Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

talking about looms, have you got the pin outs for the ECU, or even the complete r32 wiring diagram Mr Fishwick? I've tried looking for these and havent had much luck.

VW_OwneR_85, if you want to know more, check out the forums wiki page. there's a complete how to guide.

I have in respect of my standalone, i.e. which wire does what function and it's colour etc, but I don't have the pin outs from the stock ECU I'm afraid!

anyone know if the vr6 water pump can be used with 24v 2.8 ?

edit- a friends just notified me that on eurocarparts the corrado vr6 water pump and the mk4 2.8 v6

water pump both have the same part number, so yes the vr6 water pump can be used :)

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

hi all,

I was hoping someone experienced in an r32 conversion would be up for having a chat with me. I am very capable of doing this I just wanted to know some additional information than what I've been managed to find, the guide in the knowledgebase is fantastic though!

So yeah anyone able to chat on phone just about this mammoth task with me? PM me number please!

Many thanks,

James

Hi james, love the user name. I put the guide together and it should cover everything you need to know plus its everything I know lol so no good me giving you my number.

What are you trying to find out?

Thanks mate! It really is a fantastic write up, thanks a lot for that quicky.

You are from Peterboro I have just noticed, not far, so I could always drop in on you with any doubts! :thumbleft: lol

There was quite a few things I wanted to check but only a few I can remember now. I own a 1993 VR6

Does the MFA function at all after this? I notice you mention oil temp sensor so I guess that will function, but what about the MPG?

I'm still not too sure about modifications required, in your write up you say front engine mount needs modifying if using original VR6 oil cooler, but then other people's post says the rear mount also needs trimming?

The engine in question is a Mk5 R32 lump but the Mk4 parts are present on it.

Do i need a new fuel pump?

Aftermarket FPR?

Does the original ignition require modifying for immobiliser?

Sorry for all these I just need to know what I'm getting myself into!

Does the MFA function at all after this? I notice you mention oil temp sensor so I guess that will function, but what about the MPG?

Oil temp yes, providing you fit the VR6 sender into the R32 filter housing. MPG, no. Well, technically it is possible, so long as you can get the ME7 ECU to send the right signal to the VR6 clocks, but good luck with that. You also need a CAN-Analogue converter if using a MK5 ECU for the RPM signal. And seriously, you wouldn't want to know the mpg anyway because R32s absolutely drink fuel.

I'm still not too sure about modifications required, in your write up you say front engine mount needs modifying if using original VR6 oil cooler, but then other people's post says the rear mount also needs trimming?

The front engine mount bracket only needs modifying if using the R32 oil cooler. 2.8 24V and VR6 bolt straight on with no mods needed.

The engine in question is a Mk5 R32 lump but the Mk4 parts are present on it.

Do i need a new fuel pump?

If not exceeding 280hp, no.

Aftermarket FPR?

If MK4 fuel rail fitted, no.

Does the original ignition require modifying for immobiliser?

No. I don't know if Normal Coal will have already had the ECU modified to delete the immobiliser and rear lambdas. Might wanna check with him.

Sorry for all these I just need to know what I'm getting myself into!

It's a piece of p1ss. Just stick the lump in, get the ECU and harness modified for Corrado use by SWICT or Stealth (if not done already), wire it up and if it don't start, just ask for advice on here.

Hi James

Your welcome to come round any time. I think your questions have been answered above however I've just checked and the guide also tells you most of this so make sure you read it properly. I hate to sound like an ar5e, but make sure you read it thoroughly, alot of work went into putting it together so take your time to read it!

I didnt cover anything about the fuel pump because it wasn't needed to be changed. When (if) I update the guide I'll put a comment of that in.

All the best with what you decide

seems like the wireing is going to be the biggest problem, i have my 2.8 BDE engine right now, and iv sorted a person to do the loom,

although thats almost 2months away because he cant get on to it sooner :( plan is , get immo defeated and immisions switched off on the ecu , also useing the DBW pedal, anybody made a hybrid loom for this conversion themselfs?

right now im just generaly cleaning it up! replaced water pump and cam cover gasket, oil filler seal.

DSC00782-1.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, I've decided to go for it now, deposit paid on the R32 lump :).

One other question, with the fact it's the mk5 engine running on mk4 electricals and ancillaries, can i expect the 237 bhp of the mk4 or the 247 the mk5 has?

Cheers!

few more questions;

What becomes of the OBD-I connector under the gear stick surround? Replace with OBD-II?

Is the ABS controll within the VR6 ECU or it's own unit? Also how would I access the diagnostic for it if the OBD-I connector is replaced?

Thanks for the advice guys, I've decided to go for it now, deposit paid on the R32 lump :).

One other question, with the fact it's the mk5 engine running on mk4 electricals and ancillaries, can i expect the 237 bhp of the mk4 or the 247 the mk5 has?

Cheers!

You'll need the bigger MK5 MAF (or MK1 TT DSG) to get the 250hp.

---------- Post added at 3:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:12 PM ----------

few more questions;

What becomes of the OBD-I connector under the gear stick surround? Replace with OBD-II?

Is the ABS controll within the VR6 ECU or it's own unit? Also how would I access the diagnostic for it if the OBD-I connector is replaced?

Comms to the ECU is done down one wire, so leave the connector as it is and the ME7's comms wire can just splice into the Corrado one.

Hi, there is mention of a bracket for the accelerator pedal to mount to in this thread. Anyone got a part number or pictures?

What is it from?

Thanks

Guys,

Crisis time, there is alway a massive problem isn't there!

Anyway I've got this MK5 engine with Mk4 gear and have just been chatting with Mark at SWICT. He's been saying the Mk5 engine won't work on the Mk4 ecu and looms? I bought this all as a job lot and assumed once the loom had been modified it would all work! What do I need to do?

The story was the engine would start and idle fine, but at higher revs there would be a problem with the solenoids? Not sure what that refers to but it doesn't sound great.

Can anyone help/advise?

I don't really get what's so radically different? I mean the MK5 MAF is bigger and the cam sensors are different on very late MK5s, but is that enough to be a show stopper?

I put a MK4 loom onto my MK5 engine (BDB) and the only plug I had to change was the Exhaust cam solenoid one. Everything else was the same.

The differences must be in the ECU, which I can understand for a different MAF and a different map for the MK5's lower compression ratio, but I'm sure a MK4 ECU could be made to work?

I've actually got the Mk4 MAF with it, almost everything bolted onto the engine is MK4!

What do I do? Maybe I should get a second opinion from Stealth!

Yeah not a bad idea! Let us know what he what he says as these bloomin 24V engines confuse me with all the little changes!