Sign in to follow this  
rixy

Main Differnaces Between A Charger And A Turbo On A VR?

If the turbo is sized correctly it can be producing full boost at less than 3000rpm, and heft-loads of torque - but as the others said, IF you can get insured at all, you'll be paying more than the cost of the conversion in insurance (£3k and up...!)

Not really advisable to run a turbo without an intercooler too, and I've heard that there's problems with kits from the US and Europe as they're designed for left-hookers and the turbo outlet pipes foul on various components in a rhd car...

Oh, if it were that simple...!

dont worry about making it fit, anything can be acheived with an anglegrinder and some air tools.... :norty:

you know how it is round ours!

as for insurance........just learn portuguese, they dont have insurance round here mate!!

turbo'd an supercharged?is that possible? :silly:

It is possable. The supercharger for the low revs and a turbo for when the engine is screaming.

Some people even bi-turbo either running the turbos in line or in series

Need to be careful with charger choice though, since Vortechs and the like don't boost until about 3500 rpm. If you want, say, 10psi from idle upwards from the charger, you'd need a tiny pulley and the parastic losses would be huge! Plus by the time it gets to 3500rpm where you want the turbo to take over, you'd need to vent off the charger's excess boost and getting the two to takeover seemlessly would be very tricky!

Although Lancia managed it in the Delta for Rallying, it was crude and unreliable :lol:

I wouldn't mind taking VW's twin charged engine apart to see how they did it 8)

What you really want is an electric supercharger with an intelligent control system to shut it off at a predetermined rpm......but again, the current required to drive it would put a big strain on the alternator, which itself will then create large parasitic loads.

Nothing's ever simple!

dont worry about making it fit, anything can be acheived with an anglegrinder and some air tools.... :norty:

you know how it is round ours!

as for insurance........just learn portuguese, they dont have insurance round here mate!!

yeah but if thats your kind of attitude and can take ur own work why would u spend crap load of money on a kit that wont fit when you can build it for cheaper yourself???

I wouldn't mind taking VW's twin charged engine apart to see how they did it 8)

i will be able to let you know what they drive like on friday as we are fitting the tracking system to one that is going on a round the world record attempt 8)

i will have a good look around the engine bay while we are at it :lol:

the badge on the back does say TSI though :?

odd thing is its a right hand drive but on german plates ?

i think it will probably be going back to vw to be taken to bits and analysed after doing the journey.

they where very cagey about what engine was in the golf and seemed quite surprised i knew what it was :lol:

put the turbo in the boot and use it for the bottle warmer for noz :shock: - sorry , couldnt resist

(dont do it lol )