Sign in to follow this  
Icegeezer

MORE Heater Problems

Ok got a 93 vr and the heater only works on number 4!!

Ive gone a search and i have replaced the thermal fuse in the fan assemberly but it still only works on 4..

I have the dial style heaters and i have also checked the contacts and they are also fine....

not sure what else to try or what it could be :?

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

This might sound silly but are the dials on the correct sections of the controls? I'm sure I read on here that there is a metal contact in the dial for the heater speed but not the rest. If they're on the wrong way, they don't work properly.

It could be something else and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Good luck

Mine was only working on No 4 and soldering a new fuse has worked. Have you put a tester over the thermal fuse to check it is in tact? Also put the tester on the plug which connects to the motor assy and check you get a voltage on each colured wire as you turn the fan speed dial.

I've had this problem also - if I remember rightly it was the speed control unit.

Got one of eBay for £20 - basically if it's working on 4 there is no prob with the heater unit itself.

Hope this helps

Foolishly failed to check with VW that the switch unit was expensive (someone told me it was, i own a Corrado, ive bought parts from VW before.... It seemed reasonable it WOULD be expensive)

Rang VW yesterday and discovered there only £30 new!!!!

I was ACTUALLY speechless, the parts bloke thought i'd rung off

Should be here tomorrow

Never think to check E-Bay, which is suprising considering how much time my wife spends on there :roll:

Rang VW yesterday and discovered there only £30 new!!!!

Don't believe that, sure the parts man hasn't looked at the early slider type control’s switch. The 3 dial style is £184........

Icegeezer, the thermo - resistor has gone in the fan unit shut resistor pack on the side of the fan unit.

Havn't Got a part No, foolishly thought that my description of round knobs with bevel gears on the back would be enough. He's probably orderd me a new face plate with the round holes in!!!! I did say it sounded cheap

I'll let you know when/if/what happens

to be continued......

RW1, how long should the resistor last? I had to buy a new one when I first got the rado (VW said that this blowing is a common fault on Corrados and mk3 golfs?) but it seems to have broken again last week... no fans unless on number 4.

I think I got the last one for £60 - £70 from VAG but I dont really want to have to buy another one. Will it be under warranty or is it fixable??

Thanks

edit: ok, so I clicked that pic and it tells you how to fix them....... how long do parts have on warranty? Will I be ableto swap for a new one?

Parts like this should be on a 2 year warranty, but not sure about that if it's blowing a thermal fuse!

The reason the fuse is blowing is that the motor is struggeling and drawing too much current and therefore heating it up...

Give it a clean mate. Take it off the car and spray some electro lube inside, and watch the sh*t pour out of it!!!

the noise is a little random.. sometimes it makes noise as soon as the fan is turned on, other times it will start making noises 45mins after Ive started driving..

A coupl eof weeks back, when the heaters worked on all speeds, it would make its elephant noises on speeds 1 - 4 and I had to turn the heater on and off a few times to shut it up.

Is it a dash out job to take the heater out?

RW1, how long should the resistor last?

It's not got a duration, it's there if things start to overheat. What makes it go generally is friction in the fan unit, so when it blows as Superchareg says cos the dropping resistor (green thing) gets hotter than it should.

The fan should be checked, particularly for debris inside the bottom of the fan and also the bottom (lowest) bearing which tend to need a bit of axle grease to put things back to normal.

AARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Sure enough the part they'd ordered me was the fascia panel

The actual part is £154

Current state of play

a) if anyone sees/knows of a working 2nd hand switch panel (4 speed, no a/c) can they let me know

b) In the meantime i have just been to my local scrapyard and liberated an Audi 80 control unit which seems to fit in the hole and the cables are in roughly the right place, although i'll need to use the C's knobs and fascia. Or i might 'extract' the fan switch and 'join' it on to my original

Bloody cars!