Sign in to follow this  
Nick

All Red Rear Lights

Ive bought a spare pair of rear lights that i want to 'tint' to all red. Ive done a search and painting seems the way to go. But do you take the lights apart and paint the underside, or mask off the edge and paint on top?

Aye i have to agree with jenks. I sprayed the bottom half of my clear rear clusters. The section in rear lights and fog on the boot lid were ok. They could be held flat. But spraying the corner clusters was a nightmare. You ended up with the paint running if you put too much of a thick layer of paint on. So take it easy. BUT also you can get bubbles in the paint.

That paint from halfords is quite pricey. 15 quid for a small aerosol and if you need it 9.99 for the remover. Which just seems like nail varnish remover. Strong stuff if you have to remove all the paint again. Ventilation is paramount.

Mask off the bits you don't want to spray (including the reverse lights!), and don't use Foliatec tinting spray - use Savage, it's better and has less of a tendency to run. Build it up gradually with thin layers until you get to the required shade, then wet&dry it with 1200 grade paper once it's set for a few days. Re-mask it up and do a few coats of lacquer, or take it to a bodyshop and get them to do a proper lacquer layer.

Job done!

my back lights were done with it, looks great! i got it from a little car accessory shop. Halfords dont do it but it would be worth while trying Motorworld and any others like that to see if they stock it...

i bought the laquer from Halfords tho as they were cheapest....

hth

Ahhhh savage ey. Now i know what to get when i want to do it again (stuck the standard lights back on). That stuff from Halfords was cack. Cheers for that gradeA. :)