Sign in to follow this  
DaveVR6

VR6 suspension setup question

ATM my suspension is totally standard, when my car whent in for a service with VW a couple of months ago they said the 'Near side rear damper is leaking slightly' and will need replacing at some point.

What exactly is the damper, and why would it be leaking!? I thought it was just a bush sat on top of the suspension arm? I am not undestanding.

They also quoted me £115 (i think) to fix it.

Ta

The damper absorbs shocks from the road, most use hydraulic fluid (which is what you have leaking). £115 sounds ok if that includes the fitting?

£115 is a bit pricey for a single damper, is that fitted.. if so then might be alright..... you can probably get one from a breakers and get it fitted elsewhere for less. Also you can go down the replacement route and get the lot swapped out for something a little more sporty if you have the money to play with... might want to look at the group buys if you want to go down that route as there's one on H&R right now IIRC

cheers guys, Ive been thinkin about some FK konisport coilovers for a while. how much of the orignal setup do coilovers replace?

(Need a new clutch as well, so thinking bout getting the whole lot done in one go)

you should only replace dampers in pairs,that price is just for 1??

Dont know tbh, need to give them a call when ive decided what im gonna do.

The FK coilovers will replace all of your dampers and springs and they would probably fit new topmounts & rear bumpstops in the process .

From reading the forum they seem to be the choice coilovers.

So whats a bush then?? (dont say green leafy thing) ...bumpstops? damper??

A bush is a rubbery bit that goes in joints to cushion them. Technically, it can mean anything from engine mounts to various suspension bushes.

However, when people are talking about them on here, they usually mean the rear axle bushes.

In very basic (i.e. as I understand it! :lol: ) terms, the rear axle is attached to the car on each side. The axle has a round hole in it on each side and these fit over a pole on the underside of the car. The axle bush goes between the pole and the hole (ooh poetry) and cushions the movement of the axle.

The standard VAG bushes are about £50 and made of rubber - this allows the axle to twist slightly on its mounts and you get the passive rear-steer.

Over time, the rubber degrades and goes all soft - this means that the axle can move around a lot more than it's supposed to and you get far more oversteer than you're supposed to. The car also feels unstable and a bit vague/sloppy, especially at speed.

You can also buy poly (read plastic) bushes which are stiffer than the standard bushes and so eliminate that play from the chassis.

Personally, I went for the standard VAG replacements on the theory that the poly ones cost more, people that rave about them are comparing their old, shagged bushes with new ones, poly bushes can creak in the cold, you don't get the passive rear-steer with the poly bushes and the Corrado is/was supposed to be one of the best handling cars around when it was new, so there can't be that much wrong with the VAG bushes.

Having said that, I've also got all-new and uprated suspension and brakes... :lol:

Cool, cheers dinkus, thats very help.

Over time, the rubber degrades and goes all soft - this means that the axle can move around a lot more than it's supposed to and you get far more oversteer than you're supposed to. The car also feels unstable and a bit vague/sloppy, especially at speed.

Sounds faimiliar!!