Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

VW contacted me re: Scirocco

lets face it... what we love about it wont mean a thing to them, its what they want to build into the next generation of cars.

We Want...

A new Corrado that looks like a Corrado (not some completely different concept soft top pish)

Over powered rwd

must have a uppy downy spoiler

Built by Karmann,

3dr ONLY (proper 2+2 coupe)

feel free to add to the list... :lol:

That just about does it for me but I feel these points should be added:

With no 3rd party built crappo sunroof mechanism and some high grade steel components in the door handle mechanisms.. :wink:

Understated but aggressive looks would drop in on my list.

Oh and it has to go around corners really really well too. :twisted:

Built by Karmann,

As far as the "new" Scirocco is concerned, that's definitely not going to happen :-(

According to the latest newspaper articles over in Germany VW have just decided to locate production to Setubal in Portugal, to remain "cost-effective". That's the same plant where the Sharan (Galaxy for Ford, Alhambra for Seat) and the Eos Cabrio are built.

Tempest

Will hopefully find out more tomorrow in Berlin, although we're now told that we have to sign a gagging-clause !!! Funny that, as it's us who should make VW sign the gagging-cluase, as it's us who have to do the presentations to VW.

Oh well ...

Tempest

Off to bed, getting up again in 6 hours or so, off to the airport, off to VW in Berlin armed with a PP presentation, a collage, loads of Rocco toys (books, models, tie-pin - which I'll be wearing on my tie :-) - watch, etc.) :-)

Tempest

Who cares if it has any impact on what they actually do with the car - it's a freebie! :)

(And Eric - didn't you think of ringing that number before posting it on the forum, just to check? ;) )

LOL - I can picture him turning up in a Rocco printed shirt, tie, headscalf, watch, rubber... etc. etc.

Back again after a tiring but truly exciting day :-)

didn't you think of ringing that number before posting it on the forum

No, as I was in a hurry to get off to a customer.

I can picture him turning up in a Rocco printed shirt, tie, headscalf, watch, rubber

Not far off, but with a tie with a red Mk1 Rieger Rocco tieclip, see piccie below :lol:

The other piccie is a group shot of 8 of us together with the VW-team.

Got into a truly freezing Berlin at 12:15 (-10 °C or something), met up with my other German Sciroccoforum mates, had a pizza, went off to the conference building, where we were welcomed by the VW-team with drinks (woohay).

Instead of the 1 hour as originally planned, they did take 2 hours to listen to our presentations, ask questions (most of them were quite intelligent), take some group shots, and have coffee and biscuits along with more individual discussion rounds.

The VW people were all marketing people, most of them had owned a Scirocco, which was a good start, liked the Corrado, (one openly admitted he preferred the G60, so there :lol:), and really wanted to get to the bottom of what we like about our current Sciroccos and what we expected from the new one. I told them about the UK market and desires/needs :-)

We pretty much all agreed on the shape (preferably like the Mk1 Rocco, corners, no round jellybean crap, must not look like a Golf at all), handling (I even stated, that I don't want Bosch's finest gadgets like ABS, ESB and all sorts of other crap 3-letter acronyms, as the Rocco never needed them in the first place thanks to its solid mechanical engineering, compared to electronics patching dogdy mechanics), weight (light, hence not needing outrageously powerful engines just to shift all that weight, like in all modern cars), etc.

They assured us that all the pictures that have been published so far by all the German "Springer Verlag" magazines (AutoExpress in the UK, AutoBild in Germany) are fakes, and the final product will not look like these fakes. We made it quite clear that we did not like the front (too Mk5 Golf-like), the rear lights (too Seat-like), but as said, those pictures are definitely fakes.

Enginewise, they're still toying with an entry-level 1.4 Liter FSI (using VWs interpretation of the Eaton compressor, as successfully employed in loads of Mercs already, so in a sense the re-introduction of the Supercharger).

