Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Space saver legal issue?

Am I right in thinking that you don't legally have to have a spare but if you do it needs to be legal?

The space saver in my boot is illegal and its £60 :shock: for a new one fitted. Don't know whether to not put one in, get it replaced, or leave it as it is?

Any thoughts.

Can you not just pilfer one from a scrappy? They usually have them stacked up in a corner somewhere.

I'd have thought you'd be able to pick up a space saver from a scrappy for a lot less than £60...

How long were you running on the s/s to get through all the tread?

EDIT: DOH! Dinky beat me :lol:

Only had the car a week, must have been the previous owner.

Never thought about a scrappy. I'm sure they'll have a spare tyre somewhere.

247 car spares, here I come!

Only had the car a week, must have been the previous owner.

Never thought about a scrappy. I'm sure they'll have a spare tyre somewhere.

247 car spares, here I come!

A good 2nd hand space saver with a tyre should cost you a tenner, or you're being ripped off.

David.

The whole wheel itself is about £20 from the dealer and space savers aren't much more IIRC. A good tip for ZW1 owners is to get a 16" 5x112 Passat spacer saver, which also clears the 312s ;-)

Sorry, my bad typing....I meant to say the wheel itself is about £20 and the tyre not much more (seperately).... not many manufacuters make the space saver tyres so kind of monopolise the market.

£60 sounds muchos too expensive.....I'm sure I got quoted £25 from one tyre place to coat my passat SS with rubber.....

I have the SS in my car purely for peace of mind. Tyre foam is all well and good for 'normal' punctures but if you get a slashed sidewall, blowout or nail in the side etc, only a SS will get you going again.....especially if you're not a member of the AA!

Only snag is it won't go over the front hubs (312 brakes), so I'm gonna have to get a 16" SS in 5x100 flavour.

Just to answer the first post, you're correct, you don't have to have one, in fact some new cars now don't come with a spare - just a can of trye weld stuff...

Only snag is it won't go over the front hubs (312 brakes), so I'm gonna have to get a 16" SS in 5x100 flavour.

Or just have to swap a back wheel for a front, then put the SS on the back.

Or just have to swap a back wheel for a front, then put the SS on the back.

That'd be fun on the side of the M-way.

Just to answer the first post, you're correct, you don't have to have one, in fact some new cars now don't come with a spare - just a can of trye weld stuff...

or run-flats... now they're not cheap to replace.

David.

The instructions for using space savers insist that they're not to be used on the front, you're s'posed to swop the buggered front for a rear and put the SS on the rear, and then do no more than 50mph for the shortest distance possible. If not, if you crashed the insurance gits will have a field day :x

Mine was good for an 85 mile trip home one day, i did slid up to 65mph a couple of times :oops: but got 48.5 miles to the gallon, which is good even for a valver :angel:

why didnt someone tell me this before as i put mine on the front before,happened to be a 13" polo space saver that barely went over the standards brakes as well.got me home though even if it was mildy warm at the end of the journey.

Did all Corrados come with a space saver then?

I opened my boot and found a G60 alloy in mine :) It's just a shame I don't have matching G60 alloys on the car :(

i had a full size alloy in mine where first owner must have had it as an optional extra but i took it out so i could have a flat boot rather than a raised hump in it.