Sign in to follow this  
coolasacucumber

Which Corrado would be best?

I am getting rid of my Citroen C5 HDI as soon as I can, and I want to replace it with a C.

I will have max of £3500-£4000 to spend. I want either a VR6 or a G60.

I know I am going to take a drop in fuel economy, I get 40mpg at the moment, but which is better G or V?

I will be keeping it for a while, and slowly modding it as I go along.

As it will be my main car, taking it off the road for any period of time really isnt an option (like a charger rebuild for instance).

Despite that - I am still leaning towards the G - I just love the whine!

I also have a G40'd mk1 Golf.

Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated!

Cheers :)

Oh - I should add - I do anywhere between 350-500 miles a week for work, but they pay the petrol.

Also I am 23 - but I usually do pretty well with insurance, so im not too worried about that.

If I was you, and you're keeping the mk1 , i'd deffo say go for the vr6....it's a personal circumstance thing really.

Welcome mate :)

Well, there's not a huge difference between the g60 and the vr with petrol, but the g60 is better for petrol, depends a lot how heavy your right foot is.

For that money, I'd personally buy a vr6.

mpg is about the same on both maybe slightly better on the G , i would only advise you drive both as people can only give you their opinion on which they prefer

vrs more diff to mod but come with 190 bhp as standard

g60 tunable as you know, older spec trim (not much different)

personally I would go VR for a newer car...

mind you G are getting cheaper, if you needed a rebuild you could always strap a lysholm on there!

Thanks very much for the replies so far!

What are the differences between the trim? Ive been looking at pics of both and cant really see much different.

Petrol wise I take it pretty steady usually, but I like to have a bit of fun to break up the long journies.

I remember there being 2 colours of dash, black and grey, id like to avoid the grey if at all possible, are there any models/years that I should avoid?

Well, it might not be typical, but I'd get 30mpg average out of my G60 where my mate would get 25 out of his VR6. Over 350-500 miles per week that adds up.

Do they just pay the petrol you stick in, or give you a mileage rate? Ie if you get the more economical car, do you get spare cash in your pocket? :)

Having owned a G60 (and loved it enough to own it for 6.5 years) I couldn't and wouldn't advise against a G60 - loved it. However, if I was to buy another Corrado I'd go for a VR6 next time - I prefer the sound of them, they're a bit faster, I've already owned a G60, and of course they're newer :)

How many miles are the VR engines good for if looked after properly?

So long as they are treated well (full service history, oil changed regularly) then they can go on to do big milage. mines on 141k still pulls like a train and no smoke etc. I think there are some on here with close to if not 200k+.

I think the best thing you can do is go drive good examples of both - I've not driven a G myself, but apparently they are very different beasts. I reckon if you try them both, you will instantly prefer one or t'other - seems that most peeps on here who've driven both do...

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I have had the greatest of privalige to drive both, and my opinion is the vr!!

But as most have said, thats just my opinion... yours might be a little different!!! I think the vr is a bit smoother as well!!! But for that money you could get a mucho sweet one.

Good luck mate

The VR is definitely smoother. But the weird thing about the VR is that it just feels a little slower off the mark. I don't think it actually is, I just think it's the way the G60 delivers its torque that makes it feel quicker than it actually is! :)

The VR can feel VERY slow off the mark :-)

The 24V VR is the complete opposite though. Drove a standard 4motion last year and the torque off the mark is astonishing compared to the ageing 12 valver.

Driving a VR after driving my G60 for 2 years, they do feel a lot slower (but having raced my friends many times, they're actually around the same speed). I always thought I wanted a VR6 after hearing that they're smoother, and more refined than the G60 (which is true), but when I finally drove one, I was a little dissappointed, and realised that the franticness of the G60 is much more appealing to me :)

With that been said, I would recommend buying a G60... and it just so happens mine will be for sale very soon :lol:

IMO buy a modded G60, and any mods you were going to do to the VR will be well spent on the modded G60.

Have a chat G-werks about making a G go fast.

I've been thinking about selling mine again, had someone make me an offer on it today funnily enough. Going to take them out for a test drive tomorrow & make a decision in the next few weeks. If it is for sale soon, it'll be up on here 1st.

I also have a G40'd mk1 Golf.

Why would you want 2 cars with a G-lader??

My G40 is enough to put me off them for life!!

I'd go for the VR.

It's nice to change from the frantic G40 (when it's working) and drive a proper car. Slower but super to drive!

What a nightmare driveway you'd have with a a 40 and a 60 on it!!!

Well I've not driven a VR but I've had my G60 for a few months now and think it's great. Yeah they're always playing up, but nothing that's gone wrong on mine is major, or something that couldn't have blown on a VR anyway.....

Mines at 192k and feel very solid, so mileage is always down to the way it treated....

IMO buy a modded G60, and any mods you were going to do to the VR will be well spent on the modded G60.

Have a chat G-werks about making a G go fast.

I've been thinking about selling mine again, had someone make me an offer on it today funnily enough. Going to take them out for a test drive tomorrow & make a decision in the next few weeks. If it is for sale soon, it'll be up on here 1st.

You will NEVER sell danial sun . . . . . .

STOP KIDDING YOURSELF :)