Sign in to follow this  
audimadmike

Corrado 1.8 BREAKING??

Recently bought a Corrado, nice car but needs too much tlc especially on body.

Thinking of breaking (sorry) does anyone think its worthwhile?

Engine/box good and most mechanicals, electric Recaro interior.

cheers Mike

Not sure, depends how much you love the car. If you do love it, then its not worth breaking it.

BUt if you do, you;d probably make some decent money out of it. And if you were willing to post the electric recaros then I may have a buyer for you.

It depends what sort of money you spent ont he car.... some parts on the Rado are hard to get hold of and sell well. Although on here we always appreciate a well priced part or two ;)

Just out of interest, what's wrong with it as you might find somebody on here that's happy to buy it and give it that TLC it needs ?

I'd offer it up whole, and then if you get no interest, look at breaking it down.

Cheers for quick replies.

Body is faded and wheel arches well past their best as are the bottoms of the doors, ideally needs some new panels and respray. Drives nice and 17" alloys are good.

Do love it but time and constant maintenance are not what I'm looking for.

How much would a reasonable 126k mile engine be worth?

The Recaro seats any ideas?

I dont want to strip down and find I only sell a few bits coz I'll be ********

Ideally need to get more than £800 for all.

Mike

I expect this is the red one from that squaddie on ebay?

The seats are worth around £600 -£800 if in good nick if that helps.

The engine / box might get you £200 ish, the heads are quite saught after.

He could sell the seats, engine/box, headlights, full dash, few extra easy to take off parts and throw the rest. He'd still have doubled his money, for not too much hassle.

Or indeed sell it on with standard seeats to someone willing to tart it back up....there's still a good raise to be made. I was going to sell the seats and put crappy ones in and use it as a DD, he backed out of the sale with me thinking he was going to make a load more on it. Gotta admit it is a shame to see a raddo being broken.

He could sell the seats, engine/box, headlights, full dash, few extra easy to take off parts and throw the rest. He'd still have doubled his money, for not too much hassle.

Or indeed sell it on with standard seeats to someone willing to tart it back up.

Yeah, but if he's like me with nowhere to store a part car.... then even that's too much. you can't leave parts of a car on the road.

Saying that.... I'll take a few parts if you do ;) Need a warning triangle at somepoint I think....

Problem is... if you're not ready to have a car shell on your driveway, then you'll have issues once you've sold some parts...

I used to live in Southend (Westcliff-Canvey-Eastwood)

Have a large back yard so storing wont be a problem, my brain says sell the bits and my heart says keep it. Always wanted one but most are too expensive.

Mike

Did the car come with tax mate? I know he said it had tax on ebay but it actually didn't.

Would you consider selling it to someone that would be prepared to fanny it up again for the ammount you paid for it?

I taxed it.

Cost me a day, £25 train £30 fuel to get back.

I probably wouldn't sell so soon for so little, its worth more than that to me. Just cant decide whether to start working on it or break. Tempted to do both!! if only..

Mike

Why not make yourself a list of body panels it needs, have a look at what's already being broken on here, and get a couple of quotes from local bodyshops...? If it's the red one off eBay then spraying shouldn't be too bad as it's not a metallic...

Why not make yourself a list of body panels it needs, have a look at what's already being broken on here, and get a couple of quotes from local bodyshops...? If it's the red one off eBay then spraying shouldn't be too bad as it's not a metallic...

And the list is...

2 front wings

probably door skins or pre-owned door.

clutch slave

some minor wiring

oh..and some filler

Is the colour Tornado red? looks the same as mk 1 coupe.

Mike

2 front wings would be about £70 ish (( £35 each ))

I just threw a door in the tip that I couldn't give away, so you shouldn't have to pay much for those either.

The clutch slave cylinder isn't much, and easy to fit.

Panels for raddo's are really cheap nowadays 2nd hand.

Have a look in the "parts for sale" sec.

audimadmike

I did the same, got a cheap Rado of the bay, originally I only got it for the lecy Recaro's and was gonna sell on with standard interior, but it had tax and MOT so I've been driving it daily and loving it.

Gonna take it of the road when the MOT runs out and fix it up. Needs a wing, door, sill and spraying aswell.

So my advise would be drive it for a while......... you'l love it. If you dont, then sell it.

Cheers Graham, I've decided to give it a go. T Cut some bits today and come up nice, cleaned engine bay and is looking good.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

mike

IF you change your mind i'll have the two front seats :D

Thats the buyer I was talking about! I want a cut, dammit.