Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Exhaust note on G60's...

AS I haven't ever seen another modified G60 apart from my mates Golf (the white 5 door in the members gallery) I was wondering what sort of exhaust note everyone gets from theirs? Mine seems to be very raspy when I give it some, but on idle, it's very farty, to me, sounds like a highly tuned/cammed turbo car, does anyone else get this? It sounds fairly rough if I'm honest, on idle.

I have a full Milltek system with de-cat, by the way.

Miltek on my G60: Gurgles is what I would call the sound at idle, but quite like that. When giving it some, I honestly don't hear too much, but that could also be due to the CAT and possibly better sound proofing on US-spec Rados, but with the window open, and letting go from the accelerator having revved the engine a bit, it does rasp quite nicely. Not as much as the Powerflow on my Storm Rocco, though :-)

Tempest

lol, again funny noise on tickover then all i hear is the charger on acceleration, i've been told it sounds nice, from passers by

g60's sound horrible. I couldnt put up with that droning racket for more than 5 minutes.

Paul strikes again!!! :lol:

Do you ever have anything nice to say? The question wasn't do you like it but was what does yours sound like? As you haven't got a G60 you don't have to worry about it so perhaps opinions could be kept to yourself as some people like the sound of the G60 over VR's, R32's or whatever else others have!!!

I think I'm in a strop like one that phat is probably in as well!!!!!!

Mine sounds deep and throaty at idle, drony when slowly accelerating through the gears, but then very deep and v6-ish when giving it some, not farty at all really.

My zorst is a custom system with a large middle box, I don't know who built it though. I never really hear the 'charger', but then i've never had a standard exhaust.......

mine opens up bigtime at around 5k and sounds like a king kong hunting some MILF....

dont care what you VR6 boys say, but how can you say a G60 sound's orrible... tut tut tut

g60's sound horrible. I couldnt put up with that droning racket for more than 5 minutes.

try not to sh*t yourself with enthusiasm mate ;)

Mine's not farty when I give it some, it's raspy as hell, it sounds like a rally car really, well, I like to think so. I only asked as I wondered if anyone elses was a bit farty on idle. Here's a couple of (very) short videos of what mine sound like:

Video 1

Video 2

Oh, and the noise of the Charger? I love it, it can be slightly annoying round town etc - but I can live with it!

i cant hear f*ck all above the boost return mod! but from what i can make out mine sounds like an 8v golf gti but then i suppose it should!

The G60 noise is an aquired taste. I used to love the noise of mine. Whatever mods had been done by brookescourt seemed to neutralise the classic G60 'drone' and instead it just sounded like a nice grunty engine..

What I really loved was when you were making progress - as you went past 3,500RPM the engine note really changed and took on a sort of manic whine which just sounded glorious - and as you changed up higher in the rev band you'd get a sort of dump valve style whistle. It was all very addictive stuff - it was worth driving for the noise, let alone the performance!

Problem is whilst driving the car you have no idea really what it sounds like outside. But I know that when I demo'd to a mate in his Renault Laguna how much quicker the Rado was, he pulled up and said "Jesus - I had my windows down and the NOISE from that thing!!" :D

my mate has a G60 golf tweaked up to about 240 bhp, and that sounds absolutely amazing. totally different to the vr engine - much more manic and aggressive. lovely.

Mine is very loud, however as many people have commented - sounds fantastic! not sure how it's going to change with the new engine setup though.

The boost return is that powerful on mine that when you rev the car while stationary that when you let off it bloes all the gravel out from under the car!!!!!

As my mum used to say if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything nice at all. (you big misery)

On tickover mine burbles with quite a "busy" sound.

It's not overly loud when driving gently but when you open it up it sounds like a manic Flymo (see avatar) P)

mine is seriously loud on tick over not farty quite a constant burble with slight change! but when engine has been heated and ive given it a nailing its sounds even better in 3rd gear 3500-4000rpm onwards it sounds beautiful all my mates comment i love hearing the charger squeal when change from 3rd to 4th at high revs i just like putting my spoiler up when i'ver got a saxo up my arse i then wait a little while make him think im not interested then bye bye and they dont ever catch up!

what does the boost return mod do is it worth getting one?

Well, whilst now talking on G60 sounds in general: I remember the day we were queueing at Harwich port to get onto the ferry for the Karmann event back in September, and this bloke in his Alfa Romeo next to my Rado (Jim at the wheel, revving a bit :lol:), thought it was a V6 engine :lol: I personally do love the overall grunt of the G60 at low revs, threatening sound backed up by nice performance when you do thrash it a little :-)

Tempest

Had both and the G60 is a strange sounding beastie which you learn to like probably because its little bit different to the normal. Still think the best Mk2 is the G60.

VR is instantly more likeable though.