Sign in to follow this  
Eug001

Corrado BHP question

Dose anyone know why the 2.0l 16 valve golf has 148bhp and the corrado only 136bhp

Can the extra bhp be released easy enough as I have just bought a 94 corrrado 2.0l 16 valve and its been well looked after with full VAG service history with 2 women owners with 100,000 miles on the clock but my Mk2 golf 1.8 16valve felt faster with 157,000 on the clock

Thanks

But the figures quoted will be flywheel so the weight of the car shouldn't come into play. Should purely be engine power.

is it not a difference in size of throttle bodies, dont quote me on it im not a valver nut, but i bet one will be along shortly to correct me

But the figures quoted will be flywheel so the weight of the car shouldn't come into play. Should purely be engine power.

slap me down for being a fool, but shouldn't the weight of the car have a direct bearing regardless of where they take the power reading???

140 bhp in a 1 tonne car will be slower than 150 bhp in a 1 tonne car regardless of wether its at the wheels or flywheel?

I can see why VW put the power down on the corrado when they were new, if it had 150bhp it wouldnt be to far behind a G60 in performance, so why by a G60! Iam hoping its something simple like a throttle body change from a golf.

I had a 205 gti 1.6 as my last car and that would be in front of the corrado to 60 or 70 mph but by a ton its out of breath and the corrado would be well in front by then but again i would put that down to the pug being made of tin foil and blue tac, with a fantastic little engine

The corrado is an excellent car and ive only had it 4 days looking foward to many more

The corrado 2l 16v has 136bhp because it has milder inlet cam and cat.The golf mk3 2l 16v is a tall block with different spec cams again.

If you want more power,fit an 1800 16v inlet cam(i have 1 forsale :wink: )

The corrado 2l 16v has 136bhp because it has milder inlet cam and cat.The golf mk3 2l 16v is a tall block with different spec cams again.

I didnt know the blocks were different on the corrado, I assumed it had the tall block fitted, is it the 1.8 taken out to 2.0 for the corrado?

the golf is a diff injection system also, there is lots of power to be had from the rado 2l16v so it likly just reflects the needs of VW at the time in terms of what they wanted to put out there.

edit: all mk2 16v were 1800, mk3 2l 16v used fully digi injection probs motronic or something like that not KE-jet like 2l16v raddo

I didnt know the blocks were different on the corrado, I assumed it had the tall block fitted, is it the 1.8 taken out to 2.0 for the corrado?

Yeah the 2l corrado has a different crank but the block is same dimensions as 1800 kr

I can see why VW put the power down on the corrado when they were new, if it had 150bhp it wouldnt be to far behind a G60 in performance, so why by a G60!

But with the G60, you can spend around £500 on it and get them near to 200 bhp!

Another thing to be aware of is that the KR engine (1.8 16v) in the Corrado use a 228mm flywheel and the Mk 2 Golf engine, also a 1.8 16v labelled KR, uses a 212mm flywheel.

This will have an effect on bhp figures.

Another thing to be aware of is that the KR engine (1.8 16v) in the Corrado use a 228mm flywheel and the Mk 2 Golf engine, also a 1.8 16v labelled KR, uses a 212mm flywheel.

This will have an effect on bhp figures.

LOL the weight of the flywheel will have no effect on bhp

at all :wink:

stick to your day job

right the valver "nut"/(geek) :study: has arrived, the 2 litre golf engine you refer to was fitted to the mark 3 golf & the VW :notworthy: engineering boys spent some serious time developing the engine to give approx 150 bhp, the same 2 litre 16v was supposedly going to be fitted to the then current raddos but this never happened & I believe the raddo had to soldier on with the old 2 litre Passat motor it had enjoyed previously. Not a bad engine but the 150 bhp golf 3 motor would have been better- presumably cost is what prevented this being done. :roll:

The Corrado 2.0 16V is a 9A engine and uses K-Jet mechanical fuel injection, whereas the Golf MK3 2.0 16V is the ABF tall block and uses fully electronic (think it's Digifant or Simos) fuel injection and engine management, hence the extra power. The 9A is a very similar engine to the 1.8 16V KR engine, but with a little more torque thanks to the increased capacity - the power is the same due to the effect of fitting the cat. The MK2 Golf is much lighter than the rado(to the tune of a couple of hundred kilos I should imagine! :lol:), hence why it'll feel quicker than the rado. 136bhp in a 1000kg Golf will certainly be faster than 136bhp in a 1200kg Corrado!