Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Graphite powder?

I am thinking about re-furbing the blower motor as I have just fitted a newer one and have a squeaky one doing nothing. Is it possible to do? Ive heard that gt85 would be a bad idea on electrics as could cause it to fuse but what about a dry lubricant like graphite powder? and if so anyone got an idea where to get some from?

You can get graphite powder from places that sell door locks, don't know if its a good idea or not though. I'd try grease or oil, sparingly.

I've used GT85 on loads of my electrics, just to keep the water out apart from anything and coat it in Teflon for protection. It's really good stuff that I always use of my bikes. However, on electric motors you can use stuff that electric RC car enthusiasts use to clean their motors which effectively strips out all the dust which accumilates as the brushes in the motor rub on the commutator. It's really volatile so evaporates very quickly and leaves no residue at all and will strip out all lubricant in bearings etc.

Type in "motor cleaner" into the search box on this site:

http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/categor ... tamiya=273

The stuff you're on about sounds like it's just regular electrical contact cleaner. There are 2 types - lubricating and non-lubricating (ooh err), so make sure you get the one that doesn't leave the lube behind :D