Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Brand new block and pistons for a VR, how much?

As the title says.

Ive been offered a brand new block and full set of pistons for my VR. How much are they worth? Theyre still in the original packaging.

...but as to how much they're really worth in the real world, no idea :?

Depends how much you're prepared to pay I guess. I'd pay a grand I suppose, maybe 1500?

Dutch

So you need to source a crank then or you're going to recon. your old one and swap into the new block?

Could be a costly option otherwise, but then again you could go 3.2 :D

Dutch

It's not that one on EBAY about 2 weeks ago Stan?? Fits the description.

Part number for block & piston repair set - 021 103 101A £2,025ish incl VAT

Crank 021 105 101L £1,250 inc VAT.

Then add a bit more for shells and sundries, say £250 ish.

Thats the rebuild cost aka VW prices before labour.

It's not that one on EBAY about 2 weeks ago Stan?? Fits the description.

Part number for block & piston repair set - 021 103 101A £2,025ish incl VAT

Crank 021 105 101L £1,250 inc VAT.

Then add a bit more for shells and sundries, say £250 ish.

Thats the rebuild cost aka VW prices before labour.

Yes Chris it is. He wants £700 for them, and as mine aint too well at the moment I could get these and have a completely new bottom end.

I want to go 24v but I am also in the middle of buying a new house, so there is a bit of a money issue at the moment. think I may have to rebuild, and then go 24v next year maybe.

Do you reckon thats a good price?

Yeah I'd say that's a bloody good price if unused !

...if you don't take it, can you point me in his direction please :)

Dutch

Dutch Its looking more likely that Im gonna be going 24valve!!! If so, I'll put you in touch with the guy with the block ;)

It sold on ebay for £490, but either the buyer backed out or someone was pushing the price up. I was going to buy it myself but only interested in the block not the pistons.

Hmmm, OK stan, thanks.

Is the price set in stone at 700 quid do you know, or is he up for a bit of haggling. 20 sheckles... :wink:

Can you PM me his details then?

A20LEE, I'm not 100% on this btw so I can forward his details onto you if it deosn't go ahead?

Stan, what engine are you getting btw - the one from Phat?

Dutch

A20LEE, I'm not 100% on this btw so I can forward his details onto you if it deosn't go ahead?

Dutch

got his details thanks.

I personally don't think it's worth spending out on a new 12V lump unless you have a particular fondness of it. 24V just makes sense, it's a much better engine and cheaper. Coxy's 8000 miler for £1200 was a bargain! Much cheaper than rebuilding a 12 valver. Knowing VW, they'll start obsoleting 12V parts before long, but 24V parts should be around for a long time yet.

When my 12V dies, there's no way another 12V will be going back in. I'll just get the relevant brackets from VF engineering for a 24V 8)

Kev, 12v parts won't be obsolete for years as it was in the 2000 model Sharan, at least the LHD model anyhow!?

...but I see your point and that's why I can't decide what to do :?

A 12v with a VSR is very simular to a standard 24v though isn't it, at least the torque curve looks very simular from what I've seen?

Dutch

Ah yeah that's true, forgot about old Sharon and the Galaxy....

I don't think a schricked/VSR'd 12V can match the 24V's bottom end. You should take a look at Jay and Phat's torque curves.

I've driven a 4 motion and they have tonnes more bottom end than any 12V I've driven, including mine with it's snail....

Kev, 12v parts won't be obsolete for years as it was in the 2000 model Sharan, at least the LHD model anyhow!?

...but I see your point and that's why I can't decide what to do :?

A 12v with a VSR is very simular to a standard 24v though isn't it, at least the torque curve looks very simular from what I've seen?

Yuppy yup. The VR (in 2.8 form) was definitely available in the Shazza, so you should be able to get most parts for a while yet.

And yup, the 24v is similar in torque/power to the 12v with a VSR/Shrick, but due to all the clever new head, twice as many valves and clever sensorology, you can get a lot more go out of the 24v than a 12v.

I think they both use the same block though...?

I don't think they use the same block do they? - otherwise you'd get loads of people whacking a 24v head on the VR block surely?

Dutch

The head bolt spacing and oil ways are different on the 24V.

I would imagine the 24V block also has bigger cooling jackets around cylinders 1 and 6, which was a 12V weakness.

Again, this is Phat and Coxy's domain....

I would imagine the 24V block also has bigger cooling jackets around cylinders 1 and 6

You would hope so wouldn't you? I wonder though..., Phat / Jay / Coxy??

If a low mileage good priced 24v came up I'd be as tempted as when coxy's was available, but until then I'm still thinking of rebuiding the VR. Dilema's dilema's...

Dutch

Hmmm, OK stan, thanks.

Is the price set in stone at 700 quid do you know, or is he up for a bit of haggling. 20 sheckles... :wink:

Can you PM me his details then?

Stan, what engine are you getting btw - the one from Phat?

Dutch

He did say he wouldnt take less, but theres no harm trying. Im still not 100% whats happening yet. Im waiting for prices. Its not that I dont want a 24v, I just wanna keep prices down if poss, as Im buying my first ever house too.

The engine isnt Phats no. Its still in a golf, and Andy (lad doing my car) has been told he can take whatever he needs from the car and return the rest to his local scrappy.

Hes done the invest on my VR, and will either rebuild it or fit the new one too, depending on what prices and what I say.

Hes getting the engine and ancillaries for £1100 which is a very good price.

You would hope so wouldn't you? I wonder though..., Phat / Jay / Coxy??

I'm sure one of them has taken apart a 24V to know for sure.... if not, Vince has.

If a low mileage good priced 24v came up I'd be as tempted as when coxy's was available, but until then I'm still thinking of rebuiding the VR. Dilema's dilema's...

Dutch

Well the 12V is easiest as it's a straigtht forward hoik out, rebuild, back in job whereas the 24V will require more work....a LOT more work to get it like Jay's conversion.