Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Hi All

Just thought i would put this pic up of my MK2 24V Track car. I got alot of info from this thread and having never done anything like this before i was pleased how it went! Thanks to everyone for the help and info posted!

It runs like a dream and sounds awesome!

DSCF1656%20(Large).JPG

Just Re the alternator, I have removed my old one and the old engine is nearly out. Looks like I'll be reusing the connectors to run across to the starter and the battery.

I notice there is a 2 pin plug on the alternator, the old one only carries a single wire from the back of the plug. The new alternator has a 2 pin plug also but 2 wires? Is this the low voltage alarm for the dash and which pin do I keep from the new alternator?

Sorry its a 24v alternator, probably r32 (120A)

Thanks Kev,

I'm also having this horrible moment where I'm forgetting what another plug did! On my alternator cable (aside from the thick high current line) there is another two pin plug on the same wire, and at the other end both the alternator plug and this mystery plug are combined into a 4 pin plug! I'm a bit lost, what does this second plug run? I'm thinking it might be the secondary water pump located next to the alternator. Do I need this? I assume if not thats another plug change as it will run off the fan controller? This right?

Cheers.

There's defo only 2 wires coming from the alternator, the big beefy output wire and the small excitor wire for the dashboard. This 4 pin plug, is this in the R32 loom or the Corrado one? Any pics of it, and as much of the wire around it as possible?

Yeah regarding the water pump, you can either fit it in it's factory location at the front, or what most people do is blank the block outlet off and leave the pump in it's default 12V position, which saves having to modify the hoses to accomodate the first option.

The MK5 ECU controls the water pump, so that function becomes redundant in the fan controller.

Kev, sorry I meant to say on the r32 wire yes! It's another 2 pin on the same alternator bundle which is combined to make a 4 pin at the end where the alternator feed joins the battery supply via the starter motor. If both water pump and exciter run through the ecu first then I guess it could quite easily be the water pump!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting, my loom doesn't have that connector on it, but yeah, the 2 pin will be for the water pump if it's hanging around the oil filter housing area!

The excitor wire will need to remain in the Corrado loom so that the clocks function and switch on the alternator charging!

You need to use the 24V alternator mate

cheers buddy, anyone wouldnt happen to know the part number for the core plugs by any chance ?

also the core plug to the AUX pump hard to remove? iv seen DIY vids on youtube on different engines and doesnt look to bad,

I would tap the spout in the middle of the core plug and then you can wind the bolt in against a big washer and a tube outside of the spout and pull it out, if you follow me? Failing that, you might get away with levering it out with a screwdriver. I was going to do that myself but I didn't have anything of the right diameter to knock a plain plug back in with!

yea im with ya, just dont have anything with a thread that big, but im sure i could come up with a puller of some sort, its just getting a part number so i can order one thats the problem , i'll look at my block tomo to see if theres any blank ones and then etka it.

Part number for the core plug is 036103113A, £1.75. This replaces the one on the front if you are moving the aux water pump.

Cant quite remember the size of it, 36.5 or 37.5mm rings a bell.

If you need any other numbers just shout, I have my VW invoices kept tidy

Edited by mat-mk3

Not really, No!

Limited access so make sure you can remove most stuff out of the way.

I gave it a tap on the very edge so it would spin and then try to pull it out just like the youtube videos show. What really happens is the whole plug moves backwards and then you waste an hour with mole grips and a screwdriver trying to turn it and pry it out!

Just be carefull when you stick stuff into the hole though. Its the water jacket for the engine and obviously you dont want to drop anything in it or crack it.

Edit, Oh putting the new one in is easy. I used a touch of silicone round the edge to stop and leaks and then find a nice socket to fit inside the plug and hammer it in. I got to plugs just to make sure i didnt mess the first one up.

It only needs to go flush with the rest of the engine or about 1mm inside like the other plugs if you look around it.

Edited by mat-mk3

It took me a while to figure out what a core plug was! Is it fine to just block off the tube then?

I take it this is for when you move the aux pump?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Part number for the core plug is 03610311A, £1.75. This replaces the one on the front if you are moving the aux water pump.

Cant quite remember the size of it, 36.5 or 37.5mm rings a bell.

If you need any other numbers just shout, I have my VW invoices kept tidy

yo my friend at the dealers doesnt recognise that number, it isnt this number though 036 103 133 A ? cheers

Sorry i just realised you already said it was for the aux pump! Kev do you suggest this is done or can I make some sort of closed off hose and clamp it on?

Sent from my GT-I9100

I can send you a core plug in the post if you want mate? I've got a full set but don't need them.

yea dude that would be most helpful, ill pay what its worth , only need the one, ill pm you my address,

no worrys mat all sorted,

got the old core plug out today, ended up useing an off cut of scaffold tubeing and a threaded stud welded to the tube on the core plug and basicly pulled it out,

DSC00897.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

I have just put a 2007 BUB engine into my mk2. I've used mk4 looms and ecu and have founf the lambda plugs, cam sensors and a couple of other plugs dont fit the socket. I'm unsure weather I should swap the sensors or the plugs on the loom?

I'm also wondering what to do with the wires and relay (No.100) for the secondry air injection? Can I strip these out?

Apart from that there is just 1 wire that comes out from the loom near the ECU plug, Its brown/red (i think) and has a ring terminal on the end. Any idea? Cheers.

I have just put a 2007 BUB engine into my mk2. I've used mk4 looms and ecu and have founf the lambda plugs, cam sensors and a couple of other plugs dont fit the socket. I'm unsure weather I should swap the sensors or the plugs on the loom?

I'm also wondering what to do with the wires and relay (No.100) for the secondry air injection? Can I strip these out?

Apart from that there is just 1 wire that comes out from the loom near the ECU plug, Its brown/red (i think) and has a ring terminal on the end. Any idea? Cheers.

Alright Ian! Finally got it in then?

No idea why your plugs dont fit, did you get the loom and engine together? The engine side should be untouched really, only the ECU and car side to splice in.

Have you removed the SAI? If you do you will need to get your ECU adapted to have the codes taken out and also a blanking plate in place of the valve on the back of the engine.

I took the wiring out for mine and don't even have any relays in the engine bay.

The brown/red near the ECU is the main ECU earth. I had to extend mine slightly to get to a good earth point as there is no earths near the ECU tray.

Hello Matt!!

Yes, finally got it in, I booked 3 days off works and was expecting to be driving it on the second day but typically everything seemed to go wrong and I didn't manage to get it running.

I bought the engine and looms seperate, the mk4 plugs are bigger than the mk5 ones so they wont fit into the 4 sensors on the side of the head.

I removed the SAI and blanked it off like this:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536499_3556360422379_1073771319_33095211_2065239148_n.jpg

I still have the big and small plugs for it and still have the No.100 relay. Theres a blue/yellow that seems to go between the MAF and relay which is putting me off removing it.

There are a few other redundant connectors (charcoal filter, air con, etc..) that I also want to remove and bin.