Sign in to follow this  
james_88

Engine Warming Up Time

Just wondering how long your engines take to warm up in the morning? I have a G60 and it seems to take ages to get up to 80 degrees (oil temp), usually about 5 or 6 miles driving or after about 10 mins of driving!

Is this just a general corrado thing? Other cars i've driven warm up after only a few minutes!

mines the same mate!by the time i get to work its just hitti the right temp to give it some :lol: approx 7 miles least she's being drove carefully :D

Sorree, had second thoughts.

My 8vs take about 12 mins (8mins in summer) to fully warm up this weather to 90'C over 3.5 miles in this weather.

VR6 takes about 12 minutes in summer to get oil to operating temp of 90'C.

I've not know VWs to be any differnet from the era 1980 - 1995.

My Golf VR6 takes about 15 mins or at least 10 miles in this cold weather to reach oil operating temp of 90 degrees. Not a lot different in the summer. I always keep it below 3k revs until it reaches op temp.

Same here, although I do notice that my G60 Rado is a wee bit quicker to warm up than my 8V Roccos. I'm not overly bothered by that, as fortunately I don' use any of my babies as daily drivers :-) They just come out whenever I want to take them out, weekends etc.

Tempest

My G60 takes around 4 miles to get up to temp (careful driving). However, now the temperature has dropped due to the winter, I leave my car to idle for 10-15 mins before i set off to work in a morning. That way the temp is 80 degrees+ thus no need to worry about low oil temps while driving. But then again i have a drive thats far enough off the road AND in a good area. (not a dig at those that live in a dodgy area, but i know it wont get nicked in my estate)

How long would it take with an an oil cooler on? Im going to get one before the summer but Im guessing it is gonna take even longer before I can give it some wiggins?

How long would it take with an an oil cooler on?

Point about the original fit coolant oil cooler is it is designed to warm the oil up quicker until operating temperature is acheived. Then it maintains the oil temp or absorbs the extra temperature and dumps the heat into the water cooling system. Applies to all Corrado engines.

So replacing isn't the way. Adding in parallel, yes so that it works when oil temp rises above operating temp but is off during warm-up.

might me worth covering the oil cooler,(presumebly youve done a mocal conversion)in foil so the oil heats up quicker in winter

My G60 takes around 4 miles to get up to temp (careful driving). However, now the temperature has dropped due to the winter, I leave my car to idle for 10-15 mins before i set off to work in a morning. That way the temp is 80 degrees+ thus no need to worry about low oil temps while driving. But then again i have a drive thats far enough off the road AND in a good area. (not a dig at those that live in a dodgy area, but i know it wont get nicked in my estate)

That's the worst thing you can do for a car. If you actually drive the car to warm it up it'll warm up quicker than if it's just idleing plus you'll have the "bonus" of actually travelling somewhere whilst the car chews through the petrol when it's cold. You're best off just driving it gently from the moment you turn the key. :)