Sign in to follow this  
danp

Brakes - Can't unbolt caliper carrier from hub...ideas pls ?

Hi,

Got my pads out in the end, but then couldn't do the above to get the disk off...most annoying.

The 2 x 17mm bolts were unbudgeable...tried various spanners and even a longish wheel jack...plus finally a blowtorch till it was red hot...

Any other ideas else will prob have to take to a garage.

Chrs, Dan

Funnily enough, the exact same thing has just happened to me.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for a cheap and easy solution!

Spray in loads of WD40 or something and leave to soak overnight.

Then try using surface drive sockets(these are the ones that grip the flat of the bolthead,not the corners) and a breaker bar,if you have the room to use one.

If you shear the head off,you ain't seen me,right? :cowboy: :mrgreen:

Those bolts should be done up to 125Nm, soak them in PlusGas (or WD40) over night and have another go in the morning...

I assume you have the steering on full lock?? - Halfords do a nice big breaker bar for £20...

I don't think the ones we've been using today are 6 sided. Mine definately aren't, and I imagine my mates ones are the same as mine.

I should be able to get hold of one on Monday when work reopens. I will have to give that a go.

I had the same problem a few months back.

I had to swap my brakes in a hurry, cos two days later i had a track day.

I just got a couple more bolts off of a mk2 and used the angle grinder to cut the heads off, then used it again on the brake disc so i could slide my carriers past the (now dead) bolts, and then unwound them using a pair of mole grips.

It wasn't pretty for a while, but it worked!!

I had the same problem a few months back.

I had to swap my brakes in a hurry, cos two days later i had a track day.

I just got a couple more bolts off of a mk2 and used the angle grinder to cut the heads off, then used it again on the brake disc so i could slide my carriers past the (now dead) bolts, and then unwound them using a pair of mole grips.

It wasn't pretty for a while, but it worked!!

funny enough i am doin mine at the moment and i had the same problem. i used the mole grips and that just rounded the the bolt thread so in the end i used a 10mm old socket and a big hammer ,wacked it on to the end then i could use a breaker bar on it( plus a soaking of wd)

and to make things worst i am struggling with the back ones, i used hex socket and because they are so tight its rounded off :mad: so if anybodys any ideas please post them up(also tried the mole grips but kept slipping) trying again in the morning.

i had this problem, just popped to the local garage where they got it up on the ramps used a 6 sided socket and a cracking bar and they came loose straight away, i felt like abit of a girl but they did it for free.

funny enough i am doin mine at the moment and i had the same problem. i used the mole grips and that just rounded the the bolt thread so in the end i used a 10mm old socket and a big hammer ,wacked it on to the end then i could use a breaker bar on it( plus a soaking of wd)

and to make things worst i am struggling with the back ones, i used hex socket and because they are so tight its rounded off #Mad so if anybodys any ideas please post them up(also tried the mole grips but kept slipping) trying again in the morning.

HEAT UP, bang a spline socket in, let cool down and bobs your mothers aunt

Cheers for the tips guys...tried a few, another good session with the blowtorch, plus some borrowed (better quality) tools did the trick !

Strangely the other side didnt need any unusual treatment (apart from another mutilated disk fixing screw) and took 30mins...

Taking it easy for now but seems to have cleared my vibration problem which is brilliant :x-mas: , and for rather less than the £300 - £360 National tyres wanted (told me to do all 4 disks and pads..) :agrue:

Strangely the other side didnt need any unusual treatment (apart from another mutilated disk fixing screw) and took 30mins...

Exactly the same happened to me:

Drivers side:2hours

Passengers Side: 15 min!!! :brickwall:

and to make things worst i am struggling with the back ones, i used hex socket and because they are so tight its rounded off #Mad so if anybodys any ideas please post them up(also tried the mole grips but kept slipping) trying again in the morning.

HEAT UP, bang a spline socket in, let cool down and bobs your mothers aunt

cheers for that sciroccotune, i ended up knocking a socket on again and it work wonders. just that now i am getting a droning noise :mad: looks like time for a bearing or two

Ha - I had the same problem with mine! Went through a couple of bars from a socett set (borrowed from work) on one side and the other was no bother. WD does the trick but leaving it overnight takes some doing. Patience is a virtue. :reindeer:

Strangely,the same thing happened on the rear caliper of the Golf.

Stupid bloody hex type bolts would not turn and ended up rounding them out-even banged in a larger spline tool and tried that,with no joy.

Eventuallt,I had to butcher them with a pair of vice grips that were wound up so tight that they left marks in the studs.

Got a couple of high strength stainless steel bolts with normal six-sided head,cut them down to size and re-fitted them instead.

Cowboy,me?

Naaaaaahhhh. :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

Cowboy,me?

Naaaaaahhhh. :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

:lol:

I like to call it 'Creative modification'!!

I had it too with my front calipers, the garage I took it to used a breaker bar about 3 feet long and he really had to haul on it.