Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

What's my US-spec Rado worth, another thread ;-)

Another one of these "What's my C worth"-threads.

As I'm starting to toy with selling my US-spec Rado I was wondering whether you guys might be interested and what price she'd fetch.

What's it got?

Well, it's a US-spec G60 with loads of goodies: Factory oem A/C (works), cruise control (works), ELRA (automatic seatbelts, very groovy), height-adjustable steering wheel column, unique US-only half-leather seats and matching colour-coded interior (black, not grey), working sunroof (quite unique in its own right :lol:), 3rd brake light, clear side markers front, rear bumper without toe-eye (again, US-only) and some other US-specific stuff.

It furthermore has InPro smoked rear lights (very dark indeed :-) ), Momo Corse 320 mm steering wheel, Momo Arrows 16x7.5 alloy wheels with 205/45 tyres, Trimsport chrome gearknob with G60-logo, chrome antitheft aerial, Miltek stainless steel exhaust system, VR6 CAT, headlight relay kit (self-made).

It has a newish Lambdaprobe, new blue temp-sender and CO-pot (just fitted recently), brandnew fuel pump and sender (fitted 2 weeks ago), new brake disks and Pagid Fast Road pads front, new disks, pads and Mk4 Golf calipers rear with braided hoses, G-Lader serviced by G-Werks November 2004, new cambelt, polyribbed belt, and V-belt and new cambelt pulley fitted September 2005, and some more.

It's also got a Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser with keyfob central locking.

I know this almost looks like a for sale advert, but it isn't yet. Otherwise I'd stuck it in the For sale section straight away.

Just curious what you guys would potentially pay for this :-)

Tempest

Mileage?

Oops, yeah forgot, just under 106K, 1990, G-reg. Alpinewhite.

40p, but as I'm a nice guy, I can give you 50p in cash...

Deal .... NOT! :lol:

would have said £3000 was a fair prece for a G60 this spec ?

That sounds promising :-)

Any more opinions?

Tempest

Its a nice car Tempest and you've kept it very original which will up the value. I hope your not fed up with her just because she was a whisker short of factory horsies on the rollers mate?? Sounded sweet as, so there cant be much wrong there mate.

The car does run like a champ thats for sure and i'll be very sad to see it go if you do decide to sell her Eric! :(

Its in great shape, no doubt about that but I think the LHD really won't help. That and the fact that G60's just aren't holding very good value at the minute. £2500 is certainly worth a try!

i'm in the same boat dude.....i've got a LHD VR and the shit thing is lhd cars aren't worth peanuts here in the UK....i might take mine back to Germany to trade in....LHD cars are obviously worth alot more there.....

You might be better off selling it (( if you do that is )) in the Fatherland Tempest, being as it's LHD but still rare over there as it's a U.S spec?

You may struggle to get £2500, but it's surly worth it to the right person, especially with the C/C and A/C

i think it would be terrible if he struggled to get this sold and only made £2500... its lush and with all the optional extras in the spec you would think it would more than make up for the fact its LHD....

just seems like no Rado is worth anything just now..... :(

atm i think you would struggle to get anything above 2k , probably more likely to achieve £1500 if you could sell it

the 2nd hand car market is on its knees and not a lot is selling

i've seen your car and this not a reflection of the condition as its very clean but you have to get someone interested to come and look at it which is where the plan falls apart

i've seen total bargains not selling :-(

sorry mate just saying how i see it .......

atm i think you would struggle to get anything above 2k , probably more likely to achieve £1500 if you could sell it

the 2nd hand car market is on its knees and not a lot is selling

i've seen your car and this not a reflection of the condition as its very clean but you have to get someone interested to come and look at it which is where the plan falls apart

i've seen total bargains not selling :-(

sorry mate just saying how i see it .......

Sorry Eric...but I agree with that.....but around the 2k mark seems realistic, its worth more than £1500

Thanks for your opinions, but I'm not leting her go for just 2000 or even 2500.

The fact that it's a LHD putting people off amuses me somewhat, as surely say in the upper market sports cars section (Porsches and Ferraris) people wouldn't care, as as long as a car is unique, different to what's available otherwise, then that, i would have thought, already drives up the price and makes a potential future owner get used to where the steering wheel is located.

I for one also initially disliked the fact that my Storm Rocco was RHD (being a LHD-user, having done my license in D, being used to driving on the right hand side of the road with LHD cars etc.), but very quickly got used to it, as my desire to own a Storm Rocco was definitely bigger than my fright or whatever you want to call it of having to cope with a RHD car.

The same can be said for say TVR in Germany. Someone over there, who really wants one, doesn't really care where the steering wheel is.

