Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Do you think the supplier would agree to make just the rear lower and upper insert? If they're just chopping the poly themselves I could specify the dimensions and just request the required size to be already shaved by 15mm!

edit: im assumeing you mean from an electrical pov?.

i would also like to know this, i think it all depends on what 2.8 you have to whch 3.2 you want in, i guess it all comes down to wether the 3.2 ecu will plug into and align up correctly with the cabin side 2.8 loom you already have fitted,

Treat it as a complete reinstall. The differences between MK4 and MK5 R32 engines are headache enough, but the differences between an AUE 2.8 and any R32 are huge! The differences between a BDF/BDE 2.8 are much smaller and the electrical changes wouldn't be so huge.

---------- Post added at 2:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:14 PM ----------

Oh dear, the VT mount looks difficult to modify too! I'm thinking that if there is an issue with the mount too soft I can remove the rubber completely and fit some poly inside the original mount! Having taken it apart I think its doable.

The alloy part can be seperated from the rubber bit and turned down on a lathe :D

Treat it as a complete reinstall. The differences between MK4 and MK5 R32 engines are headache enough, but the differences between an AUE 2.8 and any R32 are huge! The differences between a BDF/BDE 2.8 are much smaller and the electrical changes wouldn't be so huge.

I was thinking more along the lines of mechanical fitment (engine mounts ect) instead of electrical as I know that will be completely different.

Here you go Kev, pics of the clearance underneath.

The pictures might not show it clearly but the closest part is the side and that's a good 3+ cm from the tunnel. Vertically it has plenty of room for movement.

Thanks for that! It still looks a little close to the driver's side tunnel wall, but if there's 3cm clearance there, that's plenty!

I'll see what my modded UM one is like before going down that road, but glad it works :D

Yeah the thing is with the flange bracket it actually sits a little bit back from the main joint where the tunnel starts to taper out so that actually allows for a bit of clearance there, 3cm might be a bit much but im certainly fine with the distance, it is very unlikely to move any closer to the tunnel sides after all.

ok on second thoughts kev it is tight! im back home now and have been playing with the decat pipe fitting, with the flange in place i can get my hand around most of it, and my little finger between one part by the flange fitting! That's on the side and with the stiff front mount I have, I really don't expect it will strike anything, we will see though.

I reckon those manifolds are made overseas. Pete has known they don't fit Corrados for years and has done nothing about it, other than suggest people cut their engine mounts down, having given him £359 of their hard earned. I'm sorry, but that's not acceptable in my book and he won't be getting my business until he makes a downpipe that actually sites the exit flange in the middle of the tunnel, where it's supposed to be.

Sorry for the rant but this sort of thing really ****es me off as it's not necessary. £359 is hardly small change!

Anyway, I hope it works out for you, but with only a little finger's clearance, it will hit. But I think most of that area is heat shielding, so might not knock on the floor?

Edited by Kevin Bacon

No it's perfectly acceptable mate, I suppose I'm more forgiving even if I'm being taken for a ride. Right now I'm blinded by the fact I could very well have a working R32 corrado very soon. I guess that's what makes it an easier sale.

Just to add what I've learned on the phone with him, he seems very reasonable and honest. He said the engine was likely to hit the underside of the bonnet without cutting the mount, it would also be tipped too far forward and not sit properly. Apparently MK2 golf conversions have to chop the mount too, and the end result is how it is meant to sit. It took me an hour to chop and it's a mount I wouldn't be too bothered with chopping, so I'm not at a loss there. Being a business I hope I've got some sort of assurance/warranty for my money though.

Does the R32 engine sit a bit higher than the smaller 24v engine like mine? As I know mine sits quite close to the bonnet.

But when/if I put a R engine in mine there wont be any need for the standard manifold which should shave a inch off the height ;)

If people can run a standard mount I doubt you'd have any problem mate. All I can say is that since shaving the mount I am really happy with how it sits, plus I have space to get the OEM radiator fans in too (as far as I can see at this point, I bet that will come back and bite me in the arse). But it's fine either way really, I think there are advantages of running slimline fans anyway so it doesn't hurt.

