Sign in to follow this  
idmax12

G60 Cabin Vibration

I am new to the VW world so all of you will need to forgive me.

I just purchased a 1990 G60 from Japan with 9800 KM's on it. Everything is mint on the car with the exception of this bad cabin vibration.

When the car is at idle I notice the vibration a bit but it is crazy at highway speeds. When up to speed I can release the clutch and gas and the car rolls so smooth but still with a smaller vibration like at idle.

There is no wheel imbalance, ot steering wheel shake.

I have checked the forums for engine mounts, exhausts, upper strut supports, but I still need some help on nailing down this problem.

Andrew

Yup same. Sounds like gearbox mounts.

Are they poly bushes? That would cause vibrations :)

agreed on the gearbox mounts mine does this too, BUY OEM replacements, poly mounts are TERRIBLE and I can vouch for that, the only mounts I believe that dont kill you are vibratechnik and they are UBER expensive.

Hey, thanks for the reply's guys. The mounts that are in it now are OEM I would think since it does not have many miles on it.

I will go a head and get some new mounts for it though. It could be since the car sat so long they just hardened up?

triggermyson: I was thinking that, the clutch would have barely bedded in!

Definately try the gearbox mounts although if not it might be something internal within the gearbox but this would be surprising given how low mileage the car is (Even if it is 98000 K this is only 61000 miles)

Noope, The zero is not there it states 9800KM, This car still had a new car smell when I opened the door for the first time.

I was not thinking of an internal problem of the gear box since I notice the vibration when in Neutral just idling (of course much less though).

Wow, what a find!

As the mileage is sooo low I'd imagine that the problem would be due to something perishing rather than something wear related. Despite having only covered 9800k it's still about 14 years old so you may find lots of the rubber bushes have perished.

try to open the sunroof, and then close it again. That was it when I had that problem. Congrats with your NEW car :D

try to open the sunroof, and then close it again

LOL - thats something most Corrado owners can only dream of!

idmax12, Welcome to the Forum! - get some pictures up!!!!

You will need to give me some more details on the vibration damper on the sub frame.

I will get some pics up over the next coupe of days.

I would second the vibration damper especially since you only get it when the axles are rotating. They have been known to move or fall off. I would be a little surprised if it was the mounts with such little mileage, and you would feel it as much at idle as anytime else, but that would depend on how it was stored. Whne my mounts were going on my old Scirocco, it was at idle that it was the worst. My mounts are still ok at 150,000 miles if that is any indication. If you rev the engine and watch it move you should be able to see unwanted movement.

Nice going finding a Corrado time capsule. Love to see a pic of a new/old Corrado. A car that sits for long periods though can have as many although different problems than a high mileage one. I hope it was stored adequately.

Paul