valver sits at 80-85 water temp but the oil temp can go up to 106 in traffic.

There is a fairly direct correlation between the water temp and oil temp usually about 15-20% higher oil temp. (On the 1.8 16V) I would imagine the G60s runs a bit cooler oil depending on the intercooler etc.

G60's run hot oil wise if you have a standard oil cooler, especialy an old one. The 16v and 8v I had ran alot cooler than both g60's I had.

Also, in all of the raddo's i've had the oil temp would rise on the motorway but would always fall again in traffic etc, not the other way around.

Also, in all of the raddo's i've had the oil temp would rise on the motorway but would always fall again in traffic etc, not the other way around.

I was under the impression motorway driving keeps the engine cooler than in traffic unless its being thrashed on the motorway?

Should I have reason to be worried if my oil temp settles at 96 on the motorway and goes up 5-10 degrees in traffic?

Not that I know of mate, 106 deg is certainly not anything to worry about oil wise anyway, in the manual it says that if you see 145 deg oil temp you should slow down...so I wouldn't worry.

on a motorway way run the most I have ever seen is 116-118,

I was going 145MPH tho :shock: with a few hundred rpm left before red line.

If your that bother an oil cooler will do the trick

Was just out with a mate who has the 1.8T in his 94 valver. He’s got a water cooler for his turbo. Avg engine/oil temps were 75-80 Degrees!

The odd spat of 85 giving it some on the motorway. You can grab the inlet manifold / rocker cover after driving it 70 miles!

Fierce acceleration from the yoke !

If you're running anything other than fully synthetic oil, then 130 degs + will cook the oil and you'll need to replace it.

If you're running anything other than fully synthetic oil, then 130 degs + will cook the oil and you'll need to replace it.

I'd also be replaceing a few other things if I ever saw 130deg on my oil temp.