Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Uprated batteries (Optima tc etc)

Sorry, already got one, but now *that* is a GB well worth doing.

I've got a yellow top in mine and it's the feckin nuts. 14V on the VDO guage all the time v 12.5 with a 74AH Bosch Silver. You can drive the car down the road on the starter. Tonnes of grunt from the those batteries and they can sit on the shelf for a year and not lose one single volt of charge, awesome.

They're also vibration resistant, something regular lead plate batteries don't like at all.

I'd recommend the recently updated Yellow top "Deep cycle plus starter" one personally. And 54AH is the one you want, which is much smaller than the 74AH Bosch....690 amps cold crank.

Do it peeps.... best battery ever.

Cheers

K

I've been meaning to buy one for years and never got round to it. then after binning 5 knacked batteried the other week I've decided enough is enough.

I've also asked about the billet alloy battery holders as seen in this months The Golf+ mag at £99.

Kev, just interested to know why you went for the yellow top over a red top?

Definatly a group buy WELL WORTH getting in on!!!!!!! Especially for someone with a decent stereo setup!!! But you may need a bigger alternator to charge it!

I have a red top in mine as I had 2 big amps (now down to one) and a 2.4 farad cap. It's soooo good where my car has been off the road for 4 months while the engine was out, I haven't charged the battery and yet have been farting around with turning the car over ALOT without the fuel supply just to pump oil and check pulleys.....

And still after 2 weeks of that it still has loads of power!

Finally at that price it's CHEAP - I paid £200 for mine 8 months ago with discount applied! Get your names down if I was you!

I always thought batteries were batteries until I discovered Optima. They really are worlds apart from your usual stuff.

Why Yellow? Well in my case it was because a mate sold his 2 month old one to me for a tonne, which I couldn't refuse but hopefully this might explain more http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/ ... cycle.html.

Traditionally, you'd use a red top for starting and a yellow top for deep cycle - for those into ICE in a big way, but Optima have given them all dual purpose now and they're better than they've ever been. Red or yellow, you're onto a winner....bin that cr@p lead plate nonsense and get some Sprial wound Optima 'fit and forget' goodness in you cars!

main reason I want one is that it's going inside the car. these are sealed, and gel filled, no chance of any nasty acid spilling out. The performance side of thing is just for plain peace of mind......can you imagine getting to your car and finding the battery is flat.....and it's locked inside the car.....

I have a crappy one in mine, so can't leave the car longer than 7 days, so yeah, what the hell...

The VR alts be ok with charging the red tops, then?

Yep, they're perfect for that. Flatness won't be an issue. I know someone with a MK4 that has a yellow top and it started 1st turn of the key after standing for 4 months.

yes the VR alt is well up to charging the red or yellow top. Optimas have the lowest internal resistance of any automotive battery, so even a 20 amp alternator would keep it topped up just fine.

Yep, I`ll be up for one, Do you really need to change the alt to a 90amp thou?

Been thinking about getting a new battery, work nights so am always using the lights, heaters & all the other things that drain the battery way to quickly :-(

I have a crappy one in mine, so can't leave the car longer than 7 days, so yeah, what the hell...

7days!!! can`t leave mine for 2 :oops:

Thanks

Ian

JayPSC, I'm imagine thaty would be very difficult unless you have access to a mill?

VW did offer a 90amp ALT which was designed for air con models. IIRC i did read that these batteries are highly effient and require as low as 26? amps to charge them

I do actually have access to Horizontal/Vertical mills/CNCs but don't really wanna piss about fabricating stuff for it to fit. If anone can find out if it would be ok on a stock G60 alt then I'm in.

Jay

I'd be interested in a RedTop if there is a good discount to be had.