Sign in to follow this  
Heardy

Vr stalling and vagcom fault codes

I need some help with my vr6 i've just fitted some new timing chain's etc and now it will only just tickover it's about 500 rpm and also when revved it stall's.Ive checked it with vagcom and it comes up with

idle speed regulation

09-00 adaption limit surpassed.

I've been told that it needs adjusting in vagcom is this right?

Is there any instruction's on the web on how to do this as i've never done this before. The car used to run perfect before and i'm presuming it's because the battery has been disconnected for so long(hope so anyway)

Cheers Jason

There's nothing that you can adjust in VAG-COM - it's for diagnostics only. You can reset the basic throttle settings, but these being out won't cause it to stall - they'll just improve the throttle response.

Judging by that error message - it sounds like your ISV needs a clean. Have a search for more info on that. Basically you take it out, douse it in carb cleaner or similar and re-fit.

ISV is spotless and so is throttle body.I checked the timing load's of times before i rebuilt it so i'm confident that it's okay.The car run's great other than that goes like a train!!

Dinkus are you sure that you can't the tickover in vagcom i spoke to our electrician who we use at work and he seemed to think you could but he couldnt remember what channel it was in.

Thanks again

I think you need to check the TPS angles out, again on VAGCOM.

On tickover the throttle angle was 11.2 the isv adaptationwas 1.000 and the isv duty cyclewas 74.8 if that means anything to you..

Idle speed is governed by the chip and not adjustable via VAG-COM.

One thing worth checking is the little black damper pot which connects to the ISV. There's a little foam insert in there which can get sucked into the hose, impeding flow.

Also double check the ISV loom and ensure you haven't accidentally severed a wire etc.

Adaption limit surpassed means the ECU tried it's best to maintain the idle but ran out of options due to problem X, Y or Z..... Mine used to flag that error when ever the ISV used to intermittantly sieze shut. Make sure you have O2 activity and that the MAF is plugged in OK too.... simple things I'm sure you were thorough with but you never know :-)

I would also put some maintenance spray in the ISV to help with binding issues. They expand when hot....

One thing worth checking is the little black damper pot which connects to the ISV. There's a little foam insert in there which can get sucked into the hose, impeding flow.

Yep, I've had this twice now, it can cause all manner of idle problems.

I'd bin the foam personally. Schrick manifolds do away with that pot altogether, so I'm not convinced they are worth the hassle! If the VR back fires through the inlet, the plastic pots explode too....all good fun!

I'll check for the foam in the damper tomorrow.I checked for power to the isv and there's an earth and a live that's switching on and off when running.

When i disconnect the isv the tickover goes up to about 1300rpm dont know if that means anything..

Just out of intrest what is the adaptation part for in VAGCOM are there any instruction's on the web for it?

idle speed regulation

09-00 adaption limit surpassed.

The another one to the checklist is an air leak between the MAF and engine (weak mixture). Split in the corrigated bit ain't unknown.

adaptation part for in VAGCOM are there any instruction's on the web for it?

Not applicable to Corrado VR6 unless you've used alternative parts from a post 1995 donor engine system. It's about altering values in a module (ECU) when the facility exists within that module. Dangerous area on some modules unless you know the channels to use and correct codes to input as some modules are not formally documented. Forget to take note of ALL the settings before a change and you could get in a right mess.

On tickover the throttle angle was 11.2 the isv adaptationwas 1.000 and the isv duty cyclewas 74.8 if that means anything to you..

Here's a good standard engine to compare at idle. Throttle angle is in spec. ISV duty cycle looks to be out from what I've seen on various VR6s. Use the info from Kev & others centred on the ISV.

Well i've checked the foam in the damper (and removed it ) and checked the pipe's to and from the damper and they are all clear.I ran it again today and sometimes it ticksover perfect and sometime's it ticks over at around 500rpm also it's ticking over really fast then it start's to hunt :? any more ideas i'll check the corrigated pipe tomorrow but i dont think it's that old..

Hmmm.. I think you need to look at the ISV again if no faults are stored for engine sensors...

well i've been looking at some other post's and i'm going to get the registered version of VAGCOM and do the basic setting's and see if that sort's it out. Is it easy enough to do can you give me any info on how to do it.

cheers

I get everywhere :wink:

I don't think it will solve this problem though. ISV.....

Right i've taken the ISV off AGAIN and cleaned it and it's spotless!!

I also connected a power probe to it and opperated it while cleaning and it seem's to work spot on,so unless there's a problem when it's on the car i'm not sure.

I've used the search and been looking at previous post's and i want to try the basic setting's procedure to harmonize the throttle and so on but i've selected group 001 (my ECU part number end's in AG) and there's no ADP box on the right hand side.Why is this?

As i've said the car ran spot on before the battery was dissconected for about a month.

Thanks again for your help Jason

You can change the idle speed on later cars using vag-com (I played with mine), but not on earlier ones as far as I know. I guess thats where your mate was getting confused.

Jay

I've used the search and been looking at previous post's and i want to try the basic setting's procedure to harmonize the throttle and so on but i've selected group 001 (my ECU part number end's in AG) and there's no ADP box on the right hand side.Why is this?

001 OK, no it isn't using that option, ADP does not apply, not that VAG-COM option. The Corrado VR6 doesn't have a motorised throttle in standard factory issued form.

Select group 001 in basic settings mode, all electrical loads off (rad fan permitted), push the throttle to 3,000 rpm and hold for 2 to 3 seconds, then release and let idle for 2 minutes minimum from start of idle, don't touch the throttle, then exit basic settings with rad fan not running after 2 minute mark is pasted. Job done.

ADP is post August 1995 VR6 engines - no Corrado VR6 factory fit engines with this type of set-up. Idle is fixed by ECU.

Update i took it to our electrcian who we use at work and he put their Snap on scanner on it and did the basic setting's and it run's spot on and there are no more fault code's :D .Thank's for your help RW1 and everyone else.

Jason

One other thing when it was on VAGCOM and in measuring block's the coolant temp and intake temperature's were reading -49c but with the engine running they were both reading normal any ideas?