Yeah Pete is a decent enough bloke, but I just wish he'd make a Corrado specific downpipe!!

I honestly don't get this whole clearance thing with R32s in Corrados. Mine is sat on a pair of standard Vibratechnics mounts and a stock gearbox mount. The engine is not even close to hitting the bonnet and the downpipe UM made exits dead centre in the tunnel. I've seen other people with Dipstick tubes hitting rad fans and what not too. Not so in mine. I just don't get it! Mine literally fell into the engine bay like it was born there :D

Anyway, I'm glad you're making decent progress either way :D

Kev, a slightly clearer photo for you mate, I took about 20 to show another party and I think this shows it clearly.

I don't know why it's rotated the pic but turn the screen 90 degrees clockwise and you'll see it. If I keep the flange aligned the right way, it should have enough room to move vertically without striking the side. That's a big should though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers mate. I think that's enough clearance if the mounts are stiff enough. A soft gearbox mount could allow the engine to kick over and hit the tunnel though. You'll just have to see how it goes but you'll forget all that when you hear and feel that 32 roar :D

Yeah, well the way it's likely to kick will be straight into my poly front mount (i know only the front mount, weird huh?). Although i've just seen you're talking about the gearbox mount....arse. That is a standard one, I'll just go and stiffen all of the mounts if it comes to it.

Just attempted to order a pedal matching the pn for the standard r32 but it's broken according to seller so no pedal :-( will any floor mounted mk5 pedal work?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Im back online guys, will get pics of the pedal position on here soon.

Just catching up on the thread and I had the exact same issues with dubpower manifolds. It was a discussion with Pete and one of his colleagues that lead to the discovery that the rear mount needed modding on rado's, not so sure about golfs but I hear these are fine.

Pre rear mount mod the engine didnt sit right, so much so that the inlet manifold used to make contact with the slam panel. Strange thing is that not everyone needs to mod the mounts to sit the engine in nicely and that even before putting a dubpower exhaust on. agreed, I would have preferred the exh manifold to have be better jigged, but its been in and running fine for years now.....will swap it out once the engine goes Forced Induction :-)

---------- Post added at 4:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:43 PM ----------

oh btw, the r32 engine sounds awesome without any silencers fitted to the manifold!!

Is yours as close to the side as mine is Sam? I've gotta get a new oil filter housing guys, mines shagged either by me (but who'd admit that!) or a previous owner.

Will any MK5 pedal really work? I thought I saw someone's build thread having issues with anything that wasnt the R32 pedal (cant find it now though conveniently)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-MK5-2003-to-2008-ACCELERATOR-GAS-PEDAL-1K2-721-503-M-/320935370095?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Type%3A3.2+R32+4motion&hash=item4ab93d1d6f#ht_1864wt_986

This one for instance?

---------- Post added at 6:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:14 PM ----------

Any vids of the amazing sound Sam? I could watch it to keep me going on this conversion :pale:

I couldn't get mine to work with the floor mounted pedal, the signal was different, but it wasn't a 3.2 pedal either so it could have been that.

Didn't have to mod my engine mount either, it does sit a little high on the drives side but then so did the 12V. I measured the positions of the mounting bosses on the blocks (from the crank) and they were the same, but I just wonder if perhaps there maybe differences between 24v blocks.

Was it a diesel pedal? I think they might be different as diesels don't have a throttle, but in theory any petrol pedal should work as the ECU performs pedal / throttle checks & adaptation every time you turn the ignition on. But I could be wrong :D Obviously we know the MK4 pedal works because people drop MK5 R32s into 4Motions all the time and they don't change the pedals.

The 24V must have been tested in MK3 based cars. It's a completely different casting to the 12V but they left the 12V mounting points in place :D So the angle it sits at when dropped onto a VR6 subframe must therefore be correct :D It's not the end of the world pruning the rear mount down I suppose.

I will have to wait and see kev, I heard the same from Mark yesterday when paying him for the loom. The weird thing is I googled the pn and was getting increasingly convinced I'd got the wrong one as the PN was suggesting 1.9 and 2.0 tdi golfs, but then noticed in the ebay page they said they removed it from a 1.6 petrol :shrug:...

Will have to wait and see I guess!