Was good to meet up with my mates again, lots of jokes, and best of all, VW gave each of us a 1/16 scale RC Race Touareg toycar :shock:

Shame the day's over already.

BTW: We were told, that VW had done something similar with a bunch of Golf GTI folks (hence we got loads of questions on Wörthersee, tyre burning, spinning wheel competitions, boy-racing, etc. to which I simply replied "In the UK, the average Golfdriver does not even wear his baseball cap the right way around!" :lol:, the joke they liked, and once again got the message that Rocco and Rado-folk do not wish to be associated with Goof folk, who very often give our hobby a bad reputation). They even wanted to know when the terms Rocco and Corri (as the Rado is affectionately known as in Germany) were invented :lol:

Oh yes, did we make a BIG point of the fact that we wanted the new Rocco to be made by Karmann, yes! Let's see whether they listened :D

2cc: If you're reading this: Hello from Ritchie (Timäääää!!! :lol:), he would like to come over to a VW-meet, if you and Seanasie (the chap with the Mk1 Rocco at the Karmann meet) are both there, too.

Tempest

lol - great picture Eric. Not often I see you in a shirt and tie :D

The day sounds superb - so well done to you and the other Rocco nuts for letting them know how the enthusiasts feel! Lets just see what they can come up with now, eh? :)

Well played mate. Did they give any solid indication of when we might see it or when it's going to be available? It is interesting about those pictures being fake, although quite un-Rocco-like I still thought it looked good. I also reckon it will have a hint of MK5/Passat front grill to it.

They did not make any comments at all as to what the new Scirocco would look like, just a hinty of engine stuff.

They did, however, state that they'd stay in touch with us, and nearer to the time of the launch we'd be invited over again :-). At that stage we mentioned the word "test-drive", and they cringed a bit :lol:

As far as those pircture in AutoExpress et al being fakes, well, they can ultimately tell us anything, as until the real thing has been unveiled at the Frankfurt Motorshow in September 1997 (according to the German AA mag that I get), we won't know what's true and what's not.

Tempest

As far as those pircture in AutoExpress et al being fakes, well, they can ultimately tell us anything, as until the real thing has been unveiled at the Frankfurt Motorshow in September 1997 (according to the German AA mag that I get), we won't know what's true and what's not.

Tempest

Blimey, does it have a flux capasitor aswell?

Well, the original Scirocco was designed by the same bloke who designed the DeLorean, so anything's possible...:)

OK OK, of course I meant 2007, but you all got the message :lol:, well at least I hope :lol:

Yes, we also talked about the DeLorean, actually :-)

The best question from the VW team was: "What do you actually do at these meets where you all camp around your cars etc.?" :lol: We were too ashamed of telling the truth, which, of course is, to get mega pi**ed !!! :lol:

Tempest

Been trying to work out where you were in the pic taken outside... and my best guess is the roof of the building with the Mercedes Star behind the Europa Center at the top of the K-damm. :?

Europa-Center_am_Breitscheidplatz.jpg

Good guess, Musicman, as no doubt you've spotted the Gedächtniskirche in the background of the first picture (that church that got bombed by the allies during WW2, and was left in that state, similar to Coventry Cathedral, come to think of it), but no, we weren't on the Merc-tower.

The Merc-tower was actually to the left of us in that first picture, we were careful for it not to appear in our pictures, well the VW-team were at least :lol:

There is another high-riser right next to the Merc-tower, called the Eden tower (word Eden on the top), on the 10th floor in the PanAm suite, which looked horribly 70s, which would have been fine, if it hadn't been the run-down look et al.

Here's a video clip that Dirk assembled for the meet, called "Scirocco Emotions", certainly brought a tear to many a true Rocco-nutter's eye, and the VW people took to it like wildfire :-)

http://www.scirocco2.de/scirocco_emotions_pc.avi 30 MB DiVX download

Tempest

Nice one Eric, glad you got there in the end.

Is it me? I downloaded the emotions link above and only got a soundtrack :?