Sign in to follow this  
Jim

VW Price Suprise!

The mate of mine with the Golf GTI anniversary has found out he needs to get his brake discs & pads replaced.. started looking around the usual places, giving VW a wide berth as we were expecting enormous costs.

In the end we decided to try VW for a laugh - 312mm vented discs were £29+VAT each! Bargain! Went to go and pick them up at lunch time, expecting them to be normal size but they most definately were the genuine article! Pads were a little more expensive though! In fact more than the discs!

So ordered the pads off an online VW parts supplier and only an hours labour with Stealth to swap em both - not that expensive to get sorted at all! :)

I suppose, on reflection, I should have tried to use the Wilbury connection.. but figured the postage from that far away would have negated any savings made!

Though we do have a VERY local Audi dealer - could Wilbury send through requests for discounted parts or some such arrangement for me for future reference do you think?

I'm sure he said they were £27 or something plus the VAT.... they're the same anyway and cheap from either source. A lot of the service parts they keep on the shelves are cheap.

I'm sure he said they were £27 or something plus the VAT.... they're the same anyway and cheap from either source. A lot of the service parts they keep on the shelves are cheap.

Well that makes me a bit more happy - I thought they were £100 or so a pair? Or is that for the solid disks?

Does the anniversery have same size discs as the nrmal turbo gti?

I bought a set of original mats off ebay for £30 thinking that was cheap, next time i went to vw found them for £25, bought replacement GTi badge after some1 decided to have a screwdriver to mine for under a tenner, they were going for 15+ on ebay.

Yeah £55 + vat the pair for 312's - thats only a fiver more than the 280's were for the VR!!

Pads- Pagid FR are better anyways (£50 from GSF)

Ah I checked the invoice (as I had to go back past VW for him on my way home and collect a coolant expansion tank too) and they were £27+VAT each! Bargain really!

lol! Well maybe it wasn't such a bargain after all!

My mate went up to Stealth today, equipped with his 312mm disks and pads he'd sourced online - Stealth go to put the disc onto the car and say "Er... sorry but these are 288mm discs" - classic VW stealers - fecking useless!!

He went back to VW and had a rant at them - they apologised profusely and now have the 312mm's on order and will upgrade him for free for the inconvenience!

Muppets!!

They're even cheaper from Audi ;-)

VW and Audi get the parts from the same factory, they shouldn't be any differnce in price, if they are, they are upping the price! .. i know because i work for an official VW dealer who also supplies Audi, Seat and Skoda - all at the same price ;)

VW and Audi get the parts from the same factory, they shouldn't be any differnce in price, if they are, they are upping the price! .. i know because i work for an official VW dealer who also supplies Audi, Seat and Skoda - all at the same price ;)

I'm more than happy to believe VW are theiving bastids.

The TT disks have a different part number, but are in fact, the same part, so maybe VW charge a premium for having a 'special' Golf, whereas all TTs use 312mm brakes, so they get sold at a lower price.

I bought the whole setup (callipers, carriers, disks, pads, hoses) from ebay (which can be used as-is I believe) for £265 delivered. It should then be another hour, 2 max to fit them.

However, I also went for Goodridge braided hoses (£30ish from Stealth), Pagid FR pads (£55ish from GSF), complete DOT 5.1 brake fluid flush (2 litres at £9/litre from Halfords) and painted the callipers & carriers black to stop them lookign cack (Folia Tec stuff - £24 from Halfords).

The TT disks have a different part number, but are in fact, the same part, so maybe VW charge a premium for having a 'special' Golf, whereas all TTs use 312mm brakes, so they get sold at a lower price.

Wrong. The part numbers are the same. 8N0615301A priced up at £51.17+VAT each (Dealers buy them for £30.19 from the factory)

Ofcourse i'm talking about genuine parts, but patern parts i have no doubt will be cheaper.

Which fits TT A3/S3 new beetle Bora and Golf :)

Sorry to hear about your mate, Jim, as we met up yesterday at Stealth.

I walked out of the workshop area into the counter area, while Vince parked up my Rado at the front, whilst your mate was waiting. He thought I was Vince :lol:, then realised who I was :-)

I nearly told him I'd do the fitment of pads and disks for him, glad I didn't if he didn't have the right disks anyway :roll:

Changed front disks and pads on my Rado over the summer, went for Zimmerman disks and Pagid FR, both from GSF, can't remember how much the whole lot came out to, but was OK.

Tempest

GSF i get alot of stuff from for my old bug.. they are generally pretty cheap and don't usually mess any orders up etc

Wrong. The part numbers are the same. 8N0615301A priced up at £51.17+VAT each (Dealers buy them for £30.19 from the factory)

Ofcourse i'm talking about genuine parts, but patern parts i have no doubt will be cheaper.

Which fits TT A3/S3 new beetle Bora and Golf :)

Ahhh ok, it's the carriers that have a different part number, even though they're (I guess almost) identical.

Ah well, I get all my stuff from Audi anyhoo :)

yep 8N0615123/4 are TT and Golfs are 1J0615 etc.. but the earlier golfs (2000ish) with PR ref: 1ZQ have TT ones - and obviously as the Bora is a golf with a boot the same applies :lol:

yep 8N0615123/4 are TT and Golfs are 1J0615 etc.. but the earlier golfs (2000ish) with PR ref: 1ZQ have TT ones - and obviously as the Bora is a golf with a boot the same applies :lol:

*blinks* err yeah. Just what I was gonna say. :lol: