Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

On my conversion Graham from DG Autotech had to get a digital box of some sorts to convert the signal from the engine so the counter would work! Might be worth giving him a call to find out more as I cant really remember much about it

Fitted a 2.8 24 v how do I go about getting the rev counter to work do I need a resistor or something

depending on the clocks you have , if you already had a vr6 in there to begin with then you don't need no fancy gadget its a case of connecting up one wire from the ecu plug to G1/12 , now to find out which wire that is on the ecu plug have a look through here or use a wiring diagram http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?205887-OEM-management-wiring-1-8T-gt-Mk2-harness-install-FAQ I belive its mk5 + ecu's that need a fancy gadget to get the rev working

it all depends on how you approach this conversion, like me and my swap it was already a vr6 so it had the right style clocks which work with the rev counter signal from ecu and i used the standard VR gearbox so the speedo remains exactly the same as how it was originally,

He's right, unless you change to gearbox without the vss pickup, nothing should change. As said above its only the rev counter on mk5 based ecu's that is different. There are the occasional ones that fall through the net for some reason that need converters but most 2.8 and mk4 r32 lumps should work off the ecu signal.

Yeh spoke to my loom lad tonight and he has the wires marked up.

Are you running vr6 rad fans as mine fall very tight to the inlet manifold

yea stocks fans and rad nothing needs changing in this department, the rad clearance is tight but it works fine without touching, do not shut/slam your bonnet though, you will more then likely need to cut a small section out of the drivers side inner braceing, the way I checked mine I had the front end off any way and with engine installed you can slowly close the bonnet and see what actually touchs and what needs removing,

Does anyone else have a problem with their misfire counters being disabled (on vcds lite) I've read quite a bit and most people say they should be enabled whilst driving, I have purposly run on 5 cylinders and the counts stay on ZERO,

I have heard that the ABS controller can disable the misfire count if it feels that you are going down a bumpy road, so as to stop false misfire counting,

I have an ABS fault but can't acces the controller as it says too many comunication problems,

I'd like to know if a MKIV ECU will work completely with the corrados ABS controller

cheers

Steve

The mk4 ecu has no connection at all to the Corrado abs system.

Also, I can't see how a system that measures rotation speed can work out if a road is bumpy or not. If the stock ecu had accelerometers in it (which I doubt) then maybe that could disregard false misfire alerts.

The abs system in the Corrado is completely independent from any other system. It has a primitive version of an edl built in but that only applies braking pressure to a spinning wheel to simulate the diff lock. It doesn't care in the slightest what ecu or engine is in the car.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

The mk4 ecu has no connection at all to the Corrado abs system.

Also, I can't see how a system that measures rotation speed can work out if a road is bumpy or not. If the stock ecu had accelerometers in it (which I doubt) then maybe that could disregard false misfire alerts.

The abs system in the Corrado is completely independent from any other system. It has a primitive version of an edl built in but that only applies braking pressure to a spinning wheel to simulate the diff lock. It doesn't care in the slightest what ecu or engine is in the car.

I was thikning it could be communicating via the K line,

Re. the abs detecting the road, this is just what I've read.

Is your misfire detection enabled or disabled?

There is no K Line in the Corrado. The Mk4 ECU does talk to the Mk4 Teves60 System but only as part of the EDL system. The Mk4 ECU doesn't care if the ABS system is working or not. It has nothing to do with the install when it's in a Corrado.I'm not sure if mine is enabled or not, i've not looked. I've got the full VCDS, I'll look into it when I have the engine running next.

Thanks for the reply,

I thought it used pins 4,7,15 and 16, where

4= GND

7= K line(ISO9141-2)

15= L line(ISO9141-2)

19= 12V+

It will be interesting to see whether your misfire counts are enabled or disabled

Which ECU is that for then? ABS, MK4 Engine?

Either way, you don't need k line at all unless it is built into the engine harness but it doesn't need to be connected to anything else what so ever.

I thought the K line was the connection which the various controllers (ECU, ABS, climatronic etc (on later models)) talked to each other,

Anyway I'll defer to you as I'm no expert,

I just want to know if any other 24 valvers have problems with their misfire counters being disabled

Yeah, that is what the k line is for. But they can all operate independently of each other without it :-) I have climate and a non standard abs system thrown in with my 24v and not a k line in site. But as you say, irrelevant to your question! I'll have mine powered up over the next week or 2, I'll look into it for you then!

A quick look on Vcds website shows that misfire count in blocks 10 through 19 are locked unless activated. The lite version may be your issue. Where are you? If you are close, then you are more than welcome to drop by for me to have a look for you.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Apologies if this has already been covered, need to have another good read of this thread as I ended up selling my r32 engine but I'm hoping to have another engine soon.

Anyway who is doing wiring loom conversions these days? Rang up vince to get prices and apparently he has given up doing it as he was spending too much time on the phone talking people through plugging it all up. Spoke to Mark at SWICT today and got prices but just shopping around at the moment!

I would love to do it myself, I can read a wiring diagram to a certain extent and I can solder pretty well but I would be a little worried about connecting up something wrong and wrecking the loom and ecu. I think I've got all the wiring diagrams but havn't been able to find any guides, unless you have found something I havn't

Look at the 1.8t thread on club gti. Same ecu and the major wiring is the same. Some subtle differences but it's all there in that thread!

Just having a read through that thread but in the meantime I'm having some trouble finding out information, basically I've been offered an Audi 3.2 BDB engine, can't seem to find much info on them. Anyone used one? Any big differences between that and the Mk4/5? I've read that the Audi 3.2 engines were pretty sorted from the start whereas the VW engines needed some updates but not sure really

I believe the BDB was the same year range as my VW BUB engine. I also am under the impression the BDB was pretty much identical to the BUB which was seen in the MKV Golf. Things to bear in mind based on my experience are:

- Make sure you have an ECU, they're a pig to get the right one for.

- Same goes for loom, I had to search for 3 months before a suitable engine loom came up.

- Ancillaries and cable guides around the engine are important to try and get too (especially the vacuum lines for the intake flap solenoid)

- You'll need to use a floor mounted pedal

HTH

Hi all 24 valvers

I don't suppose anyone in the london south east area has a 24 valve engine stripped so I can test fit my latest idea,

This will allow the use of the standard air filter and location.

cheers

Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78084[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78085[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78088[/ATTACH]

Edited by J.C

What did everyone do with their EVAP purge valves (N80)?

reason I ask is that my idle has never been good, I wont go into what I've checked!!!!

but now I've found out(I think) that there is a difference between the original Corrado N80 valve and the 24 valve N80's

It seems according to the bently manuals

Corrado N80 "with ignition switched off,valve to throttle valve open"

24V N80 "In a no-current situation the solenoid valve is closed"

If this is the case,

When you start up in the morning the 24v ECU supplies no current to N80 thinking it will be closed, if fact it will be open, creating a symptom like a vacuum leak,

The ECU will then alter the fuel trim EDIT, this may not happen because Lambdas are not in use when engine is cold. but not knowing the exact temps and conditions that the ECU uses in decideing when to activate Lambdas, N80 etc, this could cause more confusion as the engine heats up, when engine gets to temp, The ECU will pulse the N80 valve , The ECU will expect a leaner mixture due to the unmetered air from the n80 valve but will in fact see a richining of mixture due to the Corrados N80 valve being puslsed closed, Therefore reducing amount of flow through N80, The ECU will then alter the fuel trim again,

This will happen every time the engine starts, warms up, cools down, in fact everytime the ECU changes N80 valve's output

If I'm correct then this will result in a constant state of fuel trim changes and may not allow the ECU to stabilise enough to create a smooth idle

I'm hoping to pick up a 24V N80 valve at santa pod next week, I will let you know how I get on

Steve

Edited by J.C