You might be better off selling it (( if you do that is )) in the Fatherland Tempest, being as it's LHD but still rare over there as it's a U.S spec?

Nope, as there were about 1000 US-spec Rados sold in Germany, 500 of which were sent back from the States, and 500 never even made it across the big pond, all because of failing to meet US strict emissions. My US-Rado has in actual fact been sold and driven over in the States, making it quite unique and genuine.

But yeah, would have to agree that the 2nd hand car market generally is in a slump at the moment. Oh well, will have to keep her a bit longer then ... :roll:

hope your not fed up with her just because she was a whisker short of factory horsies on the rollers mate??

One of the reasons, and I then had this feeling that Jim must have had as well, when he sold his: Wanting to have a more sensible car, that you just throw petrol into (and possibly a bit of oil :lol:), that does not cost much in terms of time and money, don't care whether it looks nice or handles well, as long as it gets me from a to b and back again cheap (i.e. a reliable banger, more from a utilitarian definition of the word car). But unlike Jim, I would then still have 2 toycars to play around with :-), where I obviously apply totally different criteria (and am willing to further sink money into :-) ), but both my Roccos meet those criteria admirably :-)

Tempest

The fact that it's a LHD putting people off amuses me somewhat, as surely say in the upper market sports cars section (Porsches and Ferraris) people wouldn't care, as as long as a car is unique, different to what's available otherwise, then that, i would have thought, already drives up the price and makes a potential future owner get used to where the steering wheel is located.

Sorry if i'm pushing this OT, but I'll disagree with that. My mate has just bought a LHD 964 Turbo for £16k, RHD it would have cost £24K.

problem being there are hundreds of g60's for sale with the steering wheel on the right side, but for me if i was starting my project again i gotta say that i would be very interested in a car with this spec just to be different!

Hate to say this (owning a LHD VR)... generally speaking LHD mean you'll get around 60-70% of the UK RHD price...

The price I paid for my VR originally reflected this.. just means there's even less incentive to get rid of it..:-)

Oh well, after having read Hammond´s book entitled "What cars to avoid" or similar at Stansted Airport today (on my trip to Germany), where it said in the section on classic cars that the Rado was worth keeping, too few had been made, I suppose I might as well keep mine :roll:

Tempest

As has been said, unfortunately the fact that people put up with LHD exclusive cars (such as some Porsches over here, or TVRs over in Germany) doesn't stack up when you've got RHD Corrados available over here :(

You're best off keeping it anyway - having seen your car, and having had the shiny new fuel tank straps pointed out to me ("I replaced them because they looked a bit rusty"!!!) I doubt you'd find another one that had been so well looked after!

I think "fastidious" is the word :)

Why not put it on a limited mileage policy and just use it for continental blasts down the autobahn? :)

His Corrado is currently his 'daily beater' :lol:

He has 2 of Karmann's other finest for playtime.

His Corrado is currently his 'daily beater'

He has 2 of Karmann's other finest for playtime.

Actually that was the intention, but in actual fact I have 3 toy cars, after I realised the speciality of having bought a US-spec Rado :oops:

Why not put it on a limited mileage policy

It already is since the end of September :oops:

Or give it to me on extended loan

Can you afford it though, now that you're used to the economy of diesels? :lol:

Well after today's visit to Stealth (and only 3 hours of sleep ever since I'm back from Germany) and after removal of a sieve that I've fitted in the bosst pipe leading to the intercooler (to prevent a potentially blown up Lader to spit its guts into the intercooler and engine), my Rado spat out power and torque values again at correct revs, so the verdict was: The Rado's healthy as can be, everything's fine (timing, CO, boost of 0.68 bar=10psi), and nope, the ideas of selling have died a death, now that I also have a nice shiny new 70 mm pulley courtesy of my mate Dirk in my luggage from Germany (the one thing bloody customs didn't take away from me, after they'd refused to let the Lader go through :roll:)

Tempest

Tempest

So was it the sieve that was causing the starting problems and the lack of BHP?

So was it the sieve that was causing the starting problems

Nope, just the bhp and torque loss. The starting problem wasn't there this morning when I first started my Rado up from cold, and Vince having gone through everything I've done so far with me couldn't pinpoint it either. All he suggested is to hook up my fuel pressure manometer for a whole night, and see what the pressure does, rather than just over a 20 mminute period. If I don't have any pressure left, then it's still an injector leaking. If not, he's at a loss as well, and I guess I'll just have to hope it somehow has vanished like this morning :lol: (in which case it was the fuel pump after all)

Tempest