Sign in to follow this  
dutch

Why is the UK so far behind???

Usual day at work and just got into a heated discussion on import performance with a co-worker... :) My question; why is the UK so far behind when it comes to import performance??? His responce; what are you talking about??? My response; are you serious???

Curious too see your guys opinion

oh sorry....in North America all Honda/Acura's VW...anythiing imported from over seas is considered an import....hence import performance....

Well that's as clear as mud...

Ok, are we behind in 'Import Performance'?

What makes you think we are?

Dinkus....that's what I'm getting at..."So you're asking if you think we're behind on tuned car performance?"

If we are importing cars and there performance is behind then surely that is the fault of the exporter? So we are not behind, they are.

Well the only British car manufacturers left are exotic and supercar manufacturers, so I guess we got them nailed in that case! :lol:

ok...an example......if you go the California to an "import 1/4 track".....the average street car is running anywhere from 11-12 sec 1/4 times....i've never seen that in the UK...

I guess he means british cars vs foreign?

Ahh gotcha. :)

In answer to the original question then:- I don't know, maybe because we aren't as good at engineering as the Germans and the Japanese?

Welcome to Rip-Off UK.

Where it costs the average weekly US salary to fill your car up with crap-octane fuel.

But we can go into a hospital when dying and be fixed (eventually) without having to remember to pay our insurance premiums.

I think that generally speaking, the modified-to-extreme cars don't tend to get people quite as excited over here. The overall onus seems to be on keeping things subtle and making an all-round good performing car that can cope with our twisty roads.

The yanks seem to have nailed the "how much power can you squeeze out of a VR" trick, but that's because they haven't got any bends to deal with, so they don't need to worry themselves with how the chassis is going to cope with that much power :lol:

Having said that, if you want to see guys getting mentalist power out of engines for no apparent reason other than a pissing contest - the Cosworth/Ford forums are what you want to be reading... :lol:

ok...another example....my last car was a MK2 G60.....i had as issue with the FMIC which i needed to replace.....i couldn't believe the prices I was being quoted....even for a used FMIC people wanted £300!!!! i can get an HKS intercooler with piping for the same price in NA!!

the uk is behind to an extent. cost as andi said is a factor as is the conservativeness of the brits in tuning. many a mapped car has a very conservative tune to basically prevent popping of the engine(if possible)

The yanks go bigger, better, cheaper and are willing to break things more.

as far as engineering goes we are streets ahead. i remember a guy telling me about british aerospace. a top yank company sent to them what was claimed to be the smallest drill bit in the world. the brits sent it back with a hole straight through the middle

Dinkus...i disagee...yes the yanks have the 1/4 world nailed...they also have the "twisty roads" nailed as well......there are plently on short course tracks in the U.S...their just not as popular...

so.. 'import' cars in terms of the american scene? thats basically your japanese manufacturers then i'm guessing...

why is the UK so far behind in getting mega power from jap cars?

1. cost of parts over here is stupid because...

2. most of the parts are made in the states or japan and have to be imported, tuners in the US have a much larger parts catalogue to choose from at a lower cost.

3. Disposable income - americans seem to have more of it

4. audience - the scene over there isnt dominated by chavs buying max-power hack rags, and so isnt geared towards providing them with dump valves for their n/a 1.4's

just my $2