Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Ever tempted to go Jap?

I suppose the final deciding factor was that the ZX was only good for around 18mpg !!

That's all I get anyway! :twisted:

got 2 japs cars at home if I fancy something different..

this ones special!!

I got one of those too!!!

Nice cars !!

Have you? its not an IS200, its an import Altezza :D

you talking to me??

It runs a Yamaha 2.0L lump 210bhp standard.. we've fitted a blitz s/c kit & few other mods.. pushing abt 280bhp now..

whenever i think about changin my car,i always think about gettin an rx7 type r

love the way they look,bet they go pretty well too!!

you talking to me??

It runs a Yamaha 2.0L lump 210bhp standard.. we've fitted a blitz s/c kit & few other mods.. pushing abt 280bhp now..

Yeah, I meant whats the difference between a UKDM Lexus IS200 and a JDM Altezza IS200?

And how have you managed to gain 70bhp on a n/a engine?

you talking to me??

Yeah, I meant whats the difference between a UKDM Lexus IS200 and a JDM Altezza IS200?

The UK cars comes with a leather & a different engine

the jap car comes with cloth & different lump..

as I said fitted a blitz supercharger kit to the engine...

I nearly bought an RX7 last year. Test drove a few, very very nice cars. Amazing brakes on them, but its a shame that the engine can go pop. Best to get one thats done over 60k and had a rebuild, that way you know it (probably) won't go pop.

Also, you know theres only three moving parts in a rotary engine? That statement could be blatently false, but it's what I've been told ;) lol

you talking to me??

Oops. I missed the s/c bit. They're meant to be a bit sluggish as standard so yours should be quite tasty. Do they handle? Looks stealth too.

you talking to me??

Oops. I missed the s/c bit. They're meant to be a bit sluggish as standard so yours should be quite tasty. Do they handle? Looks stealth too.

no worries..

the IS is pants, the standard altezza has a good engine as standard

running apexi coilovers & uprated roll bars.. handles alot better.. the rims in the pic are winter rims...

As soon as I get all the little things finished on my car, it'll be up for sale, and a Twin Turbo Supra will be on the way :D

I love VW's and hope when I can afford to that I'll return to owning one - will still be going to all the VW shows next year with the Section 5 guys. But the power potential from the twin turbo jap cars cannot be ignored, especially considering how much they go for nowadays :)

Ronan said

shame that the engine can go pop

Beautifully-performing RX rotary engined Mazdas around in the early 1970s were known to go pop due to rotor tip wear and sank without trace until recently.

What are the alleged miracle improvements to the rotor tips they are trying to relaunch these engines with now, does anyone know? Perhaps they are hoping that everyone who knew of the early flops is now dead? A bit optimistic really.

I'm not sure, but I know the new apex seals they use are meant to be improved somehow, and a lot of the RX7 guys use RX8 apex seals now, but as for how they are improved, i have no idea.

I must admit, I've been tempted by the performance of these cars, especially seeing as I live about 5 mins away from elvington airfield, where Ten of The Best is held every year.

But, I've managed to keep it vw for the past 8 years, and it's my goal to have a vw that will keep up and indeed beat these mental jap motors.

for racing, yes, I could be tempted. for a daily drive or 'nice' car? no chance, they are horribly plastic and feel cheap. I can't help but think how crap the MX5 over the road is, it's so cheap it's as if it's a toy and not a real car.

PhatVR6 said

I can't help but think how crap the MX5 over the road is, it's so cheap it's as if it's a toy and not a real car.

My son had a nice looking black MX-5 for a while.

I am not a mental driver but if that is what a true sports car feels like, you can keep it.

After having had a shot I wondered what all the fuss was about. I hated the very low driving position and the suspension was like that of a haycart.

Possibly it was a bad example - it was an import with a low mileage, but had had the suspension, etc adjusted by a reputable company.

Funnily enough my son tried to make out it was really wonderful, but took the first good offer he got for it and bought a Lupo GTI. :wink:

What are the alleged miracle improvements to the rotor tips they are trying to relaunch these engines with now, does anyone know?

Possibly Norton have the answer - they've been making rotory engines for light aircraft for a few years now & even tried one in a motorbike.

this ones special!!

Nice cars !!

NAh mine is just an IS 200 is that an RS or something??

this ones special!!

Nice cars !!

NAh mine is just an IS 200 is that an RS or something??

Yeah its the import RS200

Know they're not exactly power monsters, and they look a bit ordinary, but I've had 2 Civic VTI's. One was the old EG hatch with the mental 1.6. If I'm not mistaken, the most powerful N/A 1.6 factory engine ever built. Fantastic in VTEC. The 1.8 I had was also quick and brilliant in VTEC. Probably preferred the 1.8- more torquey. Nothing whatsoever went wrong on either. Lacked that bit of character though, and the electric steering with huge steering wheel was a bit crap!

Would love an Impreza or a DC5 Integra. Like the late shape Motegi Prelude and S14A 200SX too.

Here's my first VTI:

A dude down the road owns a shiny black newish Celica, I admit to knowing nothing about the car but I do think it looks pretty cool.. anyone drive one?

The review of the new Civic on 5th Gear was good. Looked like a concept civic! Had some lovely features and IIRC wasn't even that pricey.. :)

The celica T Sport is alot of fun with 190 bhp it pulls like a train when you hit the power band but unfotunately its a bit too high in the rev range for my liking 6200rpm iirc. The std 1.8 vvti celica with 140bhp is boring as hell I didn't like that one at all!

I was tempted to go Jap, and did. Bought a Scooby WRX PPP in Jan last year and talked the g/f into adopting the C. In nearly 2 years the Scoob hasn't had a single fault. 25k miles, 4 track days, many (very) high speed blasts around country lanes and not a single problem. I have modified various bits and have always found everything to be superbly engineered, much better than the C, but the C is over 14 years old now. Performance-wise they are poles apart. 0-60 4.8s, 1/4 in 13.5, 155mph (official - but I have seen 175 on the clock) the Scoob just flies in every situation, but my C is only a 16V. Handling-wise the C is superb still, but showing its age even though a couple of years back she was treated to every single part that rolls, bounces or brakes new on every corner. The Scoob has fully adjustable coilovers (free from a mate) and uprated adjustable ARB's, and combined with that famous 4WD grip is devastating cross country.

Would I go back to German, possibly ? I like the look of the new RS4, but it's way out of my price league and was trounced around Bedford's West Circuit in February's Evo mag by an Evo MR320 worth almost half as much by 4 seconds a lap. It was also outclassed by an M3CS on the Welsh twisties. The R32 is outshone even by its own little brother, the GTi. An M5 would be awesome, but again, is way out of my league and the M3 I drove left me a little cold.

So, I'll probably stay Jap ! On my hit list are a Nissan 350Z, Subaru Forester STi (330bhp/330ftlb), Impreza Spec C and Evo X (oh, baby !). I do however have a craving to try a BMW M3 Coupe (not 3 series) sometime. 330bhp through the rear wheels sounds like fun to me, and I love the qwerky styling.