Sign in to follow this  
gsbellew

How to remove my windows

How difficult is it to remove the windows for a respray? the door glass is not a problem, but the front rear and rear side glasses will have to go.

I think I read somewhere that its tricky to remove the front screen wthout breaking it, should try just taking the rubber trim off and leave the screen in place?

well i have had auto glass here for the last 2 hours doing my windscreen, thats with all the expert tools, so i would not do it myself :wink:

I work in a coachbuilders so have access to the tools, just wondering if its worth doing or more trouble than its worth?

both side windows are bonded and the rubber seal is classed as part of the window by VAG so can't be bought seperately... damage the seal, you need a complete new window... :|

The windscreen is bonded too, only the rear window and the door windows are easily removable...

So I would probably be better leave them in place and use some soft edged masking tape to mask them up? :?

Is the seal / trim around the windscreen a seperate part, ie can it be removed and replaced while leaving the windscreen in place?

The seal around the windscreen should just pull out, so yup, you can pull the seal out and leave the screen in place.

Personally, I would want the rear windows out for a re-spray otherwise you're likely to get the laquer peeling off around them in a couple of years time.

Right so, so the best bet is probably to leave the front screen in but take the trim off and remove the rest of the windows?

That'd be what I do, but if you work at a coachbuilders, I'd ask some of your colleagues on what they think too ;) :)

@ Dinkus, Thought I'd ask the experts first just in case there was anything strange in the Corrado that could catch me out. The lads in the workshop who strip the cars rekon I would be best taking the side windows out anyway, so I will have to sneak out and get a few lessons in using the cutting tool :twisted:

@ CorradoVR6-n.o.s, Nice one, so there is no real need to take the front and back screens out? or would I still be better taking them out alltogether?

Apart from maybe a chipped windscreen, which aint cheap to replace...

depends what will happen to car in workshops and the standards of the repairer,if it is properly masked off it will be fine from overspray,grinding ect...

Yeah, sorry - I meant if you take the windscreen out you won't gain anything apart from very likely - a chipped screen.

I work for autoglass mate, and the windscreen is a pain in the arse. Its the trims which are a nightmare.

The rear quarters are actually quite easy to get out. Anybody who knows anything about fitting glass could do it.

First, you need to get yourself a long knife, not a stanley blade, and slowly, using some sort of lubricant, ie: Watered down glass cleaner, cut the glue all around the inside of the glass. This does take patience. After a while you will have made a gap. Then get your knife in the gap, and push out with your head as you cut along the glue.

Hey pretso, the glass is out.

Clean the old glue off the glass, be careful as the trim is part of the glass and can't be separated.

The rear window trim can be pulled out and replaced when needed.

Apparently, the front screen trim can also be pulled out and replaced but i have never seen this happen.

At the end of the day, you need to check with your insurance company if the windscreen excess only covers one piece of glass or all the glass on the car.

I have replaced every piece of glass on a car for the tiny sum of £50, which is the windscreen excess. But some companies have started charging per piece of glass. If you mess it up, pay your £50 and put every piece of glass through, with a hammer!!

I didn't tell you this though, of course. :cowboy:

sorry to be sim but i could do with replacing the rear bootlid glass - in the thread theres lots of reference to rear glass - is this rear quarters or the rear bootlid? How easy is it to do the rear bootlid glass?

Tailgate glass is bonded in and then the rubber trim 'surround' is just pressed into the gap afterwards. Easy enough for a glass fitter to do. I actually prefer the look of the tailgate minus the rubber trim!

So I can just pull the rubber bit off round my rear window and it'll go back in easy?

I've got a bit of rust developing under the rubber I want to get sorted ASAP.

I think I'm OK Mr Wales, just a tiny bubble, will sand and spray myself as I will be going for respray at some point.

*cough* I HAVE A TAILGATE IN MINT CONDITION *cough*

i know - we've had that conversation :)

...theres also a black one for sale and i've got black motor ;) but he actually wants paying for it, walesy...cheeky sod